Estate sales and Hoards

zbaxter7

Greenie
May 17, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I was recently at a coin show and a guy said he was able to purchase a hoard of civil war tokens from an estate sell. That got me thinking that I should go out and find estates sales and see if I can pick up a hoard or a collection for a good price.

I googled it and found estatesales.net. The online auctions seem to make the coins too expensive. How do y’all go about finding estate sales in order to find coins?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Local newspapers and auctionzip.com, but there is a LOT of competition. I bid on a recent auction on 8 items and got 1.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
EstateSales.Net is the main one. You have to be diligent and check on Sunday for the coming week as details might change. Be attentive to start times and arrive early to place your name on the list. In some cases, you have to sign up a day before. Many of them sill start on a Thursday/Friday so by the time Saturday roll around, the good stuff is gone. If you work M-F during the day, you won't have much success.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
check the local auction people, they will have a schedule for upcoming estate auctions ans sales...

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with the sources Smokey noted and you can also do a google search for Estate Sales and Auctions in your area. Stay away from the online Estate Auctions unless coins being offered by certain Auction companies often sell real cheap. Do keep in mind that there is almost always a Buyer's Premium and often Taxes charged.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Fl. no sales tax on coins as they are considered money (as it was explained to me by an auction house after winning a couple of lots).

Very few to no coins at estate sales in this area. I've been told that they do not come across them because they assume the heirs usually have removed them or they have been liquidated by other means.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Estatesales.net will send you a weekly email with all of the estate sales within a set distance from your home Zip code. You can also set up a search to automatically send you an Email if a sale has a particular type of item you are looking for (such as coins).

I used to attend Estate sales, but I've found they are not very good as they estate sale companies are in the business of knowing what stuff is worth, so it is hard to get a bargain. I've gotten silver coins below spot silver. I've found they are good for Books. There are generally too many for them to search for the good ones, so if you have the time or you know what to look for, you can buy books for $1 or $2 and sell them for more.

Once I was able to get in early because I am the president of the Local Olympic Collectors club. My promise to promote their sale with a few thousand Olympic pins to the members let me in early to scoop up the best pins. Outside of that, not much luck.

Outside of that, I can't think of a time that I actually was able to buy something at an estate sale that was worth while.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a card made up from vista print. Make it look pretty, haha. Tell people at Yardsales you buy coins. Alot don’t call back, some will. Some will show you on the spot. Don’t carry $50 though. Carry $1k+ with you.(maybe like 3k) You may never need it. But you will eventually. These are my 2. Just talk to people. And be genuine. If you can educate, they will show you. I can’t tell you the amazing things I’ve seen doing this!
***I got tired of people telling me that they have a watch somewhere in their dresser they haven’t seen for 10 or 15 years . Hence the back side of the black card.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1562652418.858660.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1562652455.472184.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread