2 Duniten 1676 coin

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonder if anyoneā€™s ever heard of this coin or have any idea on value. To me it looks like a pirate coin but thereā€™s nothing I can find out there as far as what it might be worth!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1614484025.986307.jpg

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thatā€™s a terrific find and a rare coin, although I donā€™t know what its value would be in that condition.

Those linked above are four duiten coins and yours is obviously two duiten (from the number 2 and also the number of leaves on the branch where the parrot is sitting). There was also a one duit. They're usually uniface but some have a depiction of a tree on the other side.

I agree the date on yours looks like 1676 but that raises a question. These coins were produced in Suriname on the instruction of Governor Johannes Heinsius (who was said to be fond of parrots and kept them as pets). But he wasnā€™t appointed Governor until 15 January 1678 and the first coins were produced in 1679, bearing that date. This was in defiance of policy that Dutch colonial coins should be produced by homeland mints, but the colony was so short of coinage that he went ahead anyway.

I wonder if that ā€˜6ā€™ is actually the result of a die punch for ā€˜9ā€™ being inadvertently used upside down? Such errors are not uncommon in older coins but I havenā€™t seen it reported for this one.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Holy smokes! Thank you! I couldnā€™t find anything on it. Mine looks like itā€™s been cleaned. Or polished at some point. I know itā€™s been in a binder since my buddies house for a long time but he doesnā€™t even remember where he got it or how long heā€™s had it. It just said unknown on the holder! I guess to PCGS it will go.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
good idea, we can only tell you so much from a photo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread