davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
from a previous post in CRH, I have approx 150 rolls of said pennies that were filled throughout the ages and I inherited them.

Am trying to figure out the best way to sell without going through the entire lot 1 at a time. Suggestions are appreciated. Alot are in plastic tubes but the largest lot are in paper wrap.

Attachments

• Pennies.jpg
    Pennies.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 96

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most of the tubes and rolls have identifiers on them. For instance, I see on e tube marked "1955 D B.U. (Brilliant Uncirculated?). Is the entire tube filled with 1955 D cents? Or is it a mixed bag of cents with varying dates?

OP
OP
D

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
each tube and each roll has the year and the previous owners evaluation of the coins. They have not been tpg'd. the roll with 1955 D on it has just that, the roll with 1976 D on it is just that, there is not a mix of coins in each roll.

They are part of an inheritance pertaining to my wife and her sister.

I am looking for advice, I am not interested in selling on TNet.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although it would take a little work on your part to take pictures and make the listings, you could try to sell them a roll at a time or multiple rolls at a time via ebay auctions. The final bidder will set the price instead of you trying to figure it out up front. I will caution that if you haven't bought/sold a number items on ebay, some buyers are wary of sellers with no feedback, so you may or may not get maximum value, but I can't say you definitely won't either.

Just set a minimum starting price you could live with for what you are selling if you only get 1 bid and make sure your auction ends at a time when people are actually looking at auctions and not in the middle of the night or some other odd time. Assuming the final price on each auction will be $10 or more you can more approximate the ebay and paypal fees as ~13% of the final price (item + shipping). You'll get at least 50 free listings a month, so you can probably spread them out enough such that you only use your free listings.

Just a quick search of sold items on ebay says that a number of 1958-D BU rolls sold for $10 or more and circulated rolls for closer to $2.50 + about $4 to $5 shipping. If selling multiple rolls at once just make sure that the shipping you are charging will cover your actual shipping charges.

Even if you don't want to study every coin, take a picture of the coins out of the roll so the buyer knows the condition of the coins are buying unless you are able to accurately describe them. That is unless the roll is sealed such that opening it would damage it, but that doesn't appear to be the case with yours.

Whether or not that works for you would depend on the amount of effort you are willing to put forth. Other choices would be to sell them via a free craigslist or facebook marketplace ad, but then it would be best to know what you want for the coins first. You can ask for offers, but if you do so, just prepare to be low balled as there are some people on those sites that are likely looking to only buy cheap.

I haven't bought or sold many coins and I haven't been actively in the coin market since about 5 to 6 years ago, but if I remember correctly the going price for common '40s and '50s circulated wheat cents was between 3 and 5 cents each then. If you have '30s or earlier or BU ones, they should be worth more, but I couldn't tell you how much off the top of my head as it would depend on exactly what you have.

Hope that helps!

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Davest: before you sell yourself short on what you have in those rolls,check the individual coins for condition grades and keep the very best (I.e. XF-AU-BU) they might be better than you thought., then sell those extremely good coins.

OP
OP
D

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you for the replies. I'm not going down the Ebay road though. This is one of those months that I'm selling my house of 40 years, buying another , moving and trying to keep my wife happy with what she's getting from a coin shop for what her dad collected over the years. To sit down, scope and grade what I have on hand is just too much presently.

The .04 to .05 each for the wheaties is pretty much spot on. Thanx again.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That makes a wonderful inheritance, I really love to collect wheats. You shouldn't have any difficulty selling them just about anywhere.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 3-5 cents per coin ($1.50-2.50 per roll) is for circulated examples of wheat. Most memorials would be 1-2 cents each but some years are very desirable.

If there are uncirculated rolls of wheats the price would vary substantially. As an example, I paid $7 for an unopened roll of 1957d about 2 months ago and the shop wanted over $100 for a roll of uncirculated 1947s. The shops use the grey sheets to determine the value of most rolls. They also have a lot of overhead and will try to minimize their offer if you go to them unprepared or in a rush and you will not get full value for them.

At the very least definitely print a list of rolls by date and whether they are circulated or uncirculated. This will make their job easier and let them see you have spent some time to know the value.

Best of luck with all your efforts on your wife's behalf. (Maybe she can make the list on the computer to print it out?)

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty cool be better to hold on to em give em to your kids or grandkids

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread