DOUBLE HEADED QUARTER

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Such coins are commonly sold as novelties or for 'bar trick' conjuring. Usually made by brazing together two coins that have been ground down to half thickness or hollowing one out and inserting another into the hollow after filing it down, but occasionally made in a single piece as a copy. Get your friend's father to have a really good look at the edge and also make a detailed side-by-side comparison with a genuine quarter.

Example here, from 'magictricks.com':

https://www.magictricks.com/double-sided-quarter.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
Surf_Pirate

Surf_Pirate

Life's Short - Dig Deep
Mar 31, 2013
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ahhh makes perfect sense... didn't think of this but I'll pass it along. Thanks Red-Coat

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend said his father has a U.S. Quarter 1994 P. that is double sided. I've seen a picture, nothing special, definitely circulated.
Is there any worth to this find?

Bought one in a novelty store 40 years ago.........Worth ?........Won a ton of bets w/it,flipping that coin :)

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
Bought one in a novelty store 40 years ago.........Worth ?........Won a ton of bets w/it,flipping that coin :)

Doesn't that only work if you are calling the flips, or you have a stooge that is calling the flips? Regardless of whether it is double headed or double tailed, the person calling the flips has the advantage.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't that only work if you are calling the flips, or you have a stooge that is calling the flips? Regardless of whether it is double headed or double tailed, the person calling the flips has the advantage.

Yeah,I call it ,heads I win, tails you looooose :)

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As stated, it is a novelty coin. I have made them myself just because I wanted to see if I could do it. It actually turned out pretty good. I didn't bother with brazing. I just glued it with super glue. You can definitely tell if you look really close at the coin. But if you are just flipping it, no one will know the difference.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread