Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1916p Lincoln cent with "some" toning.
I posted this on some other sites as well so you may have seen it but I wanted to share it here as well.

Unfortunately the particulars evade me about acquiring it but I think it involved someone liquidating their or a relatives collection from an album.

Attachments

• 1916pTonedRev1_800.jpg
    1916pTonedRev1_800.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 90
  • 1916pTonedObv1_800.jpg
    1916pTonedObv1_800.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 86

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Great looking coin for its age. Wonder if it was heated up somehow to get the rainbow effect, similar to throwing into a campfire a BALL of rolled up copper wire to get colored flame effect.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
it escapes me ? i dont see a p ?

Prior to the 2017-P cent, all Philadelphia minted were shown as BLANK below the date, and it was and has always been assumed that a plain date without a mint mark was from Philadelphia. All the other mint marks were given their symbol of the city where minted, as: Denver, San Francisco, Carson City, New Orleans, etc.
Look in your Red Book as to others, history, etc., you'll see it all there.

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
Prior to the 2017-P cent, all Philadelphia minted were shown as BLANK below the date, and it was and has always been assumed that a plain date without a mint mark was from Philadelphia. All the other mint marks were given their symbol of the city where minted, as: Denver, San Francisco, Carson City, New Orleans, etc.
Look in your Red Book as to others, history, etc., you'll see it all there.
look at my life ? do I really have to explain where assuming has gotten me. i hate that word. hate it hate it hate it

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Look in your Red Book as to others, history, etc., you'll see it all there. Usually when somebody refers to a P coin it's always Philly.]

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Not all mints are still in existence however.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PetesPockets55

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the comments.

DozerD- I know what you mean about heat causing the color, but not this one. Personally I think part of the reason Proofs can have better toning is because of the extra pressure of the strike. Higher pressure creates higher temps.

This type of toning is generally considered to be the result of being in an album. The chemicals (sulfur etc) tend to affect from the rims inward.

OP
OP
PetesPockets55

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
look at my life ? do I really have to explain where assuming has gotten me. i hate that word. hate it hate it hate it

Relax a little Nomad and catch your breath for a second!

And believe that any coin with no mint mark is credited with being made at the Philly mint.
(The hated "A" word was not involved in the making of this statement. :icon_thumleft:)

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a really nice and beautifully toned early Lincoln Cent! Congrats on the acquisition wherever it was made and from whom!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful coin! :occasion14:

OP
OP
PetesPockets55

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the positive comments. This 1916 is an easy one to like.

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Beautiful early Wheat with exactly the toning I like.....curious you mentioned "proof" up above.....are you saying this is a matte proof?.....the thick square rims would lead me to believe so but not too sure of any other diagnostics.....thanks for sharing it!

HH all!

Greg

OP
OP
PetesPockets55

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful early Wheat with exactly the toning I like.....curious you mentioned "proof" up above.....are you saying this is a matte proof?.....the thick square rims would lead me to believe so but not too sure of any other diagnostics.....thanks for sharing it!

HH all!

Greg

Sorry for any confusion. Not saying it is a matte proof. I was just talking about the beautiful toning that can occur on proofs, possibly as a result of the higher striking pressures.

ps. I see you are in the beautiful Berkshires. Near Great Barrington? Relatives from way back in that area.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
While the 1916-P Lincoln "Wheat" Cent is an exceptional coin, it is not a Matte Proof that I can see and PetesPockets55 even stated that he is not saying it is a Matte Proof. There are a lot of qualifiers a 1916-P Lincoln Cent must meet to be a Matte Proof.

https://www.google.com/search?q=191...hcQ9QEwBHoECAkQBA#imgrc=_Dyb6aOw7Ywo6M:&vet=1

https://coins.ha.com/itm/proof-lincoln-cents/1916-1c-pr65-red-pcgs-cac/a/1258-3903.s

https://coins.ha.com/itm/proof-linc...y-1-050-proof-lincoln-cents-were/a/330-5764.s

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/album/114081

Last edited:

catyron

Apr 15, 2019
Forestville, California
Detector(s) used
Old Maps, Dowsing, Borrowed detecting equipment from friends.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What beautiful toning. That's a lovely coin, and well presented as eye candly indeed. Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread