Subtle differences.

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Is it with experience that I will be able to tell what causes certain subtle differences ?
My point.
Two 1939 pennies.
The right coin the loop of the 9 is wider than the left coin.
The 9 on the left coin is positioned higher than the one on the right.
The 9 on the right side coin is also thinner.
I'm kinda cross-eyed :hello: in trying to determine factors such as wear and possible misalignment.
20190407_210820_HDR~3.jpg

Something else I have been looking very closely at is the polishing lines on coins and the mistakes or accidents that someone at the mint tried polishing out!
A true headache..but, I love it!

Mike

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it with experience that I will be able to tell what causes certain subtle differences ?
My point.
Two 1939 pennies.
The right coin the loop of the 9 is wider than the left coin.
The 9 on the left coin is positioned higher than the one on the right.
The 9 on the right side coin is also thinner.
I'm kinda cross-eyed :hello: in trying to determine factors such as wear and possible misalignment.
View attachment 1700527

Something else I have been looking very closely at is the polishing lines on coins and the mistakes or accidents that someone at the mint tried polishing out!
A true headache..but, I love it!

Mike
These two coins are a nice side by side example of different die states. Sometimes the polishing is for regular die maintenance, which extends the life of the die.

A)Yes it will become easier because you are curious enough to ask questions.
B)Not noticing any difference in the "loops" though.
C)Last 9 on the right coin is not higher. 939 on both coins are even at the tops. An optical illusion I think. (I put a piece of paper across the tops of both coins and they are even but slightly out of alignment with each other.)
D)This is an example of die wear from polishing. As the die is polished to remove die flow lines along the outer edge of the die, metal is removed, which removes the depth of the devices.

Click this link for die setup cross sectional diagram.
(FYI- This link shows the reverse as the hammer die but that isn't always the case.)

OP
OP
BC1969

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Hehe, I realized my mistake after I posted that.
The right coin was turned slightly.
Learning to properly photograph the coins is almost as difficult as learning about the coins lol

One thing I am really focused on now is MD and DDD.
I could really see how a little knowledge could be dangerous to people who collect/invest in variety coins.
I've seen some absolutely beautiful worthless doubling on coins that just isn't a true doubled die.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Mike

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're welcome and most collectors have been wowed by the extreme cases of MD. I'm even in awe of the smaller isolated cases that can affect 1 letter or area of a device.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread