Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello all,
I was looking through the coins I dug up this year so far a few days ago, my 1864 IHP (that I am still scared to clean) came to mind. I had never checked to see if it was the L variety or not... I guess I just assumed it wasn't... cause ya know... of all the coins I could get what are the chances. I was looking at it under a low powered digital microscope of mine and I discovered something pretty neat! It's got an L on it and the tip of the bust doesn't get near the top of the number one! If I am correct this is the rarish variety, and (although this isn't seen very well in my photograph because the coin is dirty and I stink at taking pictures) it is in pretty good condition. The picture below was taken through my microscope and I circled the L.
Photo on 11-9-19 at 10.14 PM copy.jpg
It would be nice to verify that I am not the only one seeing this, I am pretty excited cause of the condition it is in as well. It should be worth 100+ dollars, possibly as much as 2, or who knows maybe more. Thanks for reading and happy hunting!

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YUPPP!!!!
now a soft DRY toothbrush to vaporize the dirt--- try not to inhale or eat the dirt--- we all know who did that:laughing9::laughing9:

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's an L, however the corrosion would make the value much less. Great find though!

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an L with no doubt. Good on you for looking!

OP
OP
Noah_D

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
YUPPP!!!!
now a soft DRY toothbrush to vaporize the dirt--- try not to inhale or eat the dirt--- we all know who did that:laughing9::laughing9:
Thanks port ewen ace! I still haven't decided how I'll clean it... I think I am just going to leave it until I get more experience cleaning up my worthless wheat pennies.
It's an L, however the corrosion would make the value much less. Great find though!
Thanks l.cutler! Yeah, it is a little corroded. I saw some on ebay though in worse condition still going for quite a bit. Thanks!
That is an L with no doubt. Good on you for looking!
Its nice to have a pair of fresh (unbiased) eyes. Thank you!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow thats a good I lol even though its an L sorry had to go there Nice find

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread