What to Collect...

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I used to collect American Coins, but I can't afford anything nice anymore. I am thinking of Collecting Coins of the Philippians from the U.S. period. They were American Designed and produced coins. They are very good looking, and the rarest of them seems to be within my price range (from what I've seen so far). Does anyone out there collect these coins?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, I haven't done that and don't even have an American coin collection to speak of. I did put together three separate sets of Indian Head cents and Lincoln cents, but since have resold them.

One "free" thing to try for are the new 2019 quarters (5 kinds) minted in West Point, NY. There are only 2 million of each of the 5 varieties minted and unc. ones bring about $11. each. I have found maybe 30 in boxes of quarters from various banks.

Error coins, especially cents, are still popular.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been collecting coins since the early 60's, and have purchased very very few coins out in the open market. Have enjoyed finding coins in the WILD where and when I can. However, there's much fewer coins to be found out there as there was back then. Stick with it, remember finding in the wild is all at FACE VALUE, and the excitement is priceless when you find something of KEY IN NATURE.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No particular wisdom on coins of the Philippines under US sovereignty. Some of the silver issues can get pricey. The design is one of personal taste. I think the obverses are attractive but find the reverse designs somewhat martial. I think they would have more appeal if one had a personal connection to the Philippines.

Some excellent advice about finding coins in the wild. When some of us started, you could still find rare dates and silver in circulation. Indeed, I remember people saved the clad junk in 1965 as something "new" and continued to spend the real silver coins. Finding something interesting or valuable today is tough and requires one to handle a lot of coins. The only way to do this is to buy rolls or boxes at the bank and go through them, pulling dates or varieties of interest out. The W mint quarters are a great idea. Some find a sense of satisfaction when finding coins rather than buying them.

Last edited:

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
i have a nice set of them, in my opinion they belong in any true American collection. I am a fairly avid coin collector (50 years plus in the hobby)...tell me your price range and I can steer you into many different directions.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one thing about coins if you buy an old coin odds are that the price will never get any higher than what you paid ,try coin roll hunting and looking for errors unless you just want to collect coins for the sake of collecting I do tsome of that also. Good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread