2019 W Quarter. Which one do i buy?

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In all my years of coin collecting i have never found a key date coin in the wild. When it comes to the new quarters my luck is still the same. 1000 dollars in quarter rolls and all i have is 4 Lowells with the P mint mark.

So, my best option is to purchase one but which one do i get? I see graded quarters on ebay going for 200+ and ungraded ones going for as low as 20.

Are these quarters at the lowest cost point they will ever be at or are they priced too high? Would you purchase an ungraded coin and send it in to be graded or leave it as is? Or, skip all that and get the highest grade coin early in the game?

Also, if i purchase one that has already been graded, or send one in to be graded, which grading service do i go with? PCGS graded coins are going for much higher prices over NGC graded coins. Why is this?

So many questions! Thanks for your input.

Last edited:

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
As a long term investment, no way. If you have a buyer that will pay you more than you pay, turn it. Just my opinion. It's just a quarter with a w on it...

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any one you can get in your change. I made $54.75 on the one I found in a Coinstar. Why ANYONE would pay $55 for a Quarter is WAY beyond me!:skullflag:

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, i just one one of each. I'm not looking to turn the coin for profit but at the same time i don't want to be throwing money away on something that will not at least hold its value in the near future. Since finding a quarter here in central NC is looking pretty grim, i feel certain i will have to purchase one.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Well, i just one one of each. I'm not looking to turn the coin for profit but at the same time i don't want to be throwing money away on something that will not at least hold its value in the near future. Since finding a quarter here in central NC is looking pretty grim, i feel certain i will have to purchase one.

I suspect when the dust settles that the coins will be a $5 coin for each issue. No need to buy a graded one as the prices are inflated now. Wait and watch auctions for ungraded specimens. If you feel that you don't want to wait and miss out, then $20/each will be the price you pay. Just don't expect the series to be worth $100 next year or years afterward.

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess all the hype is tied to the low mintage. When you look at other coins with 2 million or less produced you see a significant increase in value compared to other coins. I fear this production will lead to other coins being produced in the same manor and pretty much take the same turn baseball cards took in the 90's. Huge production numbers with a few inserts leading to inflated values and eventual collapse of those values within just a few years.

I don't know,

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got 30. I cheated. I bought some of those "ender" rolls on Ebay and got several out of each roll. It cost extra of course. I have also now gone through $15,000 in quarters and found 6 of the thirty that way. In BU for the Lowell and Marianas, the window of finding a BU is closing. The last one in change MIGHT be MS-62, but I doubt it. The first few were MS-64 and MS-66. I have 10 in for grading right now are they are visually flawless, so I'm hoping most grade MS-66.

There will be 2 million of each kind struck. People everywhere are out looking for them now. Some will be put in the coin machines repeatedly and won't be worth squat. The BU's are the way to go. The population report for the MS-66 is 598 at PCGS as of today. I have one of them. There are 13 MS-67's out there. 843 MS-64's of which I have 4. So they will be around, but think about it, the 843 MS-64's, that's not even one per coin dealer in the US and the BU's are almost done with.

So you probably should buy for the sake of having soon, as an investment, I wouldn't go there, silver bullion is probably better right now, only the slabbed coins will probably stay up in price over time. The MS-64's started at $300 and are now around $75, so most of the settling out is probably done with. Frankly, if it drops $10 I don't especially care, with a low pop, I think we're close enough to bottom on the graded coins now.

Well, off to the bank to get another box of quarters. It's impossible (or nearly so) to get a box of just 2019's.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
The fact is, Smokey, that I would guess less than 5% of mintage has been sent in for grading. I wouldn't pay for the cost of grading if you threw in the ms 64 coin free of charge. I'd rather give money to the needy than NGC or PCGS.
I'm with Terry Soloman. These new quarters are low relief modern coins that are not going to hold their numismatic value over time if at all. I guess the ms 70 would still demand it's greatness, but who cares? What coin collector pays high dollar for a modern coin? My guess is the one that has it sold for more and that's about it.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, boredom finally came and I stopped with the quarters. I do it for the chase, just like detecting. I like having mine in slabs because I don't lose them quite as fast. I still have two good coins missing in the house right now. It's always something. I don't really have any kind of coin collection per se, I just go on tears from time to time. It's the chase for me!

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokey, you got it right about the chase. I have never purchased a coin in my life. I prefer to find them while metal detecting or searching my change. Sometimes i pick up a roll or two of pennies but i am not an avid coin roll hunter. So, a thousand dollars of quarters is more than i have ever done for a coin. The reason i am considering purchasing one of these quarters is i feel i may miss out on a potential 1909-s VDB kind of opportunity.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ammoman, I think it will be more like a 1950-D nickel opportunity. 2 million is still a lot. Most will be lost or scratched to where no collector would want them. Now is the time.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Smokey, you got it right about the chase. I have never purchased a coin in my life. I prefer to find them while metal detecting or searching my change. Sometimes i pick up a roll or two of pennies but i am not an avid coin roll hunter. So, a thousand dollars of quarters is more than i have ever done for a coin. The reason i am considering purchasing one of these quarters is i feel i may miss out on a potential 1909-s VDB kind of opportunity.

As Smokey said, 2M is still a lot. The novelty is the fact that they are minted in West Point and they are only available from circulation (no direct sale to the public). If you are looking to chase a tiny mintage, then look at the San Francisco mintages. The business strikes are minted to demand but they average 1.4M to 1.6M per issue. The strikes are absolutely fantastic and you can assemble a set with San Fran business strikes and San Fran proofs side by side. Take it one step further and you can assemble a San Fran business strike/San Fran Clad proof/San Fran Silver proof. https://mintnewsblog.com/circulating-quality-san-francisco-america-the-beautiful-quarters/

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It cant hurt to buy one or more of each if people knew what would be collectible down the road they would be very wealthy and it wouldnt be collecting just investing. In 1970 a hemi cuda convertible 5000 of the show room floor worth a ton now and many others bit coin also who knew key dates back in the past the 1916 d merc or 1909 svdb penny does anyone know if gold or silver will boom again no one knew silver would be worth as much back in the day it was givin out in change or baseball cards the ones we put on our bike wheel babe ruth etc ect honus wagner lol we can make educated guesses sure but its all a risk and a hope.I collect these coins and we will see its not a huge investment and its fun I know its money but think of all the hours and hours we spend on looking for coins in the ground we invest alot of our time in and most found coins are enviornmentally damaged so invest in what you enjoy ya never know.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread