PCGS/NGC Slab Storage

johnnyjohnson2043

Aug 26, 2019
Fort Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just getting back into coin collecting after a 25 year hiatus. Right now I'm focusing on coppers (IHC for now but eventually large cents and colonials). My question is, does anyone know of any quality wooden storage boxes that will fit both PCGS and NGC slabs? I know that the height and width difference is an issue with some storage options. Thanks!

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most fit one or the other but there are a few (plastic, not wood) that will fit both. I saw pics of them on Cointalk.com coin forum. I made a wooden box for 2X2 flips but haven't made one for slabs yet. Gary

DSC09382.JPG DSC09383.JPG DSC09389.JPG

OP
OP
J

johnnyjohnson2043

Aug 26, 2019
Fort Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice job on the box Gary, would it be made from curly maple?

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Looks like walnut or maybe even teak and I don't see any dove tails! Nice box!

Back to the thread...

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
Very nice job on the box Gary, would it be made from curly maple?

I was thinking some kind of maple too, but was getting a tiger maple vibe from it.

Looks like walnut or maybe even teak and I don't see any dove tails!

I was suggesting to the OP that dovetails would be the way to go on a project like this since he was just getting into woodworking. You can't beat a dovetail for a solid joint, and they are relatively easy to do when you are working on thin pieces of wood. And as new experience projects go, a box like that is a great start: Rip your chosen stock to width. Use a router to run a groove in the top and bottom of the side pieces for the lid and bottom of the box. Cut the sides, top, bottom and end pieces to length. Scribe your dovetails to match where you put the grooves. Sand. Steel wool. Glue/assemble sides, front and back but not top or bottom. Don't scrimp on the clamps. Stain. Finish. Another coat of finish. Have a beer. Post photos. Repeat process for next box.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I'm with ya on the suggestion, MM. However, the inside of the box doesn't look stained and maple is a light colored wood.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The wood is feather crotch walnut. It has been stained. I have a sawmill and cut lots of walnut. I've made gunstocks for 40 yrs. but this is my first adventure making any kind of item with square glued edges. Dovetails are way over my head! After I made the box I was told not to store coins in a wooden box as it may stain the coins. Oh well, I still like my box. Made a second one out of cherry and did some carving on it. Will post a pic if I can find it. Gary

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread