Coin Cleaning Advice

occy

Oct 21, 2012
St Aug
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal sword
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Before I get yelled at, I know it is never smart to clean any valuable coins. The coins I am looking for suggestions on were given to me, recently. They don't seem to be incredibly valuable, so I was thinking of cleaning a couple of them so they can be viewed and enjoyed a little easier. The coins I inherited were in a glass jar that was kept in a dresser drawer. The house flooded with salt water and the water got into the jar of coins. There were copper, silver, and nickel coins in the jar. That created a mess. The silver coins were not in too bad shape to read, so I made sure there were no key dates. There were a couple and I kept them seperate, while I lightly tumbled the rest. I will post the older silver and nickel ones later and wait for advice on what I should do to them. Here are the couple of coppers I would like to be able to see better. Soak them in olive oil?

Flying eagle cent:
20201114_103339.jpg

20201114_103350.jpg

1809 Half cent:
20201114_103257.jpg

20201114_103308.jpg

Holt0222

Sep 24, 2015
Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know my grandpa always just soaked his dug coins in a solution of dawn dish soap and water.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Acetone and then a coating of CoinCare or similar if you just want to arrest the corrosion and protect the coin without removing detail or patina. As you know and mentioned, harsh cleaning methods can effect the coins value. If they have very little value, or, if cleaning won't effect the value much, there are variety of methods depending on the type of metal, the degree of corrosion, and how you want it to look in the end. You may want to check out the Cleaning/Preserving section here on Tnet. Good Luck!

OP
OP
occy

occy

Oct 21, 2012
St Aug
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal sword
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thank you for pointing out the section on cleaning! I never look below the Metal Detecting section. I now noticed a few coins that have some value to them, and I want to choose the right method to bring out the details and preserve them.

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I would look into the process of reverse electrolysis, I use it for cleaning any number of objects.
I does not require much equipment, basically a power supply with test leads and a small clear glass tank or bowl.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread