RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My grandfather was a big coin collector from the 1960s, until he died. He had them stashed everywhere and I still find them when I go up to my grandmas house in PA. He had mostly junk silver, but he also had a few nice ones stashed away. I'm keeping those for sure.

Below, is a fascinating Morgan dollar that he had stuffed in a drawer for who knows how long. It has some amazing toning from maybe something that was in the drawer? I don't know how it got like that, but he had a few others like it that I left up in PA for now.

DSC_0028.jpg DSC_0029.jpg

The one below is what I would call artificially toned. He was an experimenter of sorts, and he left this one in a cabinet with cleaners and solvents along with a few other examples since I'm assuming the 1980s or something judging by the age of he bottles. Honestly, how the man didn't burn the house down with those chemicals, I'll never know. The rainbow toning is spectacular, but I'm guessing artificial since I suppose this was the wanted end result.

DSC_0001.jpg

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of the early coin folders and other paper products were acidic in nature which can cause toning/tarnish on coins. You can also duplicate that yourself with various substances. Sometimes the results look nice, sometimes they look awful. It is corrosion after all, so, I wouldn't want to add any more to the coin than it's going to get naturally. It probably will detract from the value eventually.

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't purchase one for a collection like that... but, it sure is pretty!

OP
OP
RustyRelics

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I wouldn't purchase one for a collection like that... but, it sure is pretty!

They're not my cup of tea, I like the black tarnish in the recessed areas kind of look. I might try to sell the Morgan or trade it for a cob or pistareen. I've been wanting one of those. :)

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
That walking liberty looks pretty cool. It would make a neat necklace, maybe, for mom.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where exactly did you say that house is?:laughing7: Pretty cool to go treasure hunting in the house! It might not be a “purists” cup of tea...but I like the look of both!

OP
OP
RustyRelics

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Where exactly did you say that house is?:laughing7: Pretty cool to go treasure hunting in the house! It might not be a “purists” cup of tea...but I like the look of both!

At an "Undisclosed location" lol! He stashed stuff in the ceiling, in the walls, in the floor, buried stuff, hid it in the chimney, anywhere where he could store something, he did. I was on the phone with my grandma last year, and she said that he had a secret panel where he hid Japanese sniper rifles! He probably sold them, but it's another hiding place to search.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Years ago I received a '41 Walker from my grandfather's estate after he passed.
It was pretty worn and had been cleaned years earlier, so it had little numismatic value.

I sent it to a guy in Virginia and had it made into a ring.
Dave

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
excal2, XP Deus, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is very cool Dave.. I have thought that I would like to get one made...Perhaps

that would be something to do in these, the dog days of spring [as it were]:laughing7:

Micheal

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
Rusty Relics, don't listen to these guys as a very nicely toned coin can fetch far more value, not less. That Morgan is great and may command a high $ value so get it checked out. The walker is worn even though nicely toned and the toning there is negated by the wear on it. As was stated, they may have been in contact with papers or containers that reacted on the silver.

Woodsy

Oct 26, 2018
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Outlaw, Mojave, Nox 800, E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree, your grandfather did great with those. The toning is very nicely aged and people look for coins that have that natural toning.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread