A Box For Mom's Coins

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My mom is 88 and still doing "good". She gave me her and dad's coin collection the other day. Those blue Whitman folders filled with worn out coins taken from circulation. More interesting was her collection of Kennedy half dollars. She started collecting them in '64. Most from change but some from the bank. There were almost 200 total. I separated out the clad and had 82 left that were either 90% or 40% clad silver.

I decided to keep them together and make a box for them. I used fancy walnut and here's what I ended up with. This is actually the second box. First one was a test and I changed a few things for the second.
DSC09381.JPG DSC09382.JPG DSC09383.JPG DSC09384.JPG

I separated the halves by date and loaded them in the box. I'd say the majority of these coins would grade almost uncirculated. A few are definitely uncirculated. Only a few would go below almost uncirculated. My mom said she only saved the "nice ones".
DSC09389.JPG DSC09390.JPG DSC09391.JPG DSC09392.JPG

I thought about carving a "US MINT" emblem on top the box but haven't yet. I did a practice carving and it turned out okay so I may put it on the top of the box.
DSC09385.JPG

The box came out nice enough that I've already started on a second one. Next one will be cherry, which I already have cut.
DSC09393.JPG

I'll keep the halves as long as I can then pass them to my nephew with instructions that he hold them until 2064, then sell them when they are 100 yrs. old.:thumbsup: Gary

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice coins to get from the folks, but NICER YET is the display boxes you made with the sliding top. Very nice workmanship, should thinking about making them to sell to coin dealers, or at local coin shows, OR those of us on TN.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on receiving a nice collection of coins from your' Mom and Dad! I agree with the suggestions about the box. Many Coin Dealers would love to have such a quality and beautiful box for their' coins. You should consider producing the boxes for a variety of coins from those in 2x2's to those in Third Party Grading Service holders. Many Coin Dealers have similar boxes made from plastic that have the U.S. Mint emblem on them. These were made for special sets of coins produced by the Mints and I believe that such boxes made from Black Walnut or Cherry would be highly sought after. You could even produce Presentation Boxes and more than likely you would be able to get a really nice price for them.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful work, and lovely grain in that wood! One thing to think about though, some woods and finishes contain chemicals that can be damaging to coins. This is why most coin cabinets are made from mahogany.

OP
OP
ToddsPoint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful work, and lovely grain in that wood! One thing to think about though, some woods and finishes contain chemicals that can be damaging to coins. This is why most coin cabinets are made from mahogany.

Thanks for the compliments. I wondered about the wood causing problems with the coins. No idea if walnut is good or bad. I left the inside of the box bare wood thinking maybe chemicals in finish might stain the coins. I'll just have to wait and see. Mahogany is not hard to get so might go that route. Gary

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First off I think that's cool that your parents collected coins :icon_thumright: Second, for someone like myself who spent over 18 yrs. as a cabinet maker can appreciate the workmanship that goes into something like that. Well done sir :occasion14:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Absolutely beautiful woodworking. I’d order one in a heartbeat! I use to make acoustic guitars and ukuleles and have a ton of tone wood from mahogany to Brazilian Rosewood. Lots of koa wood as well. Anyway outstanding job on a beautiful coin box.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Beautiful work! If you ever produce to sell, make sure you let us know here. Shall we say, I'm getting in line here for boxes :) I'd wish for more than one!!!

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful box...…..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread