Are most errors or varieties over priced?

mdj

May 15, 2011
midwest
Detector(s) used
ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the cool looking ones, the double dies and the 1943-44 off metal ones, just these obvious kinds. But the close or far am's or something that has to be magnified to the nth degree, why? I have both 1970 s large date and small date cents because my 7070 had a slot for both, but show it to a non collector and try to explain the difference. Can these types coins hold their value in the long term?

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Errors and varieties hold value only when collectors are willing to pay for them. A non-collector, by definition, does not care about errors and varieties and is unwilling to pay any premium.

As to holding value with collectors, markets for coins, that is demand from collectors, ebbs and flows with what people want right now. Something in high demand now may be in low demand next year, commanding a lower price. The converse can also be true. A coin in low demand today could, for a variety of reasons, be in high demand tomorrow, bringing a higher price to the seller.

Time for more coffee.

OP
OP
mdj

mdj

May 15, 2011
midwest
Detector(s) used
ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A baseball card collector wouldn't buy a damaged card just because it happened at the manufacturer. Let's say an off center card for example. Let alone pay a premium for it! They want pristine cards. The error craze in coins is crazy! Or perhaps errors will be the next big thing in card collecting?!?

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two different animals there. Coin folks will foot the bill for known, uncommon and dramatic errors. A Lincoln cent, for instance, that is slightly off center, we throw back into circulation. A 1955 DDO Lincoln cent can bring hundreds if not thousands depending on the grade. It's not so much of what the buyer will bear, but the uniqueness of the item and rariety. I had this saying once, "once good, always good, once junk always junk".

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. People collect what they find and tend to evolve as collectors.
i'm sure errors use to be considered damaged coins and old time collectors only wanted the best of well struck perfect examples for their collections.

I wonder what was popular other than date/grade, proof and pattern coins at the turn of the 1900's?

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Remember that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. People collect what they find and tend to evolve as collectors.
i'm sure errors use to be considered damaged coins and old time collectors only wanted the best of well struck perfect examples for their collections.

I wonder what was popular other than date/grade, proof and pattern coins at the turn of the 1900's?

Surprisingly, there is information and records on sales of quite a few coins that were Off-Center, Double and Triple Struck and even some Doubled Dies sold for large premiums as far back at the mid 1800's and I am pretty sure a few before that.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Surprisingly, there is information and records on sales of quite a few coins that were Off-Center, Double and Triple Struck and even some Doubled Dies sold for large premiums as far back at the mid 1800's and I am pretty sure a few before that.

Thank you.
Good to know they were as nuts about collecting as we are today! :headbang:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coin collectors are nuts a hairline dent only seen through a xxxx100000000 telescopic lens will turn a valuable coin into a total loss they need to be at the mint and get the coin right off the machine and there will still be some kind of flaw nuts I tell ya

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coin collectors are nuts a hairline dent only seen through a xxxx100000000 telescopic lens will turn a valuable coin into a total loss they need to be at the mint and get the coin right off the machine and there will still be some kind of flaw nuts I tell ya

Those high mint state coins also have no history associated with them. I prefer a coin that has some history and has real eye appeal more than one with just a high grade and nothing else going for it. Poorly struck coins - like many $1 gold, can have a high grade yet not be very attractive. I'd rather have a lower grade one that is better struck. An AU-55 or 58 can be more appealing that a MS-63.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see minor errors all the time, I throw them back into circulation. You have to have something known and nice for it to retain value.

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
These are a few of my "lawnmower errors" :laughing7: IMG_0405.JPG

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can probably safely say I have never hit a coin with a lawnmower. Now an aluminum can, that's a different story.

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can probably safely say I have never hit a coin with a lawnmower. Now an aluminum can, that's a different story.

These were detecting finds that were most likely hit with the lawn mower driven by the parks dept. I've got about 100 of them.:tongue3:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These were detecting finds that were most likely hit with the lawn mower driven by the parks dept. I've got about 100 of them.:tongue3:

Excellent. Save them up for that time in the future when tnet has an annual meeting. It would make a great light-hearted display to lighten the mood of the bullets and shells. Especially if you can name the different types of mower blade strikes (some of these look like double or triple strikes...).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread