1987 Lincoln cent Struck Through Glass how did this happen is this PMD or Error ?

92ROLLS

Feb 24, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
obv.jpg rev (2).jpg Image2.jpg e5.jpg Im2.jpg Im5.jpg side.jpg s.rim.jpg
Any an all information is Appreciated on this, and how this could have happened and is this common? Thank You

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it might actually be epoxy of some sort and not glass, its actually very likely its epoxy considering its a zinc penny. Now if it was copper I would say it could possibly be glass as I have seen projects by artists and crafts people use them in glass occasionally because copper is compatible with 96 coe glass. my guess is yours might have been part of a penny floor or the result of a bored kid.(we used to glue change to the sidewalk to watch people try and pick it up)

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
How much difference in weight is there. Looks like a glue adhesives.

OP
OP

92ROLLS

Feb 24, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it might actually be epoxy of some sort and not glass, its actually very likely its epoxy considering its a zinc penny. Now if it was copper I would say it could possibly be glass as I have seen projects by artists and crafts people use them in glass occasionally because copper is compatible with 96 coe glass. my guess is yours might have been part of a penny floor or the result of a bored kid.(we used to glue change to the sidewalk to watch people try and pick it up)
Hi I used water and the result is some of it washed off and here is the pics ..Thank You for your information.. ON SECOND THOUGHT I FEEL THIS IS A MINT ERROR no child did this or glue on floor NO WAY ..LOOK at the doubling on coin look at the precision of that glass placed under the rim that is almost perfect ,,the mint did this mistake no human. my strong opinion. 20.jpg next step.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP

92ROLLS

Feb 24, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How much difference in weight is there. Looks like a glue adhesives.
Hi'
Thank You... Approximately the weight Iam not sure about this scale but for the most it weighs at 2.53 grams..Thank You for your reply

Last edited:

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All kinds of ways to use glue on Lincoln cents. More than likely from a kraft project of some kind, using wood glue or hot glue.
Some collectors also used glue to hold them in albums.

Glad to see by washing the coin in water you were able to answer your question. Acetone will remove the rest.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Try on your next non-saving coin, a few drop of Dawn Liquid soap in a Rx bottle with hot water, shake every now and then over a few days, rinse well, tap dry with a paper towel.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is simply some form of adhesive that was applied after it left the mint. Not an error.

OP
OP

92ROLLS

Feb 24, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THANK YOU for your knowledge of experience and excuse my lack of.

OP
OP

92ROLLS

Feb 24, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THANK YOU for your concern...I''ll try harder not to post garbage and ask questions about it. I do not do this on purpose
I may see images online and I may think what I find is close to it..when i post it here...this is where the reality sets in.
'

OP
OP

92ROLLS

Feb 24, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi I used water and the result is some of it washed off and here is the pics ..Thank You for your information.. ON SECOND THOUGHT I FEEL THIS IS A MINT ERROR no child did this or glue on floor NO WAY ..LOOK at the doubling on coin look at the precision of that glass placed under the rim that is almost perfect ,,the mint did this mistake no human. my strong opinion. View attachment 1751735 View attachment 1751736
I HATE WHEN I SWEAR I HAVE SOMETHING RARE and post it yapping nonsense..

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
You are facing the same issue as me.
I didn't care for some of the responses to my questions and snapped about it.
I guess some of the old timers don't have any patience and if it isn't worth a fortune..it doesn't matter..to them.

I don't care if the coin is worthless, I still want to learn everything I can.

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks PMD like the other coins in your other threads sadly. Epoxy or other thats not raised copper on that penny. Sorry dude

spriyaty

Greenie
Oct 4, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are facing the same issue as me.
I didn't care for some of the responses to my questions and snapped about it.
I guess some of the old timers don't have any jiofi.local.html tplinklogin is it down patience and if it isn't worth a fortune..it doesn't matter..to them.

I don't care if the coin is worthless, I still want to learn everything I can.

is compatible with 96 coe glass. my guess is yours might have been part of a penny floor or the result of a bored kid.(we used to glue change to the sidewalk to watch people try and pick it up)

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for posting it this is how you learn and how I learn everyone was a newbie at this at one time I still am but its smart to ask I think. Tommy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread