l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the only way to tell for sure is to have it certified. At some of the larger coin conventions some of the grading services will set up to give a free, "opinion". If you are patient and live close enough to one it may be an option. A proof cannot be graded MS however, that is a designation for circulation strikes.

OP
OP
T

tw656

Jan 13, 2007
Thanks for the info!
Actually I am going to the coin show in Balt. next month. Ill bring it along. I know the odds are a million to one. But if nothing else I will learn something.

Oraitbertaig

Oct 26, 2007
The SMS didn't happen until 1965. The proof and the buisness strike from 1964 are distintively different. The proofs will have mirrrored fields and frosted relef.
Hope this helps.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There has been at least one, maybe more 1964's certified as SMS. May have been by accident, 1964's were struck well into 1965, or as a trial.

fudope

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, its true that the 1964 Kennedy half was struck well into 1965. But, the SMS only started in 1965. There are no 1964 SMS coins because the SMS coins only started when the government was done making the 1964's. So, when you say that there had to be at least one, Im not too sure. Only iff (and thats if, and only if) the 1964's and 1965's were made simultaneously. Then this transition error "could" occur. Some SMS Kennedys do have mirrored finishes and some even have frosty details. So, therefore some were graded CAM, or Ultra Cameo by NGC. Proof coins are struck 2 times or more. This gives it the mirrored finish. I dont know how many times the SMS coins were struck, but they do exhibit a mirrored finish. It might, or could have been an experimental die that the government used, and only had to strike the coin once. Im not sure on what they did to make the SMS coins. But to answer your question. There is a way that you can tell. If the coin is dated 1964, then it is NOT AN SMS KENNEDY.

fudope

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh....i remember the ones youre talking about now. Um, those ones never came out with mirrored finishes...........I had a couple of those before. They never looked any different from the regular coins. And they never looked like they were proof. But I looked up some pics. I saw one that was graded "specimen" MS69. I dont know what that is all about......

CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The mint did release 1964 SMS sets with half, quarter, dime, nickel and cent and they're a rare set and valuable. A proof coin is struck with a proof die and is only designated proof, an SMS is a special die as well and only labeled MS, and a business strike is struck with a business die and is only designated as MS or lower grade if circulated.

You could have a semi-proof like business strike, SMS (doubtful) or a proof 1964 Kennedy. Either way it's silver so that's the good news. However, a cameo or deep cameo proof or SMS 64' Kennedy is a bit rare, most don't have a cameo.

Furthermore, the SMS 64' Kennedy looks like a sharply struck business strike, without mirrored fields. Although some might have a semi-mirror appearance, but they do have die polish lines (texture) that help distinguish them from regular business strikes, but that's not the tell all.

I would take it to the show and allow an expert look at the coin, because without an image or careful examination, no one can say for sure what designation your Kennedy might obtain.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread