Opine on a GOLD 1861S Half Eagle??

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any amateur coin graders interested in debating the condition of something like this?
I don’t frequent this part of T-Net to know much.

Obviously everyone wants to see gold.

Just trying to generate some interest from some that may have enough knowledge or experience to maybe take a fairly accurate WAG based on photos.

Will upload photos tomorrow evening when I am able to see it if there is interest.

Thanks

Last edited:

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1/11 /21...." I will upload pix. tomorrow" ??? We can't help you w/o helping us ???

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anxious to see your gold piece...!
1861-S Half-Eagle
Check
Drool

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been holding back, but I figures that I’d chime in... no visible wear, scratches, or dings... I don’t see any evidence of cleaning or environmental damage, so I’ll say MS64, but could be MS63 or MS65. High resolution photos of the obverse and reverse could make me change my opinion though.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

OP
OP
T

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry guys..,not my coin and high resolution photos ARE my responsibility.

Wasn’t able to follow through yet of taking pictures because of factors out of my control.
Rest assured, there will be some decent pics that will follow.

I was hoping for some interest, but it was silent up until I checked in today... ; )

Glad to see a few people interested. This one is in-between valuable and highly valuable I think. I’m no expert.

Great story behind it, that will be years down the road.

Last edited:

Fossils

Oct 25, 2019
MA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’d be happy to take a look. Pics will be necessary of course.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can go to the pcgs website and actually look at each grade, that might help in the meantime.

OP
OP
T

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FB50C979-0698-4580-B169-F5183CD3FBAC.jpeg

===============================

32EB4DBF-2F64-4CC8-BB3A-7DA5F6A1D270.jpeg

These were just quick cell phone pics. I can probably get better detail if there is an area of interest.
I understand these are scarce and that the price quickly drops depending on condition.
Also be interested in opinions on actual estimated value at today’s market.

This one may have traveled a decent amount on horseback nestled together with other gold coins in a money belt or a bag of coins.

Definitely wasn’t cleaned. It came out of the ground after having rested for a decent length of time. It was dug very carefully, knowing what it was ahead of time.

Last edited:

Fossils

Oct 25, 2019
MA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say Extremely Fine. Most likely an EF-40 or a 45.

The ANA Grading Standards Book lists these descriptions for an EF-45 coin:

Obverse: There is light wear on coronet, hair above ear, eye, forelocks, and top of head.

Reverse: Light wear shows on edges and tips of wings, neck, below eye, and on claws.

All in all a really beautiful coin!

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Credit to Douglas Winter @ rare gold coins.com

3E77F4AA-839C-485E-BF77-15D4E6F25C9A.jpeg
35B6E8E2-EC60-4E4D-B1D7-239ACD4414B0.jpeg

outlaws15

Jul 1, 2020
Missouri
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The mouth just doesn't seem right.
My first thought was that it was a counterfeit, but I have no experience with coins. I've been wrong b4 and probably will be again.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
View attachment 1893760

===============================

View attachment 1893759

Definitely wasn’t cleaned. It came out of the ground after having rested for a decent length of time. It was dug very carefully, knowing what it was ahead of time.

I really have to give you credit. But my mind begs to know "How did you actually know it was there ahead of time"?

Just that I have been digging for 50 yrs plus and have yet to know what lays below-have a thought/wish/idea/hope but never a knowing ahead of time.
So somebody told you then?

Beautiful looking gold-send it in and get a grade on it then you'll know for sure.

Do have some books on grading in storage-but then there's the quality of pics/environmental damage/cleaned aspect of the grading. They really seem to like those labels on the slabs.

outlaws15

Jul 1, 2020
Missouri
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
O P did say there was story behind it. Sounds like it was hid and O P knew where it was hidden. Just a guess.
The shape for definitely not being cleaned is awesome

I really have to give you credit. But my mind begs to know "How did you actually know it was there ahead of time"?

Just that I have been digging for 50 yrs plus and have yet to know what lays below-have a thought/wish/idea/hope but never a knowing ahead of time.
So somebody told you then?

Beautiful looking gold-send it in and get a grade on it then you'll know for sure.

Do have some books on grading in storage-but then there's the quality of pics/environmental damage/cleaned aspect of the grading. They really seem to like those labels on the slabs.

OP
OP
T

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Per the “send it in and have it graded” suggestions, that may eventually happen. It might not.
This is not my coin.

I was thinking it was right below AU grading scale. I’ve read the red book and am vaguely familiar with how coins are graded.

When you read that write up on the scarcity of this date/mint, combined with the fact that most have been harshly cleaned and only a handful in AU condition...it makes me think hang onto it awhile longer and the value will likely climb significantly. Then there is the possibility of a sunken ship being salvaged, which could destroy the value.

=============
24 karat gold typically comes out of the ground looking like the day it was lost/hidden regardless of how long it has been buried. Chance of environmental damage is low. I’m scratching my head at why someone would have to harshly clean a pure gold coin.

Knowing the target was pretty simple. Once you dig one coin of significance, you are extremely careful about the next good signal ; )

Last edited:

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
The coin is not 24k gold.
"Once you dig one coin of significance"? So, you were metal detecting and have dug other gold coins, so you knew that this good signal was indeed another gold coin beofe you started to dig? What machine did you use?

OP
OP
T

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coin is not 24k gold.
"Once you dig one coin of significance"? So, you were metal detecting and have dug other gold coins, so you knew that this good signal was indeed another gold coin beofe you started to dig? What machine did you use?

My bad..not sure why I was thinking 24k.
Either way gold typically comes out of the ground fresh as a baby’s butt.

“So, you were metal detecting and have dug other gold coins, so you knew that this good signal was indeed another gold coin beofe you started to dig?”

This is not my coin.
I’m posting it here for a friend to get some opinions on the condition.
Was really hoping for some discussion on grading.

Do you have an opinion on the grading?

It was found with a Fisher Gold Bug 2 detector.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say Extremely Fine. Most likely an EF-40 or a 45.

The ANA Grading Standards Book lists these descriptions for an EF-45 coin:

Obverse: There is light wear on coronet, hair above ear, eye, forelocks, and top of head.

Reverse: Light wear shows on edges and tips of wings, neck, below eye, and on claws.

All in all a really beautiful coin!

Thanks Fossils, I’ve passed on you opinion as well as the grading guidelines for EF45.
It is really something when sitting in your hand.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread