Buffalo Niickel questions

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
I got back from grocery shopping this afternoon and when I sorted my change I noticed a Buffalo Nickel in the mix. So I whipped out the trusty magnifying glass to check it out, but true to form the date had worn off the obverse side. The only writing that remained was on the reverse side reading, "United States of America" and "E Pluribus Unum". Is there any chance of narrowing down the date on this, or is it a mystery for all time?

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
finding a buffalo these days in ur change is great I know somewhere u have to look up you can put some kind of acid on it and it can revel a date if not to badly worn off good luck let us know

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is FIVE CENTS on the bottom of the reverse visible? If not it may be a 1913, Early 1913 had the bison on a raised mound, but the FIVE CENTS wore too much so it was changed to a recessed area part way through the year. There is a product called Nick-A-Date, it is an acid that will bring the date back but it will leave a discolored area where it is applied.

OP
OP
MiddenMonster

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
I know somewhere u have to look up you can put some kind of acid on it and it can revel a date if not to badly worn off good luck let us know

Is FIVE CENTS on the bottom of the reverse visible? If not it may be a 1913, Early 1913 had the bison on a raised mound, but the FIVE CENTS wore too much so it was changed to a recessed area part way through the year. There is a product called Nick-A-Date, it is an acid that will bring the date back but it will leave a discolored area where it is applied.

Here's an image I just took. The focus is not super sharp because it was tough to hold the camera steady without a stand. Plus, I used a macro lens with an extender tube.

Buffalo Nickel - Obverse.jpg Buffalo Nickel - Reverse.jpg

Attachments

• Buffalo Nickel.jpg
    Buffalo Nickel.jpg
    425.5 KB · Views: 47

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
I heard about tabasco sauce when I had the same issue. Put the coin in for a while and the date was reviled when viewed at the correct angle.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the good one, worth a few rolls of nickels the date is obvious --leave it as is

OP
OP
MiddenMonster

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
Thanks for all the good information, people. Everything I've heard about handling coins is that it's better not to do anything to clean them up; the condition is the condition when you get it, and that's what you live with. Still not sure what clues give away the date, but it's definitely going into the box with the other odd coins I have accumulated over the years. Probably not more than a $50 value of coins for the lot, but it's still better than keeping them in circulation until they end up in a CoinStar machine.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
The giveaway is the raised mound on reverse. Do just a little research here on the interenet and you will find that there are two reverses for buffalo nickels. The raised mound was only used in 1913 and redesigend so that the "five cents" wording would not wear away.

Not much numismatic value in such a worn coin, imo.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The nickel should be saved from any more circulation.
After all, the coin design was a popular beginning to a Hobo Nickel, as the coin was so thick.
I honor the Indian/Buffalo nickels, that represent to me, the near extinction of those races...!

OP
OP
MiddenMonster

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
The nickel should be saved from any more circulation.
After all, the coin design was a popular beginning to a Hobo Nickel, as the coin was so thick.
I honor the Indian/Buffalo nickels, that represent to me, the near extinction of those races...!

That's the plan. I'm guessing that unless it goes to descendants it will eventually end up with a collector. I'm not a big coin collector, but when I see old coins I throw them in a little metal cash box with the till drawer in it. I'm sure this Buffalo Nickel had an interesting journey in the 107 years of its existence. It saw two world wars, incredible technological advancement and all kinds of other history. In its own small way it played a part in all of it whenever anyone used in in a purchase. I'm sure it saw some sad times, too. Someone may have pulled this nickel from circulation decades ago and considered it their lucky nickel, living in their pocket for who knows how long, only to accidentally spend it and put it back in circulation until it ended up with me.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Or, it was an old timers and when he kicked the bucket his kids found a box with a bunch of unmarked old coins in his closet and they ran the contents through the coinstar machine for some quick extra cash.
Food for thought on marking the box and or coins for the future and/or descendants.

OP
OP
MiddenMonster

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
Or, it was an old timers and when he kicked the bucket his kids found a box with a bunch of unmarked old coins in his closet and they ran the contents through the coinstar machine for some quick extra cash.
Food for thought on marking the box and or coins for the future and/or descendants.

That makes sense. I was talking to a friend about the nickel this afternoon and he told me about a mutual friend, now deceased who worked at a gas station when we were in college. This mutual friend had a coffee can full of old Indian Heads, Morgans, etc that he bought out of the till at the gas station when they came in. Turns out he got so many old coins because kids were stealing them from their parents to buy candy. Apparently, the kids knew their parents would miss the modern money they kept around the house, but wouldn't miss the collectible coins because they never went back to check on them. Sneaky.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That makes sense. I was talking to a friend about the nickel this afternoon and he told me about a mutual friend, now deceased who worked at a gas station when we were in college. This mutual friend had a coffee can full of old Indian Heads, Morgans, etc that he bought out of the till at the gas station when they came in. Turns out he got so many old coins because kids were stealing them from their parents to buy candy. Apparently, the kids knew their parents would miss the modern money they kept around the house, but wouldn't miss the collectible coins because they never went back to check on them. Sneaky.

Horrors, the thought of it...!
I'm very sure it has happened, though...!

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
1913 type 1!

100% correct. You found yourself a 1913 Type 1 Buffalo. They were only issued that one year, so we can be sure of the date. The mound under the Buffalo is a dead giveaway. The 1913 Type 2 and all of the other dates had the Buffalo on a platform. Very cool coin, but without a mint mark evident, it is going to run as a fairly common. A couple of other things, The 1913 Type 1 was natorious for Bad strikes, Die Damage, and really ugly surfaces. Finding a 1913 type 1 with nice eye appeal and good strike was one of the coins I was looking for when I was a collector. It took me 3 years to find one, and was able to get it at auction for a Nice MS 65 Price (even though it was MUCH nicer looking than a normal 65).
1913-.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread