Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70

ckcdecks1

Dec 9, 2007
south jersey
Detector(s) used
titan 3000 xd
i am buy no means an expert or a novice, but i did read recently that therer were like 12 steel pennies made, very rare, see if it is magnatized. :-\
kurtis

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
It's not a mint mistake, it's post mint and potentially dangerous. I have seen some like this before and while it is true that pennies are often coated in a variety of metals in science classes all over the country every year they are also sometimes coated (although I don't know why) by individuals with mercury, which of course is quite toxic. As common as 56 wheaties are and as dangerous and mercury can be I would actually get rid of it somehow.

diggerfororo

Jul 29, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6-CZ20-Whites surf PI
Before I retired, I used to work on large airconditioning equiptment. One job entailed recoating the contacts of the big motor starters. This was done by using "silver oxide" and a damp rag to reapply silver to the copper contacts. This is a very old prossess which was used by the Romans to "silver wash bronze coins. I don't know whether this is what was done to your penny or not but I wouldn't take a chance in testing, incase it is mercury. It might not hurt you in the least BUT why take a chance for a PENNY.

Les

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Green Mountains of Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
I had the same question when I discovered a silver colored 1868 indian head penny. I was told it is probably coated with another metal, although this one does seem to feel lighter than a my other indian heads.

pinkysbliss

Aug 3, 2007
Tacoma,WA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter (for now)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's my two cents ;D ....if its magnetic its steal, if not I could not tell you what it is...as for the chemical bath thing, I have a 1995 Nickel which I thought was missing clad (new to this) but it was quickly pointed out to me that nickels are not made like that...its copper nickel alloy mix or something like that..that make Nickels shiny..so I was told that it is most likely a chemical bath that did this to it. And that it does not look like a wrong metal used due to the lack of mint luster, not sure what they mean by that..if missing a layer of clad I do not think it would be shiny..hehe...gona add some pics for you to see..

"TR"

Did a google on this.. go to http://www.omnicoin.com/user_view.aspx?id=gm99 page two or do a search for Silver Lincoln penny on this site..this is a new site to me, seems this has a huge listing of coins, photos and details.

Attachments

• 1995NICKELNOCLAD.jpg
    1995NICKELNOCLAD.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 12,842
  • 1995BACKNOCLAD.jpg
    1995BACKNOCLAD.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 11,796

EARL51

Nov 4, 2006
MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 70
Here is what I can contribute. I did electroplating for 23 years. I used to barrel plate quarters copper for my buddy that had a pinball type amusement route. Beats the nail polish painting that wore off. You should see some of the customers that saw them and thought they were mint errors. They would lie through the cracks in their teeth saying it was theirs and put in by mistake.
Anyway as far as pennies being plated, sure, nickel plating them the same way. Pure nickel that are chips used in the plating process are magnetic. Nickels you spend are a alloy with copper. Not magnetic.
Then again I put mercury on coins back in the sixth grade.

Wvmountainman

Tenderfoot
Apr 26, 2020
kanawah valley wv
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man i have a bucket that where rolls of Wheaties and i could swear other than the 43s a few are planchets of gold and 1 silverish alot of times the wieght tells all

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
i am buy no means an expert or a novice, but i did read recently that therer were like 12 steel pennies made, very rare, see if it is magnatized. :-\
kurtis

Not possible. The steel cents were 1943 only. This is WAY too late for that. The only error I can see is a wrong planchet. If they struck the coin on a dime blank, but the sound would be significantly different. Probably just post mint damage.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread