1953 s wheat penny error?

Ifyndit

Dec 15, 2007
The Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Corte's, Golden Sabre II, Minelab X-Terra50
I found this penny a few years ago after going through all of my coins after a metal detecting competition hunt. If you look closely at the top flat portion of the "5" (on the underside) in 1953 it appears that an extra blob of metal is there or perhaps part of another 5. I couldn't find anything in coin books that states that there is an 1953 s error. Does anyone know if there was an error/double die for a 1953s? Thanks!

Attachments

• 1953s front.jpg
    1953s front.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 2,250
  • 1953s back.jpg
    1953s back.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 1,521
  • 1953s closeup.jpg
    1953s closeup.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 4,110

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
That is where the die broke and a chip fell out, creating a void that the metal fills when striking.

Some folks cal them "cuds", other just "die breaks". Usually when you see them near the rim is when people refer to them as cuds.

Fairly common, just a little unusual is all. Good eye catching it! :)

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a die chip. Relatively common in the wheat series. You can find quite a few filling in the B of LIBERTY, and there was some folks who were quite active in collecting ones that had a chip between the B and the E. These were commonly called a BIE chip.

OP
OP
Ifyndit

Ifyndit

Dec 15, 2007
The Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Corte's, Golden Sabre II, Minelab X-Terra50
Thanks for the info. I've heard that term (cud) before but never knew what it was. Since these die breaks are fairly common I'm assuming the value isn't that great, right? What do you think this coin is worth, just out of curiosity.
:)

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
My 2008 Redbook lists it at 15 cents. You're right, not a whole lot! Still neat to have a coin that old in that nice of shape! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread