1944 Coin on beach

Pripyat

Apr 30, 2018
Sand Hills Forest, SC
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only found a couple dollars in change with my bountyhunter. I took the detector to the beach on vacation and was digging up coins in the sand up near the dune grass. I think I got 5 coins total in about 30 minutes.

Never imagined and still can't believe I dug up a 1944 wheat penny. I saw multiple people walking detecting during the week. What are the odds?

20201130_145457.jpg

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd say you got a really good start in the hobby :) A wheat finally after mediocre finds for a while!

There's more there you know? Here's to great fortune in your future. You broke down a door :) There's silver coming!

MKW

Feb 3, 2020
Coastal SC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 600
ML Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depending on the beach that you were at, the odds are pretty good for seeing other detectorists...me included. LOL

OP
OP
P

Pripyat

Apr 30, 2018
Sand Hills Forest, SC
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still trying to figure out how to detect on the strand. I could really only get consistent results at low tide, way up at the dry sand. I think that they have an erosion issue where I was detecting, there were signs all over warning not to mess up the plant growth on the dunes. Where I found the penny was about 2ft from a 2ft drop where the dune ended and the beach began (where water extends up to at the highest tide, storm included). Kind-of hard to explain, but that penny was likely in the dune up until it was eroded away. I went back and walked that stretch later on and didn't get anything but half a pair of sunglasses, no lens. I have dug up SO much trash, it felt great to dig up something with some historical value. I imagine it is worthless in its current state but I at least wanted to share my first cool find.

Thanks for looking!

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the old wheatie! Thanks for sharing with us.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know a beach that has given up dozens of oldies to me, just found a buff nickel couple weeks ago.

Not typical for a beach granted, but it happens. This beach was completely man made in the early 1950's, so back then would not have been unusual for people to carry 20-30 year old change like we do now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread