A couple of coins what do you think they would grade

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pick these coins up at an auction for $70 with a couple of other silver coins I believe I got a good deal I just have a couple of questions on some of the coins if I can get some expert help

1879 s Morgan dollar the question I have is what do you think it would grade and on the date would that be considered double die and on the backside where the mint mark is and just above it which looks like a three or an M any suggestions IMG_9369.jpg IMG_9370.jpg IMG_9371.jpg IMG_9372.jpg IMG_9373.jpg IMG_9374.jpg IMG_9375.jpg IMG_9376.jpg

1925 standing liberty quarter what would you think the grade would be IMG_9377.jpg IMG_9378.jpg

1941 Mercury dime what would you think the grade would be on this one and on the bands would it be considered a full band IMG_9379.jpg IMG_9380.jpg IMG_9381.jpg IMG_9382.jpg IMG_9383.jpg

1935 Buffalo nickel what do you believe the grade would be on this and would it be considered a full horn IMG_9384.jpg IMG_9385.jpg IMG_9386.jpg
Thank you for looking and your input

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's hard to give exact grades based on photos. That being said, I'll give you my opinion if you like.
#1 Nice details that would probably grade MS 65 if not for some handling damage on both the obverse and reverse. Looks like the mintmark took some of the hit. Minor machine doubling that wouldn't add to the value.
#2 Maybe MS63. decent strike, but, not full head as I like to see them.
#3 Funky looking Merc. What is that band across the head? Is it peeling? Looks like it has some handling damage too. Not quite full split bands. AU55?
#4 XF40 Being a common date and in that grade, the horn isn't much of an issue or bonus.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That said, what Cudamark said It is impossible to grade coins in Mint state without having them in front of you. The slightest of variation will skew a grade by up to 5 points. If you really must know, send them in and have them slabbed :)

OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's hard to give exact grades based on photos. That being said, I'll give you my opinion if you like.
#1 Nice details that would probably grade MS 65 if not for some handling damage on both the obverse and reverse. Looks like the mintmark took some of the hit. Minor machine doubling that wouldn't add to the value.
#2 Maybe MS63. decent strike, but, not full head as I like to see them.
#3 Funky looking Merc. What is that band across the head? Is it peeling? Looks like it has some handling damage too. Not quite full split bands. AU55?
#4 XF40 Being a common date and in that grade, the horn isn't much of an issue or bonus.

Thank you for your input on the first coin what are you thoughts on the three Mark just above the mint mark and as for the dime I believe it’s tape resin I got it out of the holder that was framed in a picture frame and they all had tape running across the back to hold them in place

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That said, what Cudamark said It is impossible to grade coins in Mint state without having them in front of you. The slightest of variation will skew a grade by up to 5 points. If you really must know, send them in and have them slabbed :)

I'd start by getting an opinion from a few local coin stores rather than having them slabbed. The slabbing would probably cost more than the coin is worth (assuming you use a reputable grading service such as PCGS or NGC), except for maybe the SLQ.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I could be off but below is my assessment of the coins.

1. MS-64, appears to have Die Clashed "M" Designer's Initial (from the lower neck of bust of Miss Liberty on Obverse) on the ribbon but it would be almost impossible for such to happen. However, there are several 1879-S Morgans with Die Clashing that just seems out of place. Possible Doubled Die as the "1" in the Date appears to have Split Serifs but oddly the "7" has what appears as doubling completely off from the doubling on the "1".

2. MS-62/63

3. I agree with cudamark that it is an AU-55 with Lamination Error on the Obverse from the "E" in LIBERTY extending Southeast across Miss Liberty's hair and the wings. Also, does not have Full Bands and some of the bands are merged together due to damage.

4. Again I agree with cudamark that it is an XF-40 and the remarks. Due to the wear and compression on the Buffalo's head, I suspect that the Horn may have been tooled well after the coin left the Mint.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there way to clean a coin without ruining it on the Mercury dime that is tape resin from where the tape was running across it to hold it in place along with the rest of the coins thanks again for everybody’s input

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Is there way to clean a coin without ruining it on the Mercury dime that is tape resin from where the tape was running across it to hold it in place along with the rest of the coins thanks again for everybody’s input

Acetone should work but there may be some different toning of where there was tape and where there was no tape.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other

Sorry about the assessment of a Lamination Error on the Obverse of the Mercury Dime which you have now identified as being tape residue! In the pic, it really does look like a Lamination Error.

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The "M" on the reverse of the Morgan Dollar is the designer's initial. It also appears on the obverse side at the bottom of the neck. If I were you, I wouldn't clean any of those coins.

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I could be off but below is my assessment of the coins.

1. MS-64, appears to have Die Clashed "M" Designer's Initial (from the lower neck of bust of Miss Liberty on Obverse) on the ribbon but it would be almost impossible for such to happen. However, there are several 1879-S Morgans with Die Clashing that just seems out of place. Possible Doubled Die as the "1" in the Date appears to have Split Serifs but oddly the "7" has what appears as doubling completely off from the doubling on the "1".

2. MS-62/63

3. I agree with cudamark that it is an AU-55 with Lamination Error on the Obverse from the "E" in LIBERTY extending Southeast across Miss Liberty's hair and the wings. Also, does not have Full Bands and some of the bands are merged together due to damage.

4. Again I agree with cudamark that it is an XF-40 and the remarks. Due to the wear and compression on the Buffalo's head, I suspect that the Horn may have been tooled well after the coin left the Mint.

The "M" on the reverse isn't a die clash. The designer's initial appears there on all Morgan dollars.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
The "M" on the reverse isn't a die clash. The designer's initial appears there on all Morgan dollars.

Dang you are right! I either never paid much attention to it in all of my years of collecting coins or I totally forgot about it. It is hard to believe because I have Cherrypicked hundreds of VAM's over the years, some of which were Discovery Coins. However, my memory and health has been going downhill pretty fast over the past few years.

OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here’s a little update on the coins just got them back from grading I think they came out pretty good for the most part they did not grade the 1878 s as a spike Eye
IMG_9595.jpg IMG_9596.jpg IMG_9597.jpg

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like NGC was a bit more generous than I was. :laughing7: I came pretty close though. I guess you decided not to bother with the 1935 Buffalo nickel eh?

OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like NGC was a bit more generous than I was. :laughing7: I came pretty close though. I guess you decided not to bother with the 1935 Buffalo nickel eh?

Yes I’m quite happy with their grades you made good grades by just looking at the photos and yes I decided to pass on the nickel but I do have other coins from that auction that I plan on sending in that are in pretty good shape thank you everyone for your input

OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cheech, did you submit them under a show special at Summer FUN? And if so, what was the promotion?

No I just sent them in the mail from my house

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Cheech, I see that you are in Florida. In the future, you should take advantage of the show specials at the FUN show. The big show is at the beginning of January and a smaller show during the summer. In both cases, the top TPG offer show discounts.

OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the information I’ll look into that

A2coins