Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Always check your change!!!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Dec 2004
    Down in the pit
    Garrett 350 GTA
    297 times

Always check your change!!!

Just a reminder to never forget to check your change when it's handed to you. You never know what treasures you might get. I was at an estate sale recently and bought some tools. I paid for them, got my change back and headed home. While I'm not big on coin collecting, I do separate my quarters from the other change. As I was tossing coins in their respective cans I noticed something strange. Upon closer inspection I saw that it was a very rare Ghost Coin, as seen in the picture below. More rare than the 1932 Double Eagle, it has no known denomination, no date and no mint mark. Note the eerie beauty of the obverse side and spectacular design on the reverse side! As I said, I'm not really big on coin collecting, so I could be persuaded to part with this one for the right price. But please, serious inquiries only...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ghost Coin.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	237.2 KB 
ID:	1731379
    Last edited by MiddenMonster; Jul 10, 2019 at 01:36 PM.
    Middenmonster

There are things you can replace. And others you cannot. The time has come to weigh those things. This space is getting hot. Whoa! This space is getting hot!

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    21167 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (7)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Good idea. Haven't checked mine in awhile. I never heard of a ghost coin before. However, I have seen colonial flat buttons that have been run through a sorter more than once come out looking like this. I found one about 6 weeks ago. It was a surprise.
    devldog and PetesPockets55 like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    OC, CA
    XP Deus, Equinox 800 & 600, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Mojave 720i Stealth Scoop
    6857 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    A ghost coin? Too funny!
    devldog, ROIGuy and PetesPockets55 like this.

We are not what we take, we are what we leave.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    21167 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Ghost toasties!
    devldog and PetesPockets55 like this.

Nov 2012
    995 times
    I think that if you were to rub it down with a bit of used toilet paper, It will soon take on a little more degree of ID.
    alan m and PetesPockets55 like this.

Sep 2012
    3 times
    Looks like an electrical box knock-out.Name:  417630-portrait_ratio1x1-300-300-a0a225f7ae6702e0451962250a0e9d26-Yu.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  13.3 KB

Dec 2004
    Down in the pit
    Garrett 350 GTA
    297 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Melting_24k View Post
    Looks like an electrical box knock-out.
    That's what I thought when I first saw it. But there are no rough spots where it was attached to the box and no grind marks that could have smoothed it out. So in the absence of evidence that it is something else, I'm sticking with Ghost Coin that's worth a fortune...
    Middenmonster

There are things you can replace. And others you cannot. The time has come to weigh those things. This space is getting hot. Whoa! This space is getting hot!

Charter Member
    us
    Only boaring people get board

Nov 2018
    The Thumb
    Mine Lab Equinox 800, Mine Lab Pro Find 35, Garrett Pro Pointer 2, Whites ID5 Classic
    951 times
    edge on one side looks rounded over the edge on the other has a sharp edge like it was pressed out....link for rare ghost coin images on google

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...w=1920&bih=969
    Last edited by Toecutter; Jul 11, 2019 at 02:10 PM.
    PetesPockets55 likes this.
    I'll sleep when I'm dead

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    21167 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I'm guessing an old button that's been run through a coin sorter machine once too many times.
    devldog and alan m like this.

us
    Feb 2012
    2362 times
    Coin roll hunting
    Give us some weight thickness & dimensions to go on. Compare it to some current coins.
    devldog likes this.

Dec 2004
    Down in the pit
    Garrett 350 GTA
    297 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dozer D View Post
    Give us some weight thickness & dimensions to go on. Compare it to some current coins.
    Not sure about the weight, but the diameter and thickness are virtually exactly the same as a quarter. In fact, you'd probably need a micrometer to determine the differences. The thickness is the same as the highest points on a quarter, though it is smooth all across and on both sides. But the Ghost Coin has no rolled edge, which is one of the things that make it so valuable. From what I've heard, there may be only three in existence.
    Middenmonster

us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    dirtfishing
    2567 times
    silver surfing
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Cool find.
    Been checking my change every time since I was a youngster in the early 1970’s.
    We used to get silver halves back.
    Over the years, I’ve received hundreds of wheats and dozens of silvers.
    devldog likes this.
    Fully employed but on a fixed income.

us
    Mar 2012
    Georgia
    Whites MXT ALL PRO,
    3286 times
    Relic Hunting
    Getting change back is "like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna git." ( Sir Forrest Gump). A lot of truth to this.

us
    May 2018
    Maryland
    White's MXT Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
    1555 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MiddenMonster View Post
    Not sure about the weight, but the diameter and thickness are virtually exactly the same as a quarter. In fact, you'd probably need a micrometer to determine the differences. The thickness is the same as the highest points on a quarter, though it is smooth all across and on both sides. But the Ghost Coin has no rolled edge, which is one of the things that make it so valuable. From what I've heard, there may be only three in existence.
    Good observations on the rarity. With so few known, and those being poorly described, there is an insufficient supply to meet any real demand. A pity for such an attractive specimen.

Always do right; this will gratify some and astonish the rest.
    - Mark Twain

Dec 2004
    Down in the pit
    Garrett 350 GTA
    297 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    Good observations on the rarity. With so few known, and those being poorly described, there is an insufficient supply to meet any real demand. A pity for such an attractive specimen.
    Yeah, I thought about running a VM test (Vending Machine Test) on it, but for obvious reasons thought it was too risky. It would really suck to lose a $20 million coin to a soft drink machine...
    Megalodon likes this.
    Middenmonster

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links