The Wheat Penny Hoard: A 1910 Wheat Penny... just a start. Looking for suggestions

jonboy1969

Greenie
Dec 1, 2019
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not a 1909 VDB but, this might be the best penny I have found in the first few days of going through my grandfather's wheat penny collection. I remember in the '70s sitting at the table with him and flipping all the pennies over to look for the "wheat". Now 40+ years later, I have hundreds of rolls to look at! Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I have already 3D printed some sorting trays and bought a USB microscope. I have been sorting them by year looking for Double Dies and errors and have been putting aside ones that look uncirculated.
S20191202_0001.jpg S20191202_0002.jpg 20191202_125706.jpg
8-)

OP
OP
J

jonboy1969

Greenie
Dec 1, 2019
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Wonderbread for the reply. I was just wondering if rolling them back up according to year was the way to go? Also, if anyone has any suggestions on how to display this many wheaties, and if it is even possible? I am just checking the obverse, should I be checking the reverse as well?

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The Wheat Penny Hoard: A 1910 Wheat Penny... just a start. Looking for sugges...

Jonboy: you're on the right track, but sort them right away by mint mark also P-D-S otherwise they will have to be looked over again. Once sorted by year & mint mark then you can begin going through them and grading them from G to Ex.Fine., you have the time , patience, and interest to go through them all. If all those ROLLS are wheat cents congrats to you & grandfather to save so many from further circulation wear. That 1910 is in excellent XF+ condition., I hope you have more coins of that condition in all those rolls. Don't pitch back into circulation those not in XF+, because you might find along the way someone interested in any grade.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Learn how to grade a Lincoln cent, separate all the XF and better common dates/mintmarks, and any rare dates/mintmarks, and get some 2X2's to put the better coins in. That way you can write the grade right on the border so you don't have to keep regrading the coin in the future. If you plan on keeping the coins, you might consider putting them in folders for easier viewing. The common lesser grades can get rerolled and stored or sold.

hill_billiez

Sep 16, 2012
SW PA
Detector(s) used
AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What an awesome inheritance. Take your time on sorting. You will find many treasures. Lots of history. Love those wheats.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy cow that's a heck of a collection... hope ya find a 43 or any of the other elusive's :)

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BUY A REDBOOK then sort by yr & MM, & look for the vast amount of possible errors-- there are many that are known AND UNKNOWN. get ready to make some DOUGH with that Wheat:icon_thumleft::icon_thumright:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow awesome I love wheats Try getting a good up to date coin book there are many wheats with errors and key dates to look for Good luck Im sure you have some goodies in those. Tommy

OP
OP
J

jonboy1969

Greenie
Dec 1, 2019
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Everyone, your replies and knowledge mean a lot! I just got my MEGA RED 5th edition today and I should be getting 500 2x2's to put the good finds in today or tomorrow.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Everyone, your replies and knowledge mean a lot! I just got my MEGA RED 5th edition today and I should be getting 500 2x2's to put the good finds in today or tomorrow.

Hope you have enough nice ones to fill all 500 and then some! :icon_thumleft:

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
JONBOY : just make sure to look at your red book FIRST, to ear mark the dates of the key & semi-key coins that are worth something even down to GOOD. Those I would definitely put in the 2x2 flips. Have fun & enjoy, take your time. Have your kids or grandkids also help, they might get interested in the hobby also.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on reliving a great experience with your grandfather.

Most wheats will be in the 3c-5c range in bulk like this, but the value is in the mint marks, varieties and fun you are having.
And by all means, look at the reverse as well. The easiest thing to spot on those wheats is clear extra thickness around the outside devices (details) which indicates a type of variety. The dots in the motto EPU are supposed to be round, but if you find one that is oval, that is very good.

Click this link to Coppercoins which you can use to Id a variety (DDO, DDR or RPM). There's a lot to learn, so take your time and enjoy.

Sorting by year is a great way to do it and I like your trays. Very well done making your own.

digit13

Sep 19, 2015
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter sharpshooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@jonboy1969, thanks for making this thread. I came on to ask the same type question you done the work already. I’ve got a bunch of wheats that 8ve put off going thru for a long time since I’m more of a silver hunter. Congrats, you will enjoy this hobby a lot.

moff347

Apr 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
If you are looking to keep all the coins after thoroughly searching for key dates, varieties, and errors I would suggest making a lamp out of them. I actually just made one for my father for Christmas. All you need is a glass container that will hold all of the coins. Drill a hole in the bottom to run the wire and put the lamp fixture on top. They are also available on line but you can't compete with the look of a vintage antique bottle over a lamp made in china. Just a suggestion.

It retains the coins, puts them on display, creates on conversation piece, and allows you to access them again in the future with your kiddos/grandkids to fill their books.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread