would you send in this nova

ShinyShores

Mar 19, 2020
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
opinions on if you would send in this nova to try to be cleaned and graded by pcgs. i scratched the coin digging it up on one side. I know its not worth much but to me im thinking properly identifying and securing it for my first cool find might be worth it? Or just no lol.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1586205982.637406.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1586197498.609763.jpg

Last edited:

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No leave it as is and try to find a better condition one. Its a great find tho!

OP
OP
ShinyShores

ShinyShores

Mar 19, 2020
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No leave it as is and try to find a better condition one. Its a great find tho!

Thanks, i known its not worth much, it would pretty much be for preservation and being able to show off an officially stated coin. You think i will find another? Many have said its a rare find regardless of the condition and is important part in history which is why i would send it in even tho its in poor shape.

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found my first Nova towards the end of last year and posted it here.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/618305-beautiful-nova-constellatio.html

If you read through the comments, a lot said to leave it as it. Its similar to yours, where the detail in captured in the crust of dirt on the coin. Removing that would remove almost all of the nice detail. Im not sure what a coin preservationist would do to it but id be afraid it would come back looking worse than when it went in.

My Nova is in a 2x2 coin flip. Its in there pretty snug and wont be flaking anytime soon. A lot people here have attempted to clean coins or seen others clean or attempt to preserve them and it doesnt always end well. Not every coin comes out of the ground the same. The more coppers you'll find you'll get a better unerstanding of this.

And yes, you will find more. Youre in rhode Island! That is some old country.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely not. The heavily corroded coins I have seen conserved did not end well. To ID it further, you could try making a rubbing of the coin with smooth aluminum foil, it is amazing how much more detail is visible. The Nova Constellatio coins are very interesting. While they were not officially sanctioned, the did circulate heavily.

OP
OP
ShinyShores

ShinyShores

Mar 19, 2020
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found my first Nova towards the end of last year and posted it here.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/618305-beautiful-nova-constellatio.html

If you read through the comments, a lot said to leave it as it. Its similar to yours, where the detail in captured in the crust of dirt on the coin. Removing that would remove almost all of the nice detail. Im not sure what a coin preservationist would do to it but id be afraid it would come back looking worse than when it went in.

My Nova is in a 2x2 coin flip. Its in there pretty snug and wont be flaking anytime soon. A lot people here have attempted to clean coins or seen others clean or attempt to preserve them and it doesnt always end well. Not every coin comes out of the ground the same. The more coppers you'll find you'll get a better unerstanding of this.

And yes, you will find more. Youre in rhode Island! That is some old country.

Thanks! Your nova is on AMAZING condition! Congrats to you on that find!

Wild Colonial Boy

Sep 7, 2013
the nearest ditch
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be cautious also,, unless you can ask up front if they had a solution that can fortify the releif detail

as Sultan said as the decoration at this stage is probably only contained in the patina that can flake off

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd hit it with some CoinCare, put it in a holder, and leave it be.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions