1997 closed AM?

PennyG

Apr 21, 2014
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1557618588.934826.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1557618605.937204.jpg

Not sure what is going on with the ā€˜1ā€™ in 1997. Iā€™d like to know if this could be a closed AM.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's just a stain on the 1. All 1997 P cents are close AM.

OP
OP
PennyG

PennyG

Apr 21, 2014
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's just a stain on the 1. All 1997 P cents are close AM.

Not a stain, itā€™s just not there. Itā€™s rough where it was. Damage after production no doubt.
Thanks for the info on the 97 P

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
The 1 is there as when blown up I see it plainly, but it is stained with some corrosion.

OP
OP
PennyG

PennyG

Apr 21, 2014
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 1 is there as when blown up I see it plainly, but it is stained with some corrosion.

Perhaps the corrosion is what makes it rough. I really didnā€™t pay much attention to the number . I was more interested in if the A M was a good date to find. As usual this thread has proven to teach me something, once again, and now I know itā€™s not.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
The 1997-P "Wide AM" Lincoln Cent is what you would want to find. I don't think any have been found but it is theorized that some may exist. The bubble between the "A" and "M" is probably a plating bubble due to contaminants that got under the plating.

OP
OP
PennyG

PennyG

Apr 21, 2014
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 1997-P "Wide AM" Lincoln Cent is what you would want to find. I don't think any have been found but it is theorized that some may exist. The bubble between the "A" and "M" is probably a plating bubble due to contaminants that got under the plating.

Thank you Huntsman. This is a hobby I share with my six year old son. Anytime we get change we look over it very closely. He will be excited to hear that none have been found. Even at six he likes a good challenge. [emoji4]

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
PennyG: cherish every moment with your son, a hobby as this will help in the future. I failed to do the same with my five kids. Now they are all grown up with kids of their own, wish I could TURN the clock back. But I now have 13-grandchildren to possibly instill this hobby in some of them.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Might I suggest that you pick up a few guidebooks on coins. Whitmanā€™s Red Book, and Whitmanā€™s Cherrypickers Guide, Volume One. Their equivalents from other publishers would do. I also use printed, blown up images of varieties and different error types to help me out.

Time for more coffee.

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
PennyG, I do see something unusual that I just noticed on the back of the penny. Look at the U in United and tell me that isn't a smaller u inside of it. It may even be an O, but the magnification online only goes so far.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PennyG, I do see something unusual that I just noticed on the back of the penny. Look at the U in United and tell me that isn't a smaller u inside of it. It may even be an O, but the magnification online only goes so far.

Probably a little md.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread