1991 penny reverse. Error?

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t think it’s a double die and I don’t think it is metal flow.

57654BB1-2D37-43DB-8C23-CC24B878E4F2.jpeg 2F686E36-8B5F-4798-A6B6-7F4FBA339096.jpeg

Could it be a type of clash error? Maybe it’s not an error at all?
your help is much appreciated.

Last edited:

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Doesn't appear to be a scratch on the die, otherwise it would be on the pillars also. If it's the lines over Lincoln and to left diagonal next pillar over that you are talking about.

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, next to Lincoln and above him. The penny is probably in like new condition

Here is a cropped picture. It looks like part of a design Slightly raise to about the same height as Lincoln.

43692426-E524-4DE8-831D-1A2806F8DC57.jpeg

Last edited:

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting find.
Two things come to mind. (Errors can be really tricky to pinpoint. You might have to take this one to Coin Community or Lincoln cent forum and get some professional input if no solutions come up here.)

1)Die damage from an atypical die clash where the clash is out of normal alignment. Atypical die clash LINK
Here is a LINK to one cent overlays at Maddieclashes.com

2)Planchet error with possible extra metal under the copper plating?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree there's something amiss on this coin. I can't pin it down but maybe a planchet error.

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oops I made a boo boo on the title. The year of the penny is a 1996. I don’t know why I put 1991? Anyhow, thank you Confirmation that something strange is going on with this penny.

If it is a clash, I don’t think the clash mark is coming from the obverse side of the penny.
I cannot find any markings on the front that look like this so, as you suggested, maybe the mark was there before the coin was struck.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unlikely on the planchet before striking. If that were the case it would show up more on the high points of the coin as the low points on the coin receive more pressure than the high points. The Die being the reverse of the coin, the high points on the die would be the low points of the coin.

Last edited:

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Just put an obverse Lincoln next to the images. Why didn’t I see this yesterday? Once again, Ace solves it.

Yes, I also made an enlarged print of this die clash for future reference.

Time for more coffee.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The jacket is what I was thinking for a clash also but something (anlges?) looked odd.

This is where the ability to do an overlay would come in handy. You could confirm the obverse part of the design showing up on the rev.
Maybe Ammoman can do one (not so difficult according to some people as I'm imagining)

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have lined it up and nothing matches. My very first thought was jacket as well but I believe it may be something else. Could it be a clash Mark from debris?

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
remember--- the clashed image will be upside down and flipped right to left..... and low points are now high points..... unless Huntsman or Enamel correct me:dontknow:

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unlikely on the planchet before striking. If that were the case it would show up more on the high points of the coin as the low points on the coin receive more pressure than the high points. The Die being the reverse of the coin, the high points on the die would be the low points of the coin.

I hope it is ok with Ammoman because I marked up his image with black arrows showing where part of the anomaly does appear to be on a raised area of the design (the column). The bays between the columns are the highest part of the die face so any extra metal or planchet flaw should be layed flat once the dies struck the planchet. So maybe this is some type of die damage. An atypical clash is the most likely candidate in this area but I'm not convinced it is a clash next to the column.

Like PEA said, on a reverse clash the obverse details would be upside down. Even though the shape of the anomaly is similar to the collar it doesn't really match an inverted collar. Here is a LINK to a one cent overlay .

A head-scratcher for me anyway.

EDIT: I should have clarified that the diagonal line over the statue looks like part of a clash but the base of the anomaly next to the column is almost parallel to the steps and the whole anomaly is too curved. On a clash, it should almost be on a 45-degree angle (hair at the collar line), if you look at the one-cent overlay at the LINK.

Attachments

• AmmoMansLincolnAnomalyMarkedUp.jpg
    AmmoMansLincolnAnomalyMarkedUp.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been thinking hard and doing a lot of research to figure out what this might be. Could it be a misaligned or rotated die clash and If it is part of the jacket, could it be both misaligned and rotated?

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, there can be both misaligned and or rotated.
That's where being able to do an overlay comes in handy. You can play with both faces and rotate and misalign them to confirm a clash.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's definitely a clash. A correction from your original post. There's no such thing as a double die. The correct term is "doubled".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions