weird penny

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Tesoro, Whites DFX, Nokta Impact Pro, Ace 400.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 1111111.jpg
    1111111.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 3,396
  • 1111111.jpg
    1111111.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 3,357

vegasmtl

Jan 11, 2006
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bullseye II
I found one just like it.
Dealer said that there is a kit floating around out there that takes the copper off, leaves the zinc. I also did a search on aluminum lincoln cent, and found a rumor that one existed, but, when weighed, turns out just zinc.
:-\
vegasmtl

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Here's another entry (Wikipedia) that concerns the '74 aluminum cent. Note the last sentence.
Don.........
The 1974 aluminum cent was a one-cent coin proposed by the United States Mint in 1973. It was composed of an alloy of aluminum and trace metals, and intended to replace the predominantly copper–zinc cent due to the rising costs of coin production in the traditional bronze alloy. 1,570,000 were struck in anticipation of release, but none were released into circulation. Examples were passed out to US Congressmen in a bid to win favor in switching to the new alloy. When the proposed aluminum cent was rejected, the Mint recalled and destroyed the examples. A few aluminum cents not returned to the Mint are believed to remain in existence. One example was donated to the Smithsonian Institution, while another was alleged to have been found by a US Capitol Police Officer. Since the United States Secret Service is tasked with the seizure of any specimens, the legality of the coins is in doubt.
Don....

cedarratt

Nov 14, 2004
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
It may just have the copper platelet missing, or it is aluminum...

OP
OP
imafishingnutt

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mackaydon said:
Here's another entry (Wikipedia) that concerns the '74 aluminum cent. Note the last sentence.
Don.........
The 1974 aluminum cent was a one-cent coin proposed by the United States Mint in 1973. It was composed of an alloy of aluminum and trace metals, and intended to replace the predominantly copper–zinc cent due to the rising costs of coin production in the traditional bronze alloy. 1,570,000 were struck in anticipation of release, but none were released into circulation. Examples were passed out to US Congressmen in a bid to win favor in switching to the new alloy. When the proposed aluminum cent was rejected, the Mint recalled and destroyed the examples. A few aluminum cents not returned to the Mint are believed to remain in existence. One example was donated to the Smithsonian Institution, while another was alleged to have been found by a US Capitol Police Officer. Since the United States Secret Service is tasked with the seizure of any specimens, the legality of the coins is in doubt.
Don....
Maby I should leave the country..>LOL Kidding i better look into this .

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1974 wans'nt copper plated zinc, they were solid brass. Could be aluminum, who knows!

OP
OP
imafishingnutt

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coinlover said:
looks like a copy and paste job. ;)
would you like to see a pic of me holding it.
it is a cut and past bro because i was too lazy to take a pic.
but i can pose with it if you like.
its not polite to make some one out to be a liar

OP
OP
imafishingnutt

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
imafishingnutt

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is there a test for aluminum that wont hurt the coin

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weighing it should tell for sure, an aluminum cent would be much lighter than a normal brass cent.

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
I am a coin collector. I have a 1982 like this one. Someone just removed the copper.left the zinc. You can tell by weight. A 1974 cent (not correctly called a penny) weighs 3.11 grams.

WINDDANCERS

Nov 23, 2007
imafishingnutt said:
What do you guys think of this penny it appears to be aluminum.
YOU ARE RIGHT' IT'S NOT POLITE TO MAKE YOU OUT AS A LIAR'' WELL YOUR PENNY LOOK'S JUST LIKE THE ONE I HAVE''''''' AND HAVE HADE SINCE 1975;;;;;;;;;;;; DO THE WEIGHING OF IT'' AND Y WILL SEE''' ALUMINUM ON''''''''

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shanegalang said:
I am a coin collector. I have a 1982 like this one. Someone just removed the copper.left the zinc. You can tell by weight. A 1974 cent (not correctly called a penny) weighs 3.11 grams.
They didn't start using zinc in pennies until 1982 did they? A 1974 would be copper with no zinc!

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Evolution said:
shanegalang said:
They didn't start using zinc in pennies until 1982 did they? A 1974 would be copper with no zinc!
Cents up until 1982 were .950 copper and .050 tin and zinc. Good point tho.that's not allot of zinc. But there is some in there.......perhaps a planchet of aluminum or zinc got mixed in with a batch of copper planchets intended for cents. Its my understanding that our mints have/maybe still do mint coins for other countries. That said I imagine another planchet could have found its way in with cent planchets before minting.

iwas1ncthr

Nov 20, 2007
Chicopee, Mass
Detector(s) used
Soon to have ML SE
The 1974 Alm. cent is indeed a real deal as part of the official story is true, the other part missing in it's entirety is the fact that there were about 45 of these "special" cents handed out to members of congress. As of today the official stance is that of the 33 DE that is illegal to own however a good friend of mine who has been in the coin business since the early 70's tells me that 2 of these coins were exchanged in the "black market" of collectors and fetched around 25K each. My friend has owned a nice coin shop for over 30 years and is one of the most honest coin dealers I know "that's how we became friends" on that note just a quick story to show you how we became friends, I went to see how much some silver dimes & quarters were worth one time and Tom actually looked through them and found what many in the dime collecting call the gem of the coins, it was a 1942/1. He not only told me what I had he also sat down and gave me a class on how it was made and started to teach me about coins in general. He then told me what I had in silver coins as to what he would pay and then offered me $475 at the time for the coin in which I said yes to in an instant. Not only did I end up becoming good friends with him but the years of knowledge he has passed on to me is priceless. Anyway, hope this helps and I hope you enjoy the little story of how I got into numismatics.

OP
OP
imafishingnutt

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I doesnt seem right for some not to be able to own a penny that they sent out to a few and didnt get back
seems to me it would be thier fault.

1974 ONE CENT
PCGS No: 2971

Mintage:
Circulation strikes: 4,232,140,523
Proofs: 0

Designer: Obverse by Victor David Brenner; reverse by Frank Gasparro

Diameter: 19 millimeters

Metal content:
Copper - 95%
Tin and Zinc - 5%

Weight: 48 grains (3.11 grams)

Edge: Plain

Mintmark: None (for Philadelphia, PA) below the date

Notes:
1,579,324 1974 One Cent pieces were struck in Aluminum, a handful going to members of Congress and staff members. The entire mintage was destroyed except for an estimated dozen examples that were never recovered from the Congressmen and their staffs.

One example resides in the National Numismatic Collection at the Smithsonian Institution, having been turned over to the museum by Charles Holstein, staff director for the House Banking Subcommittee at the time.

In early 2001, a report surfaced that an unnamed grading service had examined a 1974 Aluminum Cent, but had not authenticated or encapsulated the coin. The coin was reportedly in the hands of the family of a deceased Capitol Hill police officer who found the piece in 1973 "on the pavement while on duty in the basement of the House Office Building" where the officer believed it had been dropped by a Congressman.

Type I Aluminum Cent blanks are known. One was donated to the National Numismatic Collection in the mid-1980's by David L. Ganz, who had been present during the Congressional hearings concerning the changes in the metal composition of the Cent. Ganz also donated a Type 1 Aluminum Cent blank to the American Numismatic Association and sold a third in a 1994 auction conducted by Heritage Numismatic Auctions, Inc.

In 1994, a former employee at a Pennsylvania steel mill sent a previously unknown, bronze-clad steel cent to Coin World. The employee found the coin in 1974 when Mint officials brought bags of the bronze-clad steel Cents to the steel mill to be destroyed. Reportedly, one bag broke open and not all of the coins were recovered.

Both the Aluminum and Bronze-clad Steel 1974 Cents are illegal to own.

The finest Uncirculated Red-Brown examples graded by PCGS are 2 MS-64RB's.

The finest Uncirculated Red examples graded by PCGS are 41 MS-67RD's.

Sources and/or recommended reading:
Coin World, March 5, 2001, pages 1 and 85

"The PCGS Population Report, October 2003" by The Professional Coin Grading Service

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread