Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
NEW YORK – “Never.” That was the curt response given by the Sotheby’s expert to questions about how often an auction like the upcoming one had occurred.

On June 8, the world-renowned auction house is set to host the bidding on three enormously valuable items: the world’s most expensive stamp, the most popular US stamp and the second-most valuable coin on the planet.

The coin is owned by designer Stuart Weitzman, 79, who – after owning them for a number of years – decided that now is the time to let go of the precious objects.

“It was sort of a childhood dream of his to own the best stamp in the world. The best coin in the world, the best American stamp in the world” said Austin.

“He’s had fun owning them and showing them. And now he wants to have fun selling them,” he added.

The 1933 Double Eagle coin is considered to be the “Mona Lisa” of coins. “It’s the only one that’s available to own privately. There are 33 other examples Double Eagles but those are owned by the US Mint.".

It’s the last gold coin struck by the US Mint, has a face value of $20 and was designed by the well-known sculptor Augustus Saint-Gaudens but was never put into circulation because President Franklin Roosevelt in 1933 decided to stop having US money backed by gold reserves in a move to get the Great Depression under control.

Don......

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn... I was waiting for the first most valuable coin.

:P

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, let's not forget... "second comes right after first" [Buzz Aldrin in 'The Simpsons' episode 'Deep Space Homer']

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the most valuable? 1804 silver dollar?

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the most valuable? 1804 silver dollar?

I believe a 1794 'Flowing Hair' dollar holds the current auction record ($10,016,875 in January 2013), although 'most valuable' and 'highest auction price achieved' aren't necessarily the same thing.

OP
OP
Mackaydon

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Two suggestions for the most valuable coin are the 1794 Flowing Hair Silver Dollar with a silver plug or the 1849 $20 Liberty Head Gold Double Eagle. Both unique coins however are in the Smithsonian and, most likely, will never be sold.
Don......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread