Take a look at this penny. What kind of error is this?

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am pretty sure this is an error but i am not sure what kind. At first i was thinking post mint damage but upon close examination i noticed the letters on the penny are fine. The lines behind the letters are also raised.

S20190816_0001.jpg S20190816_0004.jpg

S20190816_0005.jpg

Any ideas on what happened to this penny?

Thanks so much for your help!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was my first thought but look how the raised lines go under the letters. If it were pmd wouldn't the lines be gouges and go through the letters and mess them up?

Last edited:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
That was my first thought but look how the raised lines go under the letters. If it were pmd wouldn't the lines be gouges and go through the letters and mess them up?

You are correct. I didn't take a close enough look at your photos. If they had taken a hit by the coin rolling machine, the letters would have been gouged. What you have is a die crack.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Some type of Pre-stamped damage on blank planchets. Not PMD as others have said, lines are UNDER the letters.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you get a full image of the reverse.
Also a closeup of the rim at ONE?
(Looking like it might be a rim clash.)
There is a site for obverse/reverse overlays called maddieclashes.com of all US coins.
Here is a link to small cents. Just scroll down to memorial cents. ONE CENT OVERLAYS : Mad Die Clashes .

EDIT: Looks like more than just a ridge ring.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might be the copper plating is bubbling up. You get all kinds of weird results from zinc cents as they age.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Based on the images provided, I believe the damage was prior to the presses. Not the Dies. Not post mint damage. The planchette was damaged during manufacturing. Were it due to a die crack, I would expect the crack lines to come up hard against the letters, not softly. This leads me to believe the raised line was present prior to minting. Could be an issue with plating. Could be an issue with the zinc prior to plating.

Or I could be overthinking this because I am sitting in the mall with the only thing remotely resembling coffee. Lord help me, it’s Starbucks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a site for obverse/reverse overlays called maddieclashes.com of all US coins.
Here is a link to small cents. Just scroll down to memorial cents. ONE CENT OVERLAYS : Mad Die Clashes .

Yes I am at work till 11 pm tonight then back at work at 7am. So I won't get a picture up till tomorrow.
Thanks for the input everyone.
So basically this may be
pre mint damage? Is their a market for such things?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I am at work till 11 pm tonight then back at work at 7am. So I won't get a picture up till tomorrow.
Thanks for the input everyone.
So basically this may be
pre mint damage? Is their a market for such things?

List it on Ebay and you'll find out. :laughing7:

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I don't see anything unusual with the rim or reverse but here are the pictures anyhow. :occasion14:

FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender_1.jpg FullSizeRender_2.jpg

Seek Ye First

Sep 23, 2014
Central Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like it may be a "Strike Through" error, perhaps from a piece of cloth that got between the die and planchet at striking. Notice how "GOD" and "WE" are somewhat weak in the area where the creases are.

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some better pictures. Is it possible the planchette was delaminated before the strike? maybe some grease on the die as well?

FullSizeRender_2.jpg FullSizeRender_1.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the new images.

I was hoping for closeups of the rim below ONE to see if there was part of any letters from IN GOD WE showing up there from clashed dies. But the images you posted don't seem to show any.
The multiple concentric lines under the letters of GOD WE are making me think die damage from another die and there are only two dies it could have hit while in the press, the reverse or the collar die.

The uneven surface in your latest images does make me think of a planchet flaw.
(Have you checked with any coin sites? Lincoln cent resource or coin community come to mind. Lots of pros there.)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread