1993 penny Unusual Texture

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this today while searching a roll of pennies. I think i have seen this texture before on other coins but not to this degree.
Can anyone tell me what kind of defect this may be? If it is an error, what would it be called? I am pretty sure it is not glue.

This is a picture of it under the microscope
S20190805_0001.jpg

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your quick input. :occasion14:

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Plating issues are common with what are pejoratively known as Zincolns. Should you become a serious coin searcher, you will learn the myriad of ways bad plating manifests itself. Enjoy.

Time for more coffee.

mdj

May 15, 2011
midwest
Detector(s) used
ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why doesn't this have extra value? It's an error that came from the mint. The rules as to what has extra value and what doesn't is crazy. Die cracks, cuds, close AM's have extra value but not blisters! The amount of blistering alone seems a lot more than normal. I always hold on to odd looking coins, you never know...

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Why doesn't this have extra value? It's an error that came from the mint. The rules as to what has extra value and what doesn't is crazy. Die cracks, cuds, close AM's have extra value but not blisters! The amount of blistering alone seems a lot more than normal. I always hold on to odd looking coins, you never know...

It is the type of Error that most Error Coin Collectors have very little interest in collecting. It may be of value to some folks but not the majority. However, you will still see some Sellers listing them on eBay but most likely with similar Error coins or in lots with other Error coins.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always good to ask there are so many error coins out there bet most of em dont even get noticed

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always good to ask there are so many error coins out there bet most of em dont even get noticed

I agree. I should have asked the question on a quarter i just let go back into the wild. Some people are calling the flaw an earring. They are going on ebay for 30 dollars and up!:BangHead:

I guess thats why they call it a learning curve.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it was a 30 dollar lesson sounds worth it to me. Good luck hope you find that Banner coin its out there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread