1916 penny PMD

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any ideas on what happened to this penny? The obverse is simple enough to figure out but I am baffled by the damage on the reverse.

6B90E6ED-9BFB-46B3-919E-8EAEAB635104.jpeg 93B17849-6029-46B9-9BC2-E9C37AEE66E7.jpeg

Thanks for your input and HH

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The force of hitting the obverse side with the "X" punch caused the damage to the reverse side. The coin had to be placed on something solid like an anvil to enable the punch to penetrate that deeply.

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The force of hitting the obverse side with the "X" punch caused the damage to the reverse side. The coin had to be placed on something solid like an anvil to enable the punch to penetrate that deeply.

I took a close look at the back and compared it to the front and found the X lines up perfect with where the letters are missing in the back.

So, I gather the impact of the X flattened out the letters on the back and the designs i see on the back are likely from the hard surface the coin was struck on?

Thank you for the fast response! :occasion14:

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took a close look at the back and compared it to the front and found the X lines up perfect with where the letters are missing in the back.

So, I gather the impact of the X flattened out the letters on the back and the designs i see on the back are likely from the hard surface the coin was struck on?

Thank you for the fast response! :occasion14:
Those are some deep/strong counter punches.
Well done with the analysis, especially realizing the surface that the coin was sitting on caused the extra "details".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread