WHAT TO BUY GOLD OR SILVER - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 75
Like Tree157Likes

Thread: WHAT TO BUY GOLD OR SILVER

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #31
    us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    dirtfishing
    10,907
    2855 times
    silver surfing
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Everyone should own at least one four-nines-fine gold buffalo, and also silver eagles!
    Idahodutch and A2coins like this.
    Spider-Man, Spider-man...does whatever a spider can...

  2. #32
    us
    May 2018
    A state of Resistance
    White's MXT Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
    1,989
    3176 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Reading this thread, I think the responses would be more appropriate in a prepper's forum. Buying metals as an investment is like buying a commercial property storage facility as an investment - but refusing to rent out the units, just to sit on the "investment" waiting for appreciation. Let me be clear. Metals are not investments. There is a difference between speculation in things and investing. At its best, holding metals can be a hedge against a market crash. But such crashes are rare. Its been 90 years since the 1929 market crash and how many people have failed to invest, and, as a result, have failed to grow wealth, since then, due to fear of such an unlikely occurrence. In addition, those who lost the most 90 years ago were those who borrowed money to invest - which is a foolish practice. There are a few who advocate for holding a small % of metals in an otherwise diversified portfolio as a hedge - but no responsible advisor would ever suggest more than 5%, if that much.

    To claim that owning a share of a good company is a "ponzi scheme" shows the depth of ignorance about investing. Look at the products and services that you consider vital. Do you have a cell phone with a provider? Is that company a ponzi scheme? And if so, why would you knowingly participate in a crime. In reality, you recognize that it is a service you desire and for which you are willing to pay a price. Because of that, I invest in those companies. So i own shares of Verizon (VZ). Note: I'm NOT making specific stock recommendations but using this as an example. Do I hedge that investment with metals? No, because i think that is ridiculous. Instead, I hedge my Verizon stock with AT&T stock (T) - again, not recommending specific stocks - or stocks at all. If you liked telecom companies because of the dividends, its also easy to buy sector mutual funds like communications funds or telecom funds if you prefer mutual funds to individual stocks. Both have their place.

    Do you have a favorite restaurant? Why do you like it and do others seem to like it as well? They are nearly all public companies and all the information you need is easily available online. I happen to like a sandwich shop called Potbelly's - but research shows that it is not profitable, so I haven't bought it. Maybe someday. What about the stores where you shop, or the clothes you like, or some of the services you use? What do your kids buy and why? Most of these are public companies and not "ponzi schemes". When you buy shares of them, you are a part owner of the company, albeit in a very small way. And some shareholders get special deals. When I owned Sturm Ruger decades ago, there was a shareholder discount, When I owned Rawlings even longer ago, there was a discount in their company store and shareholders could be introduced to ballplayers picking up their baseball bats back when they did such things. I don't like to bother athletes, but it is nice for kids.

    Most people will never get ahead by collecting a small paycheck working for others. The only way to get ahead and to have any security is to live way below your means and invest every dollar above what you need to survive so you can have a bright future and retire in comfort. I taught myself in the 1960's before it was so easy to do research on the internet. Honestly, I taught myself more about real investing by the time I turned 10 years old than what I see in posts here. I saw my father work himself nearly to death around the clock for peanuts, fixing gas leaks during the day, then running dogs at a race track at night, and then washing floors at a college cafeteria in the early morning hours. Growing up in the Great Depression, he was opposed to real investing without understanding why. I also worked many physical jobs and tutored to put myself through college and grad school but always paid myself first by investing for the future.

    The gov't provides incentives to real investing in the form of plans such as 401K, 401a, 403b, 457, and IRAs of several varieties that all defer taxes to a time when tax rates are more favorable to taking distributions. And then when you take distributions in retirement, you can invest your money in non-retirement accounts and the capital gains and dividends receive preferential tax treatment.

    We like to look at and hold shiny things. I get that, but very few make money buying items at a high premium and selling them at wholesale - and to suggest that doing so is a rational alternative to investing is irresponsible.
    Last edited by Megalodon; Jan 12, 2020 at 08:42 AM.
    RustyGold and Owassokie like this.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

  3. #33
    us
    Sep 2019
    Idaho
    Whites MXT
    175
    214 times
    Cache Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    Reading this thread, I think the responses would be more appropriate in a prepper's forum. Buying metals as an investment is like buying a commercial property storage facility as an investment - but refusing to rent out the units, just to sit on the "investment" waiting for appreciation. Let me be clear. Metals are not investments. There is a difference between speculation in things and investing. At its best, holding metals can be a hedge against a market crash. But such crashes are rare. Its been 90 years since the 1929 market crash and how many people have failed to invest, and, as a result, have failed to grow wealth, since then, due to fear of such an unlikely occurrence. In addition, those who lost the most 90 years ago were those who borrowed money to invest - which is a foolish practice. There are a few who advocate for holding a small % of metals in an otherwise diversified portfolio as a hedge - but no responsible advisor would ever suggest more than 5%, if that much.

    To claim that owning a share of a good company is a "ponzi scheme" shows the depth of ignorance about investing. Look at the products and services that you consider vital. Do you have a cell phone with a provider? Is that company a ponzi scheme? And if so, why would you knowingly participate in a crime. In reality, you recognize that it is a service you desire and for which you are willing to pay a price. Because of that, I invest in those companies. So i own shares of Verizon (VZ). Note: I'm NOT making specific stock recommendations but using this as an example. Do I hedge that investment with metals? No, because i think that is ridiculous. Instead, I hedge my Verizon stock with AT&T stock (T) - again, not recommending specific stocks - or stocks at all. If you liked telecom companies because of the dividends, its also easy to buy sector mutual funds like communications funds or telecom funds if you prefer mutual funds to individual stocks. Both have their place.

    Do you have a favorite restaurant? Why do you like it and do others seem to like it as well? They are nearly all public companies and all the information you need is easily available online. I happen to like a sandwich shop called Potbelly's - but research shows that it is not profitable, so I haven't bought it. Maybe someday. What about the stores where you shop, or the clothes you like, or some of the services you use? What do your kids buy and why? Most of these are public companies and not "ponzi schemes". When you buy shares of them, you are a part owner of the company, albeit in a very small way. And some shareholders get special deals. When I owned Sturm Ruger decades ago, there was a shareholder discount, When I owned Rawlings even longer ago, there was a discount in their company store and shareholders could be introduced to ballplayers picking up their baseball bats back when they did such things. I don't like to bother athletes, but it is nice for kids.

    Most people will never get ahead by collecting a small paycheck working for others. The only way to get ahead and to have any security is to live way below your means and invest every dollar above what you need to survive so you can have a bright future and retire in comfort. I taught myself in the 1960's before it was so easy to do research on the internet. Honestly, I taught myself more about real investing by the time I turned 10 years old than what I see in posts here. I saw my father work himself nearly to death around the clock for peanuts, fixing gas leaks during the day, then running dogs at a race track at night, and then washing floors at a college cafeteria in the early morning hours. Growing up in the Great Depression, he was opposed to real investing without understanding why. I also worked many physical jobs and tutored to put myself through college and grad school but always paid myself first by investing for the future.

    The gov't provides incentives to real investing in the form of plans such as 401K, 401a, 403b, 457, and IRAs of several varieties that all defer taxes to a time when tax rates are more favorable to taking distributions. And then when you take distributions in retirement, you can invest your money in non-retirement accounts and the capital gains and dividends receive preferential tax treatment.

    We like to look at and hold shiny things. I get that, but very few make money buying items at a high premium and selling them at wholesale - and to suggest that doing so is a rational alternative to investing is irresponsible.
    That is quite the outpouring. As much as you are saying invest invest . . It sounds like you are struggling to continue to hold your views. Truth is truth. Gold and silver is money. Saving and investing are not the same thing. The OP just wanted to know a little bit about getting some gold or silver. And you sound like he should be should be listenig to you instead. No offence intended.
    Sincerely, Idahodutch
    Last edited by Idahodutch; Jan 12, 2020 at 11:58 PM. Reason: typos

  4. #34
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    10,034
    7890 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by A2coins View Post
    I buy silver plus youwill get a different reply from anyone you ask and the people who say do this dont do that if they knew what to invest in and collect they would be rich. Who knew a 70 hemi cuda covertible off the showroom floor for 5 grand would be worth millions now how many of the I know it alls haave one parked in their garage lol
    Yeah, I know, I should have bought the convertible model......
    A2coins likes this.
    Avitech Associate

    Something new is coming, the Cygnus, don't be left behind. A 22nd century detector for 21st century detectorists.

  5. #35
    Charter Member
    us
    Treasureman$)

    May 2013
    Wisconsin
    Mxt pro 10"d2,pro find pinpointer, coinmaster gt, bounty hunter
    121
    129 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    If we all would have just bought bitcoin 5 years ago none of us would be having this conversation!
    A2coins and Idahodutch like this.
    God grant me the serenity
    to accept the things I cannot change;
    courage to change the things I can;
    and wisdom to know the difference.

  6. #36
    us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    dirtfishing
    10,907
    2855 times
    silver surfing
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Treasureman25 View Post
    If we all would have just bought bitcoin 5 years ago none of us would be having this conversation!
    Buttcoin? No thanks
    Spider-Man, Spider-man...does whatever a spider can...

  7. #37

    May 2017
    Kansas
    XP Orx, Teknetics 8500, Treasure Baron with Gold Module
    60
    33 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    QUOTE=Megalodon;6394470]Reading this thread, I think the responses would be more appropriate in a prepper's forum. Buying metals as an investment is like buying a commercial property storage facility as an investment - but refusing to rent out the units, just to sit on the "investment" waiting for appreciation. Let me be clear. Metals are not investments. There is a difference between speculation in things and investing. At its best, holding metals can be a hedge against a market crash. But such crashes are rare. Its been 90 years since the 1929 market crash and how many people have failed to invest, and, as a result, have failed to grow wealth, since then, due to fear of such an unlikely occurrence. In addition, those who lost the most 90 years ago were those who borrowed money to invest - which is a foolish practice. There are a few who advocate for holding a small % of metals in an otherwise diversified portfolio as a hedge - but no responsible advisor would ever suggest more than 5%, if that much.

    To claim that owning a share of a good company is a "ponzi scheme" shows the depth of ignorance about investing. Look at the products and services that you consider vital. Do you have a cell phone with a provider? Is that company a ponzi scheme? And if so, why would you knowingly participate in a crime. In reality, you recognize that it is a service you desire and for which you are willing to pay a price. Because of that, I invest in those companies. So i own shares of Verizon (VZ). Note: I'm NOT making specific stock recommendations but using this as an example. Do I hedge that investment with metals? No, because i think that is ridiculous. Instead, I hedge my Verizon stock with AT&T stock (T) - again, not recommending specific stocks - or stocks at all. If you liked telecom companies because of the dividends, its also easy to buy sector mutual funds like communications funds or telecom funds if you prefer mutual funds to individual stocks. Both have their place.


    Most of the companies I have ever worked for have been "Legal Rackets" in one way or another. I won't go into specifics but just the way I see it and I have been around for 50 years plus. I get that your gung ho on the market but this market is way overvalued......too much debt and being propped up by the Fed, Trump & due for a large correction. Best to protect your asset base in this environment and Metals are just one store of value. Prepping. Do I see good times ahead?....Bible prophecy would predict major storms are on the horizon but you may not be one to believe. Could another crash type event happen? Absolutely but it won't play out the same way as the 1929 crash.
    Idahodutch likes this.

  8. #38

    May 2017
    Kansas
    XP Orx, Teknetics 8500, Treasure Baron with Gold Module
    60
    33 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by fistfulladirt View Post
    You lost me at Bible prophecy.
    Some of us believe in it some don't.
    Idahodutch likes this.

  9. #39
    us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    dirtfishing
    10,907
    2855 times
    silver surfing
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timecop67 View Post
    Some of us believe in it some don't.
    Believe in what? The wording was very vague. What does weather have to do with economics?
    Last edited by fistfulladirt; Jan 12, 2020 at 04:28 PM.
    Spider-Man, Spider-man...does whatever a spider can...

  10. #40

    May 2017
    Kansas
    XP Orx, Teknetics 8500, Treasure Baron with Gold Module
    60
    33 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by fistfulladirt View Post
    Believe in what? The wording was very vague. What does weather have to do with economics?
    The Bible prophecy as mentioned in "Revelation". I know it is beyond the scope of this thread but it will effect economics. Simply put
    hard times ahead. The recent events in Australia have also been described as apocalyptic.

  11. #41
    us
    May 2018
    A state of Resistance
    White's MXT Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
    1,989
    3176 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Timecop - regarding the "market is way overvalued" - that is a common comment today and it may be valid for the market as a whole. The solution then is to not buy the whole market. In other words, don't buy an index fund that copies the whole market. There are plenty of undervalued stocks out there for those who are willing to do their research.
    PetesPockets55, EARL51 and xr7ator like this.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

  12. #42
    us
    May 2018
    A state of Resistance
    White's MXT Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
    1,989
    3176 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Idahodutch View Post
    That is quite the outpouring. As much as you are saying invest invest . . It sounds like you are struggling to continue to hold your views. Truth is truth. Gold and silver is money. Saving any investing are not the same thing. The OP just wanted to know a little bit about getting some gold or silver. And you sound like he should be should be listenig to you instead. No office intended.
    Sincerely, Idahodutch
    The OP wanted to know about gold and silver as investments. They are not investments. Sorry about trying to educate here - that's my only mistake.
    PetesPockets55 likes this.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

  13. #43
    us
    May 2018
    A state of Resistance
    White's MXT Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
    1,989
    3176 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Timecop67 View Post
    The Bible prophecy as mentioned in "Revelation". I know it is beyond the scope of this thread but it will effect economics. Simply put
    hard times ahead. The recent events in Australia have also been described as apocalyptic.
    The fires in Australia are a disaster but they have nothing to do with your literal interpretation of the Bible.
    PetesPockets55 likes this.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

  14. #44

    May 2017
    Kansas
    XP Orx, Teknetics 8500, Treasure Baron with Gold Module
    60
    33 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    The fires in Australia are a disaster but they have nothing to do with your literal interpretation of the Bible.
    If world events really get bad and disasters increase beyond reason non believers should wake up and acknowledge the Bible as fact and not just literary fiction........but non believers are spiritually blind. "A wicked and perverse generation shall seek a sign but there shall be none."

  15. #45
    us
    May 2018
    A state of Resistance
    White's MXT Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
    1,989
    3176 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Timecop67 View Post
    If world events really get bad and disasters increase beyond reason non believers should wake up and acknowledge the Bible as fact and not just literary fiction........but non believers are spiritually blind. "A wicked and perverse generation shall seek a sign but there shall be none."
    The disaster in Australia can be explained by scientific evidence. According to the NSW Rural Fire Service, the major source of ignition has been dry lightning. The dry conditions have also been explained. Kindly do not trivialize the deaths of people and over 1 Billion animals with your nonsense and hatred.
    EARL51 likes this.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

 

 
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 17
    Last Post: Jul 04, 2016, 06:37 AM
  2. Replies: 23
    Last Post: Apr 06, 2016, 11:32 PM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last Post: Apr 16, 2013, 01:47 PM
  4. More gold and silver today.....strange gold find on a silver bracelet
    By lorraine in forum Beach and Shallow Water
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: Mar 19, 2013, 02:33 PM
  5. Replies: 35
    Last Post: Jan 24, 2008, 03:45 PM
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0