What would you make of this coin error ?

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going through some silver coins I’ve gotten a while back and I came across this what are your thoughts thank you
IMG_9764.JPG IMG_9763.JPG IMG_9762.JPG IMG_9761.JPG IMG_9760.JPG IMG_9759.JPG IMG_9758.JPG IMG_9757.JPG

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Strange. Could it be slag from being welded or soldered for a piece of jewelry? That's what the phallic shape in the center makes me think... looks like weld splatter in the zero? As for the depression near the rim, I'm really not sure about that... a maker's mark stamped into it? Just guessing...

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I'm kinda thinking the same because of the way it's centered.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
No error here. Solder. Spatter from solder. Possible counterstamp. Is there something I am missing?

Time for more coffee.

OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No error here. Solder. Spatter from solder. Possible counterstamp. Is there something I am missing?

Time for more coffee.

The main thing I was looking at was this Mark here which looks like a P with a scorpion in it not real sure
Adjustments.JPG

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
I agree counterstamp. that is what first came to me when viewing it.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking an "a" with a scorpion in it. And it is a Netherlands 10 cents from 1937 I think. Hmmm... just before WWII.
Boy oh boy is my imagination in full gear now. 8-) :laughing7:

A counter stamp from the Dutch underground on the back of a button or jewelry? Used to confirm as a member? Based in Amsterdam with a deadly sting like Scorpions? Oh man, think of the possibilities!!
Oh well, I did a google search with no mention of any Amsterdam Scorpions in the Dutch resistance. :crybaby2:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree with Kantuckkean about the possible mounting - possibly to show support for the gov't in exile? And PetesPockets55 ideas about the possibility that the counterstamp could be connected to the Dutch Resistance are intriguing. A friend's mom passed away this year in her high 90's and her obit described her considerable service in the Dutch Resistance. Most people don't know anything about this Resistance - from the CIA library:
https://www.cia.gov/library/center-...tions/csi-studies/studies/spring98/Dutch.html

That counterstamp warrants far more research. Don't give up - it is not a random mark, IMHO.

OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree with Kantuckkean about the possible mounting - possibly to show support for the gov't in exile? And PetesPockets55 ideas about the possibility that the counterstamp could be connected to the Dutch Resistance are intriguing. A friend's mom passed away this year in her high 90's and her obit described her considerable service in the Dutch Resistance. Most people don't know anything about this Resistance - from the CIA library:
https://www.cia.gov/library/center-...tions/csi-studies/studies/spring98/Dutch.html

That counterstamp warrants far more research. Don't give up - it is not a random mark, IMHO.

Is there a place where I could send this off to have it looked at if I cannot find any research on it will NGC or any of the other grading companies identify that on the coin if I send it in and do you think it would be worth sending in thank you everybody for your replies

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there a place where I could send this off to have it looked at if I cannot find any research on it will NGC or any of the other grading companies identify that on the coin if I send it in and do you think it would be worth sending in thank you everybody for your replies
No, the grading companies would be no help, it was added to the coin post mint so beyond the scope of their services. I would say it was once made into a pin and that is the jeweler's mark that did the work.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems far fetched but you might try contacting a Dutch museum or web site that deals with the Resistance and ask them about any possible association?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Problem I see is it's Foreign. & well worn.
Any Number of Issues Could be Blamed on Circulation.
Plus Because From What I've Heard.
Foreign Countries are Not as Strict on Quality control.
They are not as Rare

Looks like several Issues though.

Cool Find For Sure :coffee2:

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for the replies I’ll just keep it in my collection for now maybe take it over to a local coin shop and see what they think it would be cool if it was link to it and I’ll try to look on there web sites thank you again

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions