Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Errors can be very difficult sometimes.

A couple of nights ago I was looking through another handful of LM cents from bag #4, of 5, I got in July of 2018 from the local coin shop. ( I know, slow as molasses on the search!)

The first one across my loupe was this beautiful No Date LM cent. I have never come across one before, so I was stoked and thought it was a Struck through a late-stage die cap after looking at error-ref.com. The strong LIBERTY that was out of position on the obverse threw me off. ( But it is what makes this a counter brockage)

I usually try to post interesting finds on multiple sites at the same time because we all love our Lincolns. I started with CCF for this one. One member PM'd error expert Mike Diamond for clarification and this was his reply:

" This is a counterbrockage from either (1) a rotated and shifted obverse die cap, (2) an off-center cent with a brockage of the obverse design on its reverse face that was converted into a die cap on the next strike, or (3) a cent with an off-center brockage that was converted into a die cap. In any case, it's an unusual counterbrockage."

Scenarios 1,2 or 3 above occurred to the die cap that struck the planchet a single time.

I was having trouble remembering/ understanding what a counter brockage was until I associated it with what happens with a counter clash.

Another collector also mentioned this reverse design was used 1974 -1982.

Thanks for looking and hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Attachments

• LIBERTY_NDCopperDieCapVNiceObv5.JPG
    LIBERTY_NDCopperDieCapVNiceObv5.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 64
  • LIBERTY_NDCopperDieCapVNiceRev1.JPG
    LIBERTY_NDCopperDieCapVNiceRev1.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 57
  • LIBERTY_NDCopperDieCapVeryNiceMirror6.JPG
    LIBERTY_NDCopperDieCapVeryNiceMirror6.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 45
  • LIBERTY_NDCopperDieCapObv8.JPG
    LIBERTY_NDCopperDieCapObv8.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 54
OP
OP
PetesPockets55

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A bag from the local coin shop no less they were returning to a bank for face value.
Not sure how they missed it and definitely not complaining.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Interesting find! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions