199 Lincoln Cent Penny Error

maine72

Feb 13, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello to everyone,

Thanks for letting me be apart of your site!! I received this change a while back and I've been holding onto it to research errors. One of the numbers is missing off of the year. All of the letters is also missing on the obverse side. There's no photo of the man on the reverse side. There's just an outline of where the man was suppose to be placed at on the penny. I weighed it and it weighed 2.0g. Could this be a plating/planchet/metal error? Strange & Unique Penny here. I would love to hear you all's thoughts and opinions on this.

Attachments

• 199_ coin front.jpg
    199_ coin front.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 119
  • 199_ coin back.jpg
    199_ coin back.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 62

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need better pics looks like post mint damage like it may have been stuck in a dryer or something

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely just post mint damage, but welcome to the forum!

HuntH2002

Bronze Member
May 27, 2018
San Antonio, TX
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2015 Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100 // 2015 Bounty Hunter Ultra Mag Sharpshooter // 2019 Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome from Texas :wave:

Just PMD.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
We use the term “dryer coin” to describe the damage done to your coin. I happens when a coin, such as a modern cent, which is made of copper plated zinc (both soft metals) is left in a machine, such as a dryer, for a few cycles, before it is noticed and removed. I fished one out of the washer a few days ago that had very similar damage and appearance.

I know now you are new here, and have a lot to learn. When evaluating coins for possible errors, the first question to ask is “How could this happen during the process of manufacturing a coin?”

Time for more coffee.

EQ8

Feb 1, 2020
Sw Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"199" is a zinc cent. Wouldn't take much to damage it.
I'd bury it and in about 500 years if/when someone digs it up it will be like us finding a Roman coin. :)

OP
OP
M

maine72

Feb 13, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your response everyone!! Here's more photos of the coin. These are the best photos I could get of it.

199 coin damage Front.jpg 199 coin damage 2 Front.jpg 199 coin damage 3 front.jpg 199 coin damage 4 front.jpg 199 coin damage 5 back.jpg 199 coin damage 5 back.jpg .

Inspector Comet

Jan 3, 2020
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex,
Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Even if you don't have a valuable penny there, those are NICE photos!!! Very often photos on this site are "potato quality" as they say. This makes it hard for people to tell what they are looking at or determine helpful clues. I'm assuming your photos were taken with a digital scope, which is exactly what you want to get the most helpful feedback here. Good work!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread