Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Results 1 to 12 of 12
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By cheech
  • 1 Post By cudamark
  • 1 Post By huntsman53
  • 1 Post By huntsman53
  • 1 Post By huntsman53
  • 1 Post By Clad2Silver

Thread: A couple of coins what do you think they would grade

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #1
    us
    May 2012
    FL
    white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
    796
    681 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    A couple of coins what do you think they would grade

    I pick these coins up at an auction for $70 with a couple of other silver coins I believe I got a good deal I just have a couple of questions on some of the coins if I can get some expert help

    #1
    1879 s Morgan dollar the question I have is what do you think it would grade and on the date would that be considered double die and on the backside where the mint mark is and just above it which looks like a three or an M any suggestionsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9369.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	459.8 KB 
ID:	1721331Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9370.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	450.1 KB 
ID:	1721332Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9371.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	415.5 KB 
ID:	1721333Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9372.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	344.4 KB 
ID:	1721334Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9373.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	344.9 KB 
ID:	1721335Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9374.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	327.2 KB 
ID:	1721336Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9375.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	441.1 KB 
ID:	1721337Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9376.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	359.0 KB 
ID:	1721338

    #2
    1925 standing liberty quarter what would you think the grade would beClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9377.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	402.8 KB 
ID:	1721339Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9378.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	372.9 KB 
ID:	1721340

    #3
    1941 Mercury dime what would you think the grade would be on this one and on the bands would it be considered a full bandClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9379.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	427.5 KB 
ID:	1721341Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9380.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	419.9 KB 
ID:	1721342Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9381.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	329.0 KB 
ID:	1721343Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9382.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	337.4 KB 
ID:	1721344Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9383.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	311.0 KB 
ID:	1721345

    #4
    1935 Buffalo nickel what do you believe the grade would be on this and would it be considered a full hornClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9384.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	419.6 KB 
ID:	1721346Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9385.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	446.1 KB 
ID:	1721347Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9386.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	279.2 KB 
ID:	1721348
    Thank you for looking and your input
    gold boy likes this.

  2. #2
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    9,332
    6647 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    It's hard to give exact grades based on photos. That being said, I'll give you my opinion if you like.
    #1 Nice details that would probably grade MS 65 if not for some handling damage on both the obverse and reverse. Looks like the mintmark took some of the hit. Minor machine doubling that wouldn't add to the value.
    #2 Maybe MS63. decent strike, but, not full head as I like to see them.
    #3 Funky looking Merc. What is that band across the head? Is it peeling? Looks like it has some handling damage too. Not quite full split bands. AU55?
    #4 XF40 Being a common date and in that grade, the horn isn't much of an issue or bonus.
    masterjedi likes this.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

  3. #3
    Charter Member
    us
    Randy

    Feb 2015
    Fullerton CA
    Minelab CTX 3030 AT Pro
    4,002
    5765 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    That said, what Cudamark said It is impossible to grade coins in Mint state without having them in front of you. The slightest of variation will skew a grade by up to 5 points. If you really must know, send them in and have them slabbed
    Anything That Comes Out of The Dirt Is Awesome!

    Best find 1941 Patek Philippe 2 register flat pusher Chronograph Bought 1,000 Sold 62,000 !!
    First Year 911 Porsche Purchased 36K SOLD 140K!!! Whoo Hoo

  4. #4
    us
    May 2012
    FL
    white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
    796
    681 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by cudamark View Post
    It's hard to give exact grades based on photos. That being said, I'll give you my opinion if you like.
    #1 Nice details that would probably grade MS 65 if not for some handling damage on both the obverse and reverse. Looks like the mintmark took some of the hit. Minor machine doubling that wouldn't add to the value.
    #2 Maybe MS63. decent strike, but, not full head as I like to see them.
    #3 Funky looking Merc. What is that band across the head? Is it peeling? Looks like it has some handling damage too. Not quite full split bands. AU55?
    #4 XF40 Being a common date and in that grade, the horn isn't much of an issue or bonus.
    Thank you for your input on the first coin what are you thoughts on the three Mark just above the mint mark and as for the dime I believe itís tape resin I got it out of the holder that was framed in a picture frame and they all had tape running across the back to hold them in place

  5. #5
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    9,332
    6647 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by trdking View Post
    That said, what Cudamark said It is impossible to grade coins in Mint state without having them in front of you. The slightest of variation will skew a grade by up to 5 points. If you really must know, send them in and have them slabbed
    I'd start by getting an opinion from a few local coin stores rather than having them slabbed. The slabbing would probably cost more than the coin is worth (assuming you use a reputable grading service such as PCGS or NGC), except for maybe the SLQ.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

  6. #6
    us
    Jun 2013
    East Tennessee
    6,869
    6506 times
    I could be off but below is my assessment of the coins.

    1. MS-64, appears to have Die Clashed "M" Designer's Initial (from the lower neck of bust of Miss Liberty on Obverse) on the ribbon but it would be almost impossible for such to happen. However, there are several 1879-S Morgans with Die Clashing that just seems out of place. Possible Doubled Die as the "1" in the Date appears to have Split Serifs but oddly the "7" has what appears as doubling completely off from the doubling on the "1".

    2. MS-62/63

    3. I agree with cudamark that it is an AU-55 with Lamination Error on the Obverse from the "E" in LIBERTY extending Southeast across Miss Liberty's hair and the wings. Also, does not have Full Bands and some of the bands are merged together due to damage.

    4. Again I agree with cudamark that it is an XF-40 and the remarks. Due to the wear and compression on the Buffalo's head, I suspect that the Horn may have been tooled well after the coin left the Mint.
    Last edited by huntsman53; Jun 11, 2019 at 12:59 PM.
    PetesPockets55 likes this.

  7. #7
    us
    May 2012
    FL
    white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
    796
    681 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Is there way to clean a coin without ruining it on the Mercury dime that is tape resin from where the tape was running across it to hold it in place along with the rest of the coins thanks again for everybodyís input

  8. #8
    us
    Jun 2013
    East Tennessee
    6,869
    6506 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cheech View Post
    Is there way to clean a coin without ruining it on the Mercury dime that is tape resin from where the tape was running across it to hold it in place along with the rest of the coins thanks again for everybody’s input
    Acetone should work but there may be some different toning of where there was tape and where there was no tape.
    PetesPockets55 likes this.

  9. #9
    us
    Jun 2013
    East Tennessee
    6,869
    6506 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cheech View Post
    Is there way to clean a coin without ruining it on the Mercury dime that is tape resin from where the tape was running across it to hold it in place along with the rest of the coins thanks again for everybody’s input
    Sorry about the assessment of a Lamination Error on the Obverse of the Mercury Dime which you have now identified as being tape residue! In the pic, it really does look like a Lamination Error.
    cheech likes this.

  10. #10
    us
    Ed

    Jul 2018
    Eastern Connecticut
    Garrett AT Pro Garrett Ace 400 Garrett Pro Pointer
    591
    1687 times
    Metal Detecting
    The "M" on the reverse of the Morgan Dollar is the designer's initial. It also appears on the obverse side at the bottom of the neck. If I were you, I wouldn't clean any of those coins.
    cheech likes this.

  11. #11
    us
    Ed

    Jul 2018
    Eastern Connecticut
    Garrett AT Pro Garrett Ace 400 Garrett Pro Pointer
    591
    1687 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by huntsman53 View Post
    I could be off but below is my assessment of the coins.

    1. MS-64, appears to have Die Clashed "M" Designer's Initial (from the lower neck of bust of Miss Liberty on Obverse) on the ribbon but it would be almost impossible for such to happen. However, there are several 1879-S Morgans with Die Clashing that just seems out of place. Possible Doubled Die as the "1" in the Date appears to have Split Serifs but oddly the "7" has what appears as doubling completely off from the doubling on the "1".

    2. MS-62/63

    3. I agree with cudamark that it is an AU-55 with Lamination Error on the Obverse from the "E" in LIBERTY extending Southeast across Miss Liberty's hair and the wings. Also, does not have Full Bands and some of the bands are merged together due to damage.

    4. Again I agree with cudamark that it is an XF-40 and the remarks. Due to the wear and compression on the Buffalo's head, I suspect that the Horn may have been tooled well after the coin left the Mint.
    The "M" on the reverse isn't a die clash. The designer's initial appears there on all Morgan dollars.

  12. #12
    us
    Jun 2013
    East Tennessee
    6,869
    6506 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Clad2Silver View Post
    The "M" on the reverse isn't a die clash. The designer's initial appears there on all Morgan dollars.
    Dang you are right! I either never paid much attention to it in all of my years of collecting coins or I totally forgot about it. It is hard to believe because I have Cherrypicked hundreds of VAM's over the years, some of which were Discovery Coins. However, my memory and health has been going downhill pretty fast over the past few years.

 

 

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. What would you grade these 4 Coins?
    By Beachkid23 in forum Coins
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Mar 31, 2014, 06:53 PM
  2. Looking to buy these coins, can some help me grade them
    By user13 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Aug 16, 2013, 12:56 PM
  3. What would these coins grade?
    By stumpy041486 in forum Coins
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Mar 20, 2009, 09:01 PM
  4. Help me grade these coins
    By Goes4ever in forum Coins
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Oct 03, 2008, 05:32 PM
  5. Grade my coins
    By coinman66 in forum Coins
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Jul 15, 2007, 10:26 AM
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0