Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By davest
  • 1 Post By davest

Thread: rolls of Lincoln Wheat and Memorials

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Nov 2007
    somewhere between here and there, south of over there but north of that place
    titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
    921 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

rolls of Lincoln Wheat and Memorials

from a previous post in CRH, I have approx 150 rolls of said pennies that were filled throughout the ages and I inherited them.

Am trying to figure out the best way to sell without going through the entire lot 1 at a time. Suggestions are appreciated. Alot are in plastic tubes but the largest lot are in paper wrap.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pennies.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	1711130  
    ToddsPoint and Dozer D like this.
    when you tug on a single thing in nature, you'll find it's connected to the rest of the world. John muir

us
    Jan 2013
    Maryland
    Bounty Hunter
    1135 times
    Metal Detecting
    Most of the tubes and rolls have identifiers on them. For instance, I see on e tube marked "1955 D B.U. (Brilliant Uncirculated?). Is the entire tube filled with 1955 D cents? Or is it a mixed bag of cents with varying dates?

Nov 2007
    921 times
    each tube and each roll has the year and the previous owners evaluation of the coins. They have not been tpg'd. the roll with 1955 D on it has just that, the roll with 1976 D on it is just that, there is not a mix of coins in each roll.

They are part of an inheritance pertaining to my wife and her sister.

I am looking for advice, I am not interested in selling on TNet.
    when you tug on a single thing in nature, you'll find it's connected to the rest of the world. John muir

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    OC, CA
    XP Deus, Equinox 800 & 600 720i Stealth Scoop
    6395 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Very cool Davest! Maybe a coin shop consignment? Best of luck with the sale!

We are not what we take, we are what we leave.

Dec 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    Garrett Ace 250
    116 times
    Although it would take a little work on your part to take pictures and make the listings, you could try to sell them a roll at a time or multiple rolls at a time via ebay auctions. The final bidder will set the price instead of you trying to figure it out up front. I will caution that if you haven't bought/sold a number items on ebay, some buyers are wary of sellers with no feedback, so you may or may not get maximum value, but I can't say you definitely won't either.

Just set a minimum starting price you could live with for what you are selling if you only get 1 bid and make sure your auction ends at a time when people are actually looking at auctions and not in the middle of the night or some other odd time. Assuming the final price on each auction will be $10 or more you can more approximate the ebay and paypal fees as ~13% of the final price (item + shipping). You'll get at least 50 free listings a month, so you can probably spread them out enough such that you only use your free listings.

Just a quick search of sold items on ebay says that a number of 1958-D BU rolls sold for $10 or more and circulated rolls for closer to $2.50 + about $4 to $5 shipping. If selling multiple rolls at once just make sure that the shipping you are charging will cover your actual shipping charges.

Even if you don't want to study every coin, take a picture of the coins out of the roll so the buyer knows the condition of the coins are buying unless you are able to accurately describe them. That is unless the roll is sealed such that opening it would damage it, but that doesn't appear to be the case with yours.

Whether or not that works for you would depend on the amount of effort you are willing to put forth. Other choices would be to sell them via a free craigslist or facebook marketplace ad, but then it would be best to know what you want for the coins first. You can ask for offers, but if you do so, just prepare to be low balled as there are some people on those sites that are likely looking to only buy cheap.

I haven't bought or sold many coins and I haven't been actively in the coin market since about 5 to 6 years ago, but if I remember correctly the going price for common '40s and '50s circulated wheat cents was between 3 and 5 cents each then. If you have '30s or earlier or BU ones, they should be worth more, but I couldn't tell you how much off the top of my head as it would depend on exactly what you have.

Hope that helps!

us
    Feb 2012
    2272 times
    Coin roll hunting
    Davest: before you sell yourself short on what you have in those rolls,check the individual coins for condition grades and keep the very best (I.e. XF-AU-BU) they might be better than you thought., then sell those extremely good coins.

Nov 2007
    921 times
    thank you for the replies. I'm not going down the Ebay road though. This is one of those months that I'm selling my house of 40 years, buying another , moving and trying to keep my wife happy with what she's getting from a coin shop for what her dad collected over the years. To sit down, scope and grade what I have on hand is just too much presently.

The .04 to .05 each for the wheaties is pretty much spot on. Thanx again.
    kingskid1611 likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2015
    Oklahoma
    5252 times
    That makes a wonderful inheritance, I really love to collect wheats. You shouldn't have any difficulty selling them just about anywhere.
    Tell me and I'll forget. Show me, and I may not remember. Involve me, and I'll understand. - Tribe Unknown. Those that lie down with dogs, get up with fleas. - Blackfoot

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links