Ancient coin information

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV (hobby lobby 40% off ;-) )
Primary Interest:
Other
So, my flea market finds have me looking more and more into ancient coins. I love finding old ones while CRH'ing, so guess this is the next stage of addiction. I realize though, that the first thing I need to do is educate myself more. Wondering if there are any sites or books members would recommend? Looking on amazon/ebay, seems Klawan's Roman coin handbook, and Sayle's book on collecting coins are good starting points, any one have them to attest, or any other suggestions? As always, appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance!!

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope it is ok to share this link to another site specifically for coin collecting. This particular link has a list of recommended books and one of the administrators (MHonzell) is extremely knowledgeable about ancients and civil War tokens and can offer insight to useful books if you post a question. Hope this helps.
Recommended Book List LINK .

OP
OP
R

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I hope it is ok to share this link to another site specifically for coin collecting. This particular link has a list of recommended books and one of the administrators (MHonzell) is extremely knowledgeable about ancients and civil War tokens and can offer insight to useful books if you post a question. Hope this helps.
Recommended Book List LINK .

Much Appreciated!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If you are interested in collecting foreign coins by CRH-ing, I suggest you simply post a pic of the coin here. I believe you will get a faster answer here than attempting to find the coin in a reference book -- if you have little to no experiencing in ID-ing foreign coins.
Don

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mackaydon brings up a good point since he is extremely knowledgeable in ancients as well.(I look forward to his input when they get posted.)

He may even have some books to recommend since it sounds like you are interested in learning how to ID, not just what the ID is.

Last edited:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
For starters, from this source:https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=legend
the word 'legend' is described like this:
Legend: This term is used by numismatists for the words engraved on coins around the heads and types, usually located along or around the outside edge of the coin. Conversely, an inscription is a term used by numismatists for words and letters in the central areas of the coin, and sometimes actually form the coin's type.

Simply typing into Google the letters will, in many cases. tell you what coin you have.
An example of the other extreme is one reference book I use to ID Byzantine coins. It cost $110, is over 500 pages and describes 2,645 different Byzantine coins.

And here's a great source for world coins:
https://www.amazon.com/Standard-Cat...ocphy=9031285&hvtargid=pla-432601091463&psc=1
Enjoy,
Don....

OP
OP
R

Rosco53

Mar 17, 2018
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, don't have much hope of finding ancient coins while CRHing. I've thus far had no issue finding out the origin of the coins I've found CRHing, I'm confident in my basic google skills. I'm thinking more along the lines of purchasing Ancients from coin shows, flea markets, or maybe Ebay if I get really bored. More hoping to find basic info on identifying ancient coins, telling ancient from just "old" (that "Roman" I bought turning out to be 1660's), maybe help with forgery or red flags, that sorta thing. Basic info. Some ID help wouldn't hurt but kinda like a basic overview...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread