WHAT TO BUY GOLD OR SILVER

Timecop67

May 22, 2017
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Orx, Teknetics 8500, Treasure Baron with Gold Module
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If I only had 1,500 I would buy a roll of 20 silver eagles, a 1/2, or 1/4 ounce gold coin and a 1/2 or 1/4 ounce of a platinum coin just to diversify. I haven't seen silver move yet but my Gold collection is starting to increase in value. I bought a few gold Swiss 20 Francs 2 months ago. Nice coins but only 90 percent gold unlike my 50$ gold Buffalos.

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
If I only had 1,500 I would buy a roll of 20 silver eagles, a 1/2, or 1/4 ounce gold coin and a 1/2 or 1/4 ounce of a platinum coin just to diversify. I haven't seen silver move yet but my Gold collection is starting to increase in value. I bought a few gold Swiss 20 Francs 2 months ago. Nice coins but only 90 percent gold unlike my 50$ gold Buffalos.
TC,
Nothing wrong with the 20 Francs coins. Gold coins that are 24kt don't hold up to handling as well as the 90%, they get little dings REAL easy. That said, both the Buffaloes and the Swiss Francs are great pieces. The 20 Francs coin is .1867 oz of pure gold. The Buffalo is 1 oz pure gold. I just count the gold, when adding up how much gold. British Sovereigns are nice also, and each one has .2354 oz of pure gold, but is not 24kt either. I too have tried to diversify in as what kind of gold and silver to own. Bars, coins (both 24kt, and 90% +), and some jewelry, but not very much. I did get an old silver Pillar Dollar (8 Reales), from the 1700's. Aarrggg, a real pirate coin matey.
I would like to get a gold doubloon of some sort. The premiums on the small ones are too steep. I think the 4 Escudo or the 8 Escudo would be awesome, but their not cheap for one in halfway decent shape. Maybe someday.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people think when all else fails, precious metals will be useful to purchase necessities. But this guy, Mark Dice, has some videos out there that seem to show how regular people on the street respond to being offered a choice between a free candy bar and a 1/10 oz gold Eagle. Because the coin looked so small, he did some other vids offering a choice of candy bars or a 10 oz silver bar.

I know people are reluctant to click on links, but these vids are easy to find - just search free candy bar or gold coin.

It is remarkable that every person offered the choice - chose the candy bar. Is the video real? I don't know Mark Dice, but if this is real, it suggests that average people may not recognize a real gold coin or silver bar as having value to accept in exchange for an item.

Last edited:

Timecop67

May 22, 2017
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people think when all else fails, precious metals will be useful to purchase necessities. But this guy, Mark Dice, has some videos out there that seem to show how regular people on the street respond to being offered a choice between a free candy bar and a 1/10 oz gold Eagle. Because the coin looked so small, he did some other vids offering a choice of candy bars or a 10 oz silver bar.

I know people are reluctant to click on links, but these vids are easy to find - just search free candy bar or gold coin.

It is remarkable that every person offered the choice - chose the candy bar. Is the video real? I don't know Mark Dice, but if this is real, it suggests that average people may not recognize a real gold coin or silver bar as having value to accept in exchange for an item.

Just silly.....since Foreign countries and Central Banks are stockpiling gold they must know the value of the item and I suspect a monetary crisis may not be too far off with the Debt levels reaching large levels. Earlier this month the World Gold Council published its quarterly report– and it shows that central banks and foreign governments from around the world are buying up gold at their fastest pace in six years. This is pretty big news, and it says a LOT about the future of the dollar. The Chinese in particular, have been stockpiling gold faster than ever, while at the same time, Chinese ownership of US treasuries as a percentage of total holdings has been gradually declining over the past years.
And it’s not just China. Russia, Turkey, Qatar, and even Colombia – a long-time ally of the US – have been diversifying and buying a lot more gold.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just silly.....since Foreign countries and Central Banks are stockpiling gold they must know the value of the item and I suspect a monetary crisis may not be too far off with the Debt levels reaching large levels. Earlier this month the World Gold Council published its quarterly report– and it shows that central banks and foreign governments from around the world are buying up gold at their fastest pace in six years. This is pretty big news, and it says a LOT about the future of the dollar. The Chinese in particular, have been stockpiling gold faster than ever, while at the same time, Chinese ownership of US treasuries as a percentage of total holdings has been gradually declining over the past years.
And it’s not just China. Russia, Turkey, Qatar, and even Colombia – a long-time ally of the US – have been diversifying and buying a lot more gold.

That is irrelevant if you are trying to buy a gallon of water and the clerk won't accept your gold coin for payment. After viewing the videos, maybe a candy bar would work better in trade?

Timecop67

May 22, 2017
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is irrelevant if you are trying to buy a gallon of water and the clerk won't accept your gold coin for payment. After viewing the videos, maybe a candy bar would work better in trade?

There will always be a place to exchange metals or barter for other things of higher value.....just not at your local 7 eleven store or Walmart. In a worse case dooms day scenario if everything is worthless better have your own supply of guns, ammo, water filter, bunkers etc. I use Gold in my electronic manufacturing of circuit boards so as long as we have a need for circuit boards there will be a need for Gold. Also use Silver in Soldering processes.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You don't need $1,500.And your not buying junk weight...there are 99% pure https://www.apmex.com/product/63288/1-gram-gold-bar-apmex-tep

Actionman

Dec 21, 2013
Central Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030, Minelab Excalbur 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The OP wanted to know about gold and silver as investments. They are not investments. Sorry about trying to educate here - that's my only mistake.

No your mistake, and others was to give advise on something totally off topic as to what the OP asked. The OP wants to know about gold and silver- not stocks, not real estate, not cars not guns. Specifically asked about gold and silver.

If I want to get investment advise, I am sure there are specific forums for that, or religion. Why can't you guys stay on topic? The OP asked about buying treasure on treasure-net. Focus.

I really like the gold that comes from the refinery like a credit card, you can break off portions for smaller amounts.

Timecop67

May 22, 2017
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The OP wanted to know about gold and silver as investments. They are not investments. Sorry about trying to educate here - that's my only mistake.

No your mistake, and others was to give advise on something totally off topic as to what the OP asked. The OP wants to know about gold and silver- not stocks, not real estate, not cars not guns. Specifically asked about gold and silver.

If I want to get investment advise, I am sure there are specific forums for that, or religion. Why can't you guys stay on topic? The OP asked about buying treasure on treasure-net. Focus.

I really like the gold that comes from the refinery like a credit card, you can break off portions for smaller amounts.

Call this asset class what you want....all a matter of wordage. If a person holds a metal for two months and makes a profit that is short term investment position in my opinion. Potential for holding stocks longer term....more money can be made. The reasons for holding metals vary among people and some chose to put their faith in paper assets and that has to do with your outlook for the future. Like I said before 3-5 percent of assets in metals which are off the financial grid is a good percentage to follow.....because of Divorce, monetary issues, legal problems, bankruptcies etc.......just out of the reach of prying eyes.

Timecop67

May 22, 2017
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't need $1,500.And your not buying junk weight...there are 99% pure https://www.apmex.com/product/63288/1-gram-gold-bar-apmex-tep

Yes can buy grams also. I've used that company APMEX out of Oklahoma City before to buy my 50 dollar Buffalos. The company is a little higher in price but they have good selection. I recently bought a nice gold 1 oz Canadian Maple Leaf from Liberty coin out of California at a little better price than other companies.

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other

:laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:
If you find yourself in that position, then someone did a p_ss poor job of planning.

If it ever comes to something where fiat is not accepted for a gallon of water, I think folks will learn pretty fast just what is.

EQ8

Feb 1, 2020
Sw Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Saw that a while ago.
That was an awesome video. And he even offered them to go into the coin shop right there and see what the coin was worth.

I doubt any of those kids will ever have anything I need to buy though.
They'll be the first ones in the box car lol.

Last edited:

EQ8

Feb 1, 2020
Sw Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was telling a 20 something once how he should buy silver because he was so young.
He said "why buy silver? I'll just buy lead".
Asked him why he said that..
His reply, "With lead I can take your silver"
Smart kid or what!

EQ8

Feb 1, 2020
Sw Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was telling a 20 something once how he should buy silver because he was so young.
He said "why buy silver? I'll just buy lead".
Asked him why he said that..
His reply, "With lead I can take your silver"
Smart kid or what!

EQ8

Feb 1, 2020
Sw Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a young guy tell me once..
"Why buy gold or silver? I can just buy lead."
I asked what he meant..
He said "With lead, I can take your silver."

EQ8

Feb 1, 2020
Sw Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about Venezuela?
A ton of silver there won't buy food that isn't available.
Now don't get me wrong, I love silver and gold, but there is also reality.
If the dollar is worthless, the metals will just replace the dollars and once again,
the value will only be what everyone agrees it is worth, just like our fiat money.
We find buried "treasure" from past civilizations.. but no people..

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
How about Venezuela?
A ton of silver there won't buy food that isn't available.
Now don't get me wrong, I love silver and gold, but there is also reality.
If the dollar is worthless, the metals will just replace the dollars and once again,
the value will only be what everyone agrees it is worth, just like our fiat money.
We find buried "treasure" from past civilizations.. but no people..

Except for some kind of "End of Days" type scene, resources are available, if you have money, and are willing to spend it. I'm talking actual money, not paper, or digits. In end of days, it's just a matter of time before you wouldn't want to be alive anyway, if you weren't killed first.
Gold and silver is and has been money for thousands of years, no matter what some bankers try to get people to believe.
They want the control. I like my freedom.
Idahodutch

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
At the end of the day, gold and silver don't taste any better than stocks or fiat dollars.

You are absolutely correct. They do however give the best chance to acquire what ever resources you are needing. (And that is the objective . . . at least for me).
Idahodutch

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
EQ8,
There is something else besides money that quite possibly might be a good to have extra of for purposes of exchange.
Ammo . . I do my own reloading, and thanks to our last president, I ended up with a little, it's ok, ammo lasts a long time.

I don't get why some folks get weirded out about, if someone want to have their savings in gold and silver. It's like they think everyone should be putting their savings into the markets, instead of saving it. If folks want to invest, I would recommend having a savings first, and only invest what you can afford to lose, because investing is gambling. Finance people just don't like calling it that. This is just opinion, please feel free to have a different one. I'm very ok with that.
I just don't like seeing hard working folk, talked into investing their savings just because they didn't know it was a gamble.
Sincerely, Idahodutch

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saw that a while ago.
That was an awesome video. And he even offered them to go into the coin shop right there and see what the coin was worth.

I doubt any of those kids will ever have anything I need to buy though.
They'll be the first ones in the box car lol.
These are the dumbed down people that are out there and they are everywhere. but the people who plan and save they will want you to take care of them like Mommy did lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread