OP
OP
imafishingnutt

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Tesoro, Whites DFX, Nokta Impact Pro, Ace 400.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
iwas1ncthr said:
http://www.coinfacts.com/small_cents/cents_lincoln_memorial_reverse.html

Just a quick update, according to PCGS if you follow the link and look at the 1974 lincoln cent they say that it is now legal to own.
[/quote
Yes I know if they didnt want people to have them they shouldnt have let them leave the mint.
if it is in fact real wich the odds are slim ill fight them tooth and nail in court or should I say the guy who has it will

iwas1ncthr

Nov 20, 2007
Chicopee, Mass
Detector(s) used
Soon to have ML SE
COUNTRY GIRL said:
Is there a V D B on the bottom of the shoulder?

In 1909 the VDB was only struck on the reverse and then it went missing until I believe 1918 when the VDB was then stamped on the lower bust of Lincoln as all the Lincolns are to this day. I have personally seen the 1969-s with true doubling of the initials but I do not have the new cherry pickers guide so I am not sure if this is a new listed variety or not. I do know that there are many Lincolns out there that don't appear to show the VDB at the bottom of Lincoln but I am pretty sure it is due to either clogged dies or worn dies.

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
iwas1ncthr said:
COUNTRY GIRL said:
Is there a V D B on the bottom of the shoulder?

In 1909 the VDB was only struck on the reverse and then it went missing until I believe 1918 when the VDB was then stamped on the lower bust of Lincoln as all the Lincolns are to this day. I have personally seen the 1969-s with true doubling of the initials but I do not have the new cherry pickers guide so I am not sure if this is a new listed variety or not. I do know that there are many Lincolns out there that don't appear to show the VDB at the bottom of Lincoln but I am pretty sure it is due to either clogged dies or worn dies.

I agree 100 %! If there are only a dozen uacounted for, and it's as cool as it looks, does it have the VDB, from what I see they all should? Weight is another factor, but without a scale look deeper? :)

OP
OP
imafishingnutt

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the coin in the photo is for reference and not the actual coin.
but i can post the actual coin if need be

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
imafishingnutt said:
the coin in the photo is for reference and not the actual coin.
but i can post the actual coin if need be
Please do post a picture of the actual coin. I would love to see it. Wish I could find something like that! Cheers! Shane

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SWR said:
Wow, this thread is really dragging on for a long time without any definite answers. Surly the owner of the coin would have had it authenticated by now.
or at least picture posted of it on a scale ::)

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
iwas1ncthr said:
http://www.coinfacts.com/small_cents/cents_lincoln_memorial_reverse.html

Just a quick update, according to PCGS if you follow the link and look at the 1974 lincoln cent they say that it is now legal to own.

Here's a copy-and-paste from that link - the type was so small I couldn't read it without enlarging it:

"Large quantities of Aluminum and Bronze-clad Steel 1974 Cents were produced, but most were destroyed. Both are now illegal to own. "

Bummer if you've got one.

Nan

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
I found one of these plated buggers the other day. My heart almost jumped out of my chest until it hit the digital scales. I wonder if the guy who plated this thing is somewhere chuckling at me right now?

fugazi_penny.jpg

OP
OP
imafishingnutt

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No sir it was not a copy and paste

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool thread! Interesting stuff!

wecoyote

Oct 30, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett AT Pro, Whites 4900/D, Fisher TW-6, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found one of these plated buggers the other day. My heart almost jumped out of my chest until it hit the digital scales. I wonder if the guy who plated this thing is somewhere chuckling at me right now?

fugazi_penny.jpg

Back when I was a kid and we didn't know how bad Mercury is for you, we would rub pennies with mercury to make them nice and shiny. That may be what you have there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions