Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I'll stand by my 'send it in for authentication' comment. Use DHL or FedEx, insure the coin and get a receipt of acceptance from the authentication company. If it is put up for sale as authentic, only a fool would buy a 'pig in a poke' without the coin's Certificate of Authenticity and a grade.
Don......

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
I'll stand by my 'send it in for authentication' comment. Use DHL or FedEx, insure the coin and get a receipt of acceptance from the authentication company. If it is put up for sale as authentic, only a fool would buy a 'pig in a poke' without the coin's Certificate of Authenticity and a grade.

I'm all for getting it authenticated. I'm just not sure I would trust sending it to someone I had never met or seen before. And what would insurance cost on something like that if you shipped it? A couple of years ago I sent in the ECM (computer) for a vehicle to be repaired. I asked UPS how much it would cost to insure it for $500 and if I remember correctly, the insurance cost was about 20% of the value. I could have driven it there and used the insurance savings to pay for fuel. Also, I'm a question guy. If I was getting something authenticated and appraised I know I would have a lot of questions, and would want to be there to ask them in person.

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
My bad..not sure why I was thinking 24k.
Either way gold typically comes out of the ground fresh as a baby’s butt.

“So, you were metal detecting and have dug other gold coins, so you knew that this good signal was indeed another gold coin beofe you started to dig?”

This is not my coin.
I’m posting it here for a friend to get some opinions on the condition.
Was really hoping for some discussion on grading.

Do you have an opinion on the grading?

It was found with a Fisher Gold Bug 2 detector.

You really can't scold or fault us for asking lots of when/why/how questions and then say you really just want to stick to a grading discussion when you are baiting us with mystical comments like "Once you dig one coin of significance, you are extremely careful about the next good signal ; )".....just sayin'...... XF-40.

HH all!

Greg

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Agreed, 1235CE. I've dug a few "good signals" in my time.
I will add it looks cleaned and it will prbabaly come back "improperly cleaned" therefore lowering the nusmatic value.

OP
OP
T

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You really can't scold or fault us for asking lots of when/why/how questions and then say you really just want to stick to a grading discussion when you are baiting us with mystical comments like "Once you dig one coin of significance, you are extremely careful about the next good signal ; )".....just sayin'...... XF-40.

HH all!

Greg

If you were in my position, you would do the same.
Not everyone jumps on here to share their banner finds.
Thanks for your thoughts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed, 1235CE. I've dug a few "good signals" in my time.
I will add it looks cleaned and it will prbabaly come back "improperly cleaned" therefore lowering the nusmatic value.

I can tell you if it was cleaned, it was 155 years ago or so.
Running warm water and gentle dabbing with toilet paper is all it took.
We very very carefully dug the coin and knew the date/mint before we ever thought about rinsing it off.
No muddy rubber gloves rubbing dates here.

I can’t guess how it will grade.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right up front..
“Great story behind it, that will be years down the road.”

I was trying to say...the story behind the coin won’t follow anytime soon. No baiting involved.
I was clear it wasn’t my coin. Do you want me to spill the beans on someone else’s find??!
Suppose I could of made up some bullchit story to satisfy the curiosity.

Yet the comments were “get it graded” and questions about how it was found.
Figured I responded in a pretty straight forward manner. You figure it out.

I appreciate the input that was given.
Truthfully this is a pretty rare coin regardless, more so given the condition.
I thought people might enjoy seeing it and having some discussion on the grading aspects. It may never be offered for sale.

Oh well. Lesson learned, I’m done defending what I’ve shared thus far. I’ve no skin in the game anyway. It’s back in the safe.

Last edited:

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
What "position" are you in?.....you have a picture of a coin and we graded it for you......nobody ever asked you for GPS numbers nor do we want them....You are on a metal detecting web-site….we are treasure hunters, we like stories like "found outside an old saloon or found on a dusty old trail", etc....instead we got "this story won't be told for years and once you did one coin of significance you're very careful when digging the next one"........you are not obliged to share anything with us but you had us interested with your comments, hence the questions.....This isn't life altering money we're talking about here.....probably should have just said, "my friend found this coin and I would like to get an approximate grade on it"....which you basically did, but then added all the little comments like the SS Central America had been re-discovered....and with that said I hope your friend finds 100 more....

HH all!

Greg

OP
OP
T

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greg said “...and with that said I hope your friend finds 100 more....”

That’s the idea.