WHAT TO BUY GOLD OR SILVER - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree257Likes

Thread: WHAT TO BUY GOLD OR SILVER

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Sep 2019
    Idaho
    Whites MXT
    3114 times
    Cache Hunting
    Paper currency, tokens, and computer digits are the investment. Not gold and silver. Gold and silver IS money. The bankers have 99% success rate at promoting this b.s. of the contrary.
    Why do you think our constitution addresses this so specifically?
    Don't be sucked into b.s. Stories. The really bad part is we have been raised in a society where you get paid in investments, not money. Time to wake up. Imho

Edit. So 99% of us are 100% invested. When something happens, it is the 1% who have the money.
    Last edited by Idahodutch; Jan 09, 2020 at 11:40 AM.
    Hobbs., A2coins and AARC like this.

us
    Sep 2019
    Idaho
    Whites MXT
    3114 times
    Cache Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Clad2Silver View Post
    I've put away silver and gold for many years and have made good money along the way by selling it at the right time. I still allot money each month to buy more bullion and will continue to do so. My holdings are approximately 75% silver and 25% gold.
    Clad,
    Isn't it a good feeling to have MONEY saved. I make sure to have enough currency to not have to tap my savings; an emergency fund/6 months living expenses. Then have money saved. Then investments that are retirement, but I would get that out right now if I could. It may or may not be there when time comes, so I cannot count on it. It is an investment , a bet where we are still waiting to see who wins and who loses.
    Idahodutch
    Hobbs., A2coins and AARC like this.

us
    May 2018
    A state of Resistance
    White's MXT Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
    3606 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Clad2Silver View Post
    I've put away silver and gold for many years and have made good money along the way by selling it at the right time. I still allot money each month to buy more bullion and will continue to do so. My holdings are approximately 75% silver and 25% gold.
    Some people are not comfortable with stocks and mutual funds - but their real advantage is they generate income without the need to liquidate principal. I can live off the dividends from my stocks or re-invest them, which compounds year after year, decade after decade. All but one of my dividend paying stocks has highly appreciated - but I don't really care about that because I want reliable dividend payers. I certainly do not wish to sell them - that is killing the goose laying the golden eggs - in this case, reliable dividends. The no-load mutual funds generate some dividends as well and capital gains distributions without any action on my part. And those dividends and capital gains receive preferential tax treatment.

There are risks in everything in life, but many people overestimate the risk of investing in stocks and mutual funds. The real risk, IMO, is not investing. I taught myself over 50 years ago before my teens, by reading material from Fidelity, Vanguard, Price and others as well as research in the library - the way to research back then before the internet.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

FROSTY MINER

Jan 2020
    Ground EFX MX100E | Minelab Pro-Find 15
    26 times
    Shoulda bought 6 months ago...

us
    Sep 2019
    Idaho
    Whites MXT
    3114 times
    Cache Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMiner View Post
    Shoulda bought 6 months ago...
    I can remember when silver and gold started to move up some and thinking "Better get some", but I just couldn't get myself to spend $7.00 per oz. that was like just 12 - 15 years ago. I have acquired since, but not at that price. If you're thinking of getting some, you should just get it. If you wait for the rush, it will cost more and your choices of what you want may not be as good later if you wait.
    Happy hunting. The Buffalos are beautiful and 24 karat. SD Bullion has done good by me. Very reputable. Paying by check can add a week to the transaction, but can save a fair amount.
    Idahodutch
    AARC and A2coins like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Randy

Feb 2015
    Fullerton CA
    Minelab CTX 3030 AT Pro
    7783 times
    As an investment, the smaller value has to go up a lot less to get you your percentage. If it falls it will hurt you less. A very old wise man told me years ago that if gold is at 600 an oz it has to go to 1200 to double your money but if silver is at 5$ it only has to go to ten Makes good sense
    Idahodutch, AARC, A2coins and 1 others like this.
    Anything That Comes Out of The Dirt Is Awesome!

Best find 1941 Patek Philippe 2 register flat pusher Chronograph Bought 1,000 Sold 62,000 !!
    First Year 911 Porsche Purchased 36K SOLD 140K!!! Whoo Hoo

us
    Sep 2019
    Idaho
    Whites MXT
    3114 times
    Cache Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by trdking View Post
    As an investment, the smaller value has to go up a lot less to get you your percentage. If it falls it will hurt you less. A very old wise man told me years ago that if gold is at 600 an oz it has to go to 1200 to double your money but if silver is at 5$ it only has to go to ten Makes good sense
    Randy, good words.
    From my limited experience, silver is much more affordable, but be forewarned. . . It is also more volatile than gold, or at least has been over the past 50 years. Silver imo, has enormous potential. I have a feeling that this coming run, that has barely even started, is going to really make gold hard to afford to buy. If gold doubles over the next year or two, and you haven't acquired any yet, do you think you would then?
    I played it safe and got some of both as often as budgets allowed.
    Just to clarify, were talking the physical coins or bars of gold and silver.

I know it's not for everyone, but it is an excellent way to save real money. If you really need to liquidate it for something, it is the most liquid asset that there is. You can easily exchange it for local currency anywhere in the world, and most likely, for centuries to come, with no problem. I do not know of any currency that is not gold or silver, that the same could be said for. If it is my savings, I want it to be the best form, for today, tomorrow and whenever.
    I do know guys that made lots and lots of digits, but they used those digits to acquire physical metal. They were fortunate, but in reality, so was I, because at least I have some.
    Everyone has to make their own decision, and I respect that.

Charter Member
    us
    Randy

Feb 2015
    Fullerton CA
    Minelab CTX 3030 AT Pro
    7783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Idahodutch View Post
    Randy, good words.
    From my limited experience, silver is much more affordable, but be forewarned. . . It is also more volatile than gold, or at least has been over the past 50 years. Silver imo, has enormous potential. I have a feeling that this coming run, that has barely even started, is going to really make gold hard to afford to buy. If gold doubles over the next year or two, and you haven't acquired any yet, do you think you would then?
    I played it safe and got some of both as often as budgets allowed.
    Just to clarify, were talking the physical coins or bars of gold and silver.

I know it's not for everyone, but it is an excellent way to save real money. If you really need to liquidate it for something, it is the most liquid asset that there is. You can easily exchange it for local currency anywhere in the world, and most likely, for centuries to come, with no problem. I do not know of any currency that is not gold or silver, that the same could be said for. If it is my savings, I want it to be the best form, for today, tomorrow and whenever.
    I do know guys that made lots and lots of digits, but they used those digits to acquire physical metal. They were fortunate, but in reality, so was I, because at least I have some.
    Everyone has to make their own decision, and I respect that.
    I also own both, I don't really buy it as an investment but I bought a lot of silver at 5 - 7 dollars an oz when it was that cheap. I also bought a lot of gold at 275 to 350 and on. I still buy it at todays prices and it all evens itself out. It was an investment it turns out. The reason I buy commodities is to off set currency. If our dollar tumbles, precious metals go up and if it is a total bust on our currency the precious metals become the currency. Continuously buy small affordable amounts. Buy it at the very best prices you can and hold it for the rainy day. BTW the best silver to buy is worn out US silver and canadian currency that has no numismatic value. You can get back of spot deals and if it ever becomes currency it has consistent weights in small values so you won't have to take a hack saw to your bars to trade for small items
    Anything That Comes Out of The Dirt Is Awesome!

Best find 1941 Patek Philippe 2 register flat pusher Chronograph Bought 1,000 Sold 62,000 !!
    First Year 911 Porsche Purchased 36K SOLD 140K!!! Whoo Hoo

us
    Sep 2019
    Idaho
    Whites MXT
    3114 times
    Cache Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by trdking View Post
    I also own both, I don't really buy it as an investment but I bought a lot of silver at 5 - 7 dollars an oz when it was that cheap. I also bought a lot of gold at 275 to 350 and on. I still buy it at todays prices and it all evens itself out. It was an investment it turns out. The reason I buy commodities is to off set currency. If our dollar tumbles, precious metals go up and if it is a total bust on our currency the precious metals become the currency. Continuously buy small affordable amounts. Buy it at the very best prices you can and hold it for the rainy day. BTW the best silver to buy is worn out US silver and canadian currency that has no numismatic value. You can get back of spot deals and if it ever becomes currency it has consistent weights in small values so you won't have to take a hack saw to your bars to trade for small items
    I'm glad that it has worked out for you like it has. I had a couple of situations that solved by liquidating a good portion. Was able to work it out later to replace and add as well. But silver was a bit more than 7 by that time.
    Also agree . . Good idea to have some old silver currency for a bit of diversity. Can get fractional gold same way . . Gold Sovereigns usually have small premiums and are kind of cool looking. Old Mexican gold Pesos for some diversity in fractional coins or even a way to spend less than $100 for a gold coin. Small gold bars . . 1 gram bars I think are around 60 US right now, not sure.
    There is such a variety of old/new, gold/silver, coins/bars. It is a good idea for newbies to spend some time to get an idea of what they are really interested in. Highly recommend only dealing with reputable businesses unless you have testing methods. Not worth the risk imo. We worked hard for that toilet paper and don't want to be swindled out of our toilet paper.
    A2coins and trdking like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    42144 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    I buy silver plus youwill get a different reply from anyone you ask and the people who say do this dont do that if they knew what to invest in and collect they would be rich. Who knew a 70 hemi cuda covertible off the showroom floor for 5 grand would be worth millions now how many of the I know it alls haave one parked in their garage lol
    Still Available Approved TreasureNet Sticker $2.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::. I have 34 left PM me if you would like to buy any Tommy.................... Put it on my Trans Am FREE SHIPPING Street Racing My Trans Am W/Tnet Stick

us
    Sep 2019
    Idaho
    Whites MXT
    3114 times
    Cache Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by A2coins View Post
    I buy silver plus youwill get a different reply from anyone you ask and the people who say do this dont do that if they knew what to invest in and collect they would be rich. Who knew a 70 hemi cuda covertible off the showroom floor for 5 grand would be worth millions now how many of the I know it alls haave one parked in their garage lol
    Tommy,
    For someone starting out, it can be difficult . . . maybe even somewhat overwhelming, trying to figure out what are the good forms of silver to hold, or perhaps . . . which forms are the easiest to liquidate if the need were to arise.
    There are also varying premiums associated with different pieces. Insights from someone in the business would be fantastic, if you would be willing to share some of your experience a bit? Not asking you to post advice, just sharing a bit of experience is all
    Sincerely,
    Idaho Dutch
    A2coins likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    42144 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    I like to but the apmex or Mattheys bars know companies serial numbers on them for verification, some like silver coins. though they would need to be refined to use easy to liquidate . I know silver is a great conductor and is used in lots of the electronics we use today. There is just as much being thrown away every day when people toss their old electronics. Any investment comes with risk I like silver because even though it hasnt risen much in a while it hasnt fallen alot either so it holds its value like putting money away. I read many books about it it comes down to how much risk you want to take how long you want to keep your investment,,,,, turn over time. There is no one big answer usually the less risk the less payout. I wish you luck Google 10 good reasons to buy silver its a very informative article. Tommy
    Last edited by A2coins; Jan 11, 2020 at 04:35 PM.
    Idahodutch and RustyGold like this.
    Still Available Approved TreasureNet Sticker $2.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::. I have 34 left PM me if you would like to buy any Tommy.................... Put it on my Trans Am FREE SHIPPING Street Racing My Trans Am W/Tnet Stick

us
    Sep 2019
    Idaho
    Whites MXT
    3114 times
    Cache Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by A2coins View Post
    I like to but the apmex or Mattheys bars know companies serial numbers on them for verification, some like silver coins. though they would need to be refined to use easy to liquidate . I know silver is a great conductor and is used in lots of the electronics we use today. There is just as much being thrown away every day when people toss their old electronics. Any investment comes with risk I like silver because even though it hasnt risen much in a while it hasnt fallen alot either so it holds its value like putting money away. I read many books about it it comes down to how much risk you want to take how long you want to keep your investment,,,,, turn over time. There is no one big answer usually the less risk the less payout. I wish you luck Google 10 good reasons to buy silver its a very informative article. Tommy
    We picked up a 100oz Johnson Matthey poured bar over thanksgiving. The premium was about a buck over, but silver was also down a bit.
    Besides. . . I liked the bar. (too bad it is not gold)

I sure would hate to get hit in the head with one of them . . . it would be like getting hit in the head with a shot put ball.
    Its hard to carry more than one in each hand. . . . . anyway, glad we got it.
    Idaho Dutch
    A2coins and trdking like this.

us
    May 2017
    Kansas
    XP Orx, Teknetics 8500, Treasure Baron with Gold Module
    56 times
    If I had to do it over......I would put more money into platinum and gold as my silver stock is getting extremely heavy. My bank teller tried to lift my safety deposit
    box but couldn't budge it. I told her it was all Gold. lol. With inflation, National debt, natural disasters and more wars on the rise.....metals are a sure thing going into the future along with guns, prepper tools, dry food etc. Stocks in my opinion are similar to Ponzi schemes....just don't want to be holding them if we ever get a repeat of the 29 crash. Some other reasons to hold metals which is money off the GRID: divorces, bankruptcies, shielding money from inheritance taxes, or Nursing home rackets.
    Idahodutch, A2coins and trdking like this.

us
    Sep 2019
    Idaho
    Whites MXT
    3114 times
    Cache Hunting
    TimeCop,
    Funny story about the safety deposit box

Can you imagine putting that into a back pack? If the pack held up, the back might not

When the Silver to Gold ratio swings back . . . at some point I want to trade most of the silver for gold.
    Lots easier to fit into the back pack and carry if need be.
    Idahodutch

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links