WHAT TO BUY GOLD OR SILVER
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree157Likes

Thread: WHAT TO BUY GOLD OR SILVER

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Sep 2012
    MXT PRO AT GOLD ACE 250
    218 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

WHAT TO BUY GOLD OR SILVER

Age old question if I have in my pocket money to buy

1 US BUFFALO GOLD COIN

OR

do I buy Equal amount silver eagles

As investment
    What would yall do??

us
    May 2018
    A state of Resistance
    White's MXT Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
    3175 times
    Neither qualifies as an investment IMO. At best, bullion is a hedge against a crash. At worst, it is speculation.

IMO, Put your money in a no-load diversified mutual fund in your IRA or 401K, or if you have maxxed them out, open a brokerage account and buy stocks that interest you. If you are new to investing, then open a target-date fund.

Correction - considering it is only Jan 2, I can't imagine that anyone has maxxed out their contributions for 2020.

Source: Over 50 years of personal investing.
    Last edited by Megalodon; Jan 02, 2020 at 12:19 AM.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

us
    Jan 2016
    South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
    F2
    2217 times
    Prospecting
    1/10th or 1/4 oz gold, the rest silver. Silver might spring in the not too far future.
    Plus metals have far out performed stocks in the last 100 years...with 400 percent gains. Stocks dont retain value and you'll lose with inflation and the failing dollar.
    Buy what is undervalued. Metals have no third party risk and you cant go wrong with them.
    A2coins and Idahodutch like this.

us
    May 2018
    A state of Resistance
    3175 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnybravo300 View Post
    1/10th or 1/4 oz gold, the rest silver. Silver might spring in the not too far future.
    Plus metals have far out performed stocks in the last 100 years...400 percent gains.
    Buy what is undervalued. Metals have no third party risk and you cant go wrong with them.
    Metals have certainly not come close to stocks over the long run. During some recessions, metals have outperformed stocks.
    Metals require large price increases to break even since you buy above spot and sell under spot.

If confused about the difference between something so basic as speculation vs investing, then its time to do your research rather than asking questions on the internet. Vanguard, T.Rowe Price, Fidelity and many others have excellent websites and information.
    Last edited by Megalodon; Jan 02, 2020 at 12:43 AM.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

us
    Jan 2016
    F2
    2217 times
    Prospecting
    Gold has outperformed everything this year. Investment gold has done extremely well.
    Or buy stocks that are 60 percent overvalued. Not a hard choice.

us
    May 2018
    A state of Resistance
    3175 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnybravo300 View Post
    Gold has outperformed everything this year. Investment gold has done extremely well.
    Or buy stocks that are 60 percent overvalued. Not a hard choice.
    Simply untrue. My best mutual fund gained 48% this year and my worst, least risky did almost 23%.

There are many thousands of stocks and I don't recommend buying things that are overvalued. Look for low P/E, low P/B companies with little debt, good growth potential and/or decent dividends. They are out there. Holding gold in a safe gives you none of the advantages of compounding interest, capital gains or dividends. If retired, one can use the quarterly dividends for income. If not retired, they can be re-invested.

I would buy a CD before buying gold or silver.

us
    Jan 2016
    F2
    2217 times
    Prospecting
    Numbers like that should worry anyone. Melt ups dont last forever.
    Idahodutch likes this.

us
    Sep 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
    3608 times
    Megalodon is correct!
    Megalodon and Hobbs. like this.

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    7888 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    The gold and silver buying should be just part of a well rounded and diversified investment plan. I wouldn't exceed 5% of the total invested however. IMO, I would have both gold and silver with about a 20% and 80% ratio respectively.
    Avitech Associate

Something new is coming, the Cygnus, don't be left behind. A 22nd century detector for 21st century detectorists.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2014
    Massachusetts
    Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II & X-terra 705; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i & DFX
    29912 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Interesting thread. I recently purchased 2 kilos of silver bullion, just for fun!

Aug 2012
    876 times
    If you are looking for precious metal as a LONG TERM STORAGE of wealth (sure, it can increase in value but it's not a wise investment), I'd buy silver.

The silver to gold ratio is 86 oz of silver to 1 oz gold right now. In the last 10 years it's dipped as low as 40:1.

I would continue to alternate between the two and increase my quantity by taking advantage of fluctuations in the ratio.
    Hobbs., A2coins and PullTabPete like this.
    "The right to swing my fist ends where the other man's nose begins." Oliver Wendell Holmes.

us
    Sep 2019
    Idaho
    Whites MXT
    214 times
    Cache Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by GlenDronach View Post
    If you are looking for precious metal as a LONG TERM STORAGE of wealth (sure, it can increase in value but it's not a wise investment), I'd buy silver.

The silver to gold ratio is 86 oz of silver to 1 oz gold right now. In the last 10 years it's dipped as low as 40:1.

I would continue to alternate between the two and increase my quantity by taking advantage of fluctuations in the ratio.
    I agree with this. Anyone today that has the bulk of their capital in paper or digits, is a fool or blinded by greed. Silver and gold are money. Anything else is currency at best.
    Idahodutch
    Ps I am talking about today's scenario. Now is not a good time to risk, as the risk is too high. If you are keeping your savings in something other than money, you are at risk big time. Paper and digits are not money. If you have money other than savings an want to risk that, just be ok if you lose. If you are banking on winning, don't.
    Last edited by Idahodutch; Jan 09, 2020 at 10:54 AM.
    Hobbs. and A2coins like this.

us
    Ed

Jul 2018
    Eastern Connecticut
    Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
    2927 times
    Metal Detecting
    ALL investments are risky. You can make or lose money with bullion, stocks or any other investment item. The key is to buy and be able to hold until the time is right to cash in at a profit. The OP wanted an opinion on bullion.....silver versus gold. Buy some of each and buy what you like whether its Eagles or junk 90% coins or gold bullion items including foreign bullion gold coins which can be bought for just a few dollars over spot. Then be prepared to wait...….
    Last edited by Clad2Silver; Jan 09, 2020 at 11:23 AM.
    Idahodutch, A2coins, AARC and 1 others like this.

us
    Sep 2019
    Idaho
    Whites MXT
    214 times
    Cache Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Clad2Silver View Post
    ALL investments are risky. You can make or lose money with bullion, stocks or anything other investment item. The key is to buy and be able to hold until the time is right to cash in at a profit. The OP wanted an opinion on bullion.....silver versus gold. Buy some of each and buy what you like whether its Eagles or junk 90% coins or gold bullion items including foreign bullion gold coins which can be bought for just a few dollars over spot. Then be prepared to wait...….
    Clad,
    Today is a tough time and a good time. Bad that we don't use money as currency, because when you save, you are most likely saving paper or digits. Vapor, or toilet paper. Unfortunately we need to have some saved in this form to conduct daily transactions. The remaining savings should be money. Investing your savings, is huge risk. Only in est what you can afford to lose. Investing is gambling. For thousands of years people understood this.
    Edit. Good that we can trade crap wipe and digits for money.
    Last edited by Idahodutch; Jan 09, 2020 at 11:16 AM.

us
    Ed

Jul 2018
    Eastern Connecticut
    Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
    2927 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Idahodutch View Post
    Clad,
    Today is a tough time and a good time. Bad that we don't use money as currency, because when you save, you are most likely saving paper or digits. Vapor, or toilet paper. Unfortunately we need to have some saved in this form to conduct daily transactions. The remaining savings should be money. Investing your savings, is huge risk. Only in est what you can afford to lose. Investing is gambling. For thousands of years people understood this.
    Edit. Good that we can trade crap wipe and digits for money.
    I've put away silver and gold for many years and have made good money along the way by selling it at the right time. I still allot money each month to buy more bullion and will continue to do so. My holdings are approximately 75% silver and 25% gold.
    Idahodutch, Hobbs., AARC and 1 others like this.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links