Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4.2 grams, magnetic, IN GOD WE IRUST, no hands on deck, no oars in the water---- not one thing done right :BangHead:. Jeff had some work done ---- he had to go into witness protection:laughing9:

coincommunity has a long thread on this hack job, found mine in a Loomis roll this week.

IMG_9282.JPG IMG_9283.JPG
hope a steep tariff is added to this trade item :tongue3::happysmiley:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More counterfeits of coins and notes can be expected as part of a suite of retaliations for tariffs. Americans do not win in an imbecilic trade war. Its too easy for other countries to switch from buying our exports to get them elsewhere - soybeans from many other countries, lobsters from Canada, just a few obvious examples. Its Economics 101. Once the markets are lost, they will not be easy to re-establish.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More counterfeits of coins and notes can be expected as part of a suite of retaliations for tariffs. Americans do not win in an imbecilic trade war. Its too easy for other countries to switch from buying our exports to get them elsewhere - soybeans from many other countries, lobsters from Canada, just a few obvious examples. Its Economics 101. Once the markets are lost, they will not be easy to re-establish.

You really think these counterfeits are being legally (or illegally for that matter) imported to the U.S. in response (or revenge?) to tariffs on China? The logic escapes me. :icon_scratch: More likely they're being made for the reason every other counterfeit was made throughout history....to make money the easy way, by actually making money.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4.2 grams, magnetic, IN GOD WE IRUST, no hands on deck, no oars in the water---- not one thing done right :BangHead:. Jeff had some work done ---- he had to go into witness protection:laughing9:

coincommunity has a long thread on this hack job, found mine in a Loomis roll this week.

View attachment 1727864 View attachment 1727865

Are my eyes deceiving me, or, is the counterfeit smaller in diameter than a "real" nickel?

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If they're making counterfeit nickels to get rich, they're wasting their time.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The idea that counterfeits are "trade items" subject to imposition of tariffs is the logic that escapes me. Counterfeits are neither imports nor exports. They have always had their own routes of introduction, similar to illegal drugs. There is a definite connection to increased counterfeits of US money by enemies in actual wars and contrived self-serving trade wars.

Last edited:

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weird find, I will have to keep my eye out for them!!!

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Coin on left is NOT EVEN CLOSE to the real thing. But then again, WE have the trained eye for coins, not the general public. How would this coin pass thru the sensitive coin machines these days.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took me a Few Minutes on the Chin.
Was Familiar.

It's got Bob Hopes Chin

IMG_9282.JPG index.jpg

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The idea that counterfeits are "trade items" subject to imposition of tariffs is the logic that escapes me. Counterfeits are neither imports nor exports. They have always had their own routes of introduction, similar to illegal drugs. There is a definite connection to increased counterfeits of US money by enemies in actual wars and contrived self-serving trade wars.

I never said they were trade items, or subject to tariffs. They're obviously not, since counterfeiting our money is illegal here. I believe they're made by criminals trying to make a buck, but, you think the Chinese government is behind these counterfeits as retaliation for increased trade tariffs? Since China holds lots of debt that we owe them, how does reducing the value of our dollar help them? Seems to me that they would want our dollar to be worth more, since they have a lot of them. Counterfeits made in China have been happening for decades, during both Republican and Democrat administrations. That's nothing new.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally think this is play money out of some kid's game. There is absolutely no profit to be made on a 5 cent coin. Just kick the conspiracy theories to the side.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I personally think this is play money out of some kid's game. There is absolutely no profit to be made on a 5 cent coin. Just kick the conspiracy theories to the side.

I am almost certain that enamel is correct in what he stated as I have seen the same coins with a game but can't remember the game.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Agreed, but, if they actually are counterfeits and produced cheaper than it costs to make them, our government needs to contract with them to make our genuine nickels. Our mint claims they lose money making nickels.

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
Last edited:

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA

I agree. If you are going to counterfeit money, wouldn't you counterfeit something with a better return on materials, labor and risk? The prison time is the same for counterfeiting a nickel as it is for a dime, just as the prison time is the same for counterfeiting a dollar bill as it is for a twenty dollar bill. In fact, you would probably get less time selling bootleg alcohol than you would for selling counterfeit money of any denomination.

OP
OP
P

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am almost certain that enamel is correct in what he stated as I have seen the same coins with a game but can't remember the game.

LORDY, I could then list it on Ebay under "toys"---- but,..........still...... the game would be from...........................CHINA :BangHead: :cussing: :angry9: :evil6: :sad5: :protest:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Either way that's a great relic hold onto it

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Similar to the counterfeit sac dollars - this could have been made to circulate in a foreign country that takes USD

ROIGuy

Jun 9, 2019
Palos Park, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600/ Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does it RING UP as a nickel on your AT-PRO? 8-)

View attachment 1727864 View attachment 1727865

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions