1797 Large Cent

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Green Mountains of Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
I recently purchased a 1797 large cent at a local antique group shop. I usually collect old bottles and arrowheads that I find a field and have very little knowledge about old coins. I do have a couple cigar boxes full of old coins. Some I found arrowheading and some my dad left me when he passed away. I would like to research them and display them properly. This large cent caught my eye with it 1700s date as the american coins I have are all early 1800s and newer. Could anyone tell me what the going price is for a coin like this. The front is very readable with strong date and the back is quite smooth with hardly any graphics although I can just barly make out america. On the outside protecter it says ag? What does ag stand for? I purchased it for $45.00. Did I pay to much?

Attachments

• 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    18.1 KB · Views: 588

oldplacesnofinds

May 8, 2007
Bucks County , PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Quantum II Whites Spectrum
AG means "about good". That coin is pushing poor. I would say you paid what it was worth. There are quite a few varieties for that date. I am not sure how well you would be able to id them on such a worn coin. Post pics of some of the other coins you have. We can let you know if you have something good.

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
I say the coin is smooth, nice color, not pitted or corroded. Nice for a folder. I think you paid what it is worth.

Nice coin, VPR

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$45.00 is the greysheet price for AG.

If you can get a better pic of the reverse we may be able to attribute it.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree that the back of the coin is poor. The AG grade seems like it was assigned arbitrarily by the seller. However, the 2008 Red Book lists the 1797 anywhere from $50-$60 in AG condition. Judging by the back I would say you paid what it is worth. I love the large copper coins. :)

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
C.R. HKt.B Sometimes there's not a right way, or
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are happy with the coin, thats what counts. Thats not a bad price for this coin. You may could have got a little better deal. Always research a coin before you buy it. That way you will know what you are getting going into it.

Roadquest..Clayton Ramey

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread