coin ID help i found it with MD UPDATE HOLY COW

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Tesoro, Whites DFX, Nokta Impact Pro, Ace 400.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this cool old coin and need help with date and ID
this is the best pic i could get and no point in showing the opther side because it flat smooth like maby its always been smooth.

Hope you can tell

we had a minus tide today and I was able to detect where you cant normaly get and this is what I found
Thanks

here is an update i found on line

24.5mm
Obv.: Yung Lo T'ung Pao
Rev.: Nail Mark on top left
Rarity:
Ref.: Not listed

HOLY COW ,,,,,......Reign Title: Yung Lo (1408-1424 a.d.)
Now im stoked

now if You guys can help me date and value it
id be stoked

it also had a pic
i knew i was right on the smooth back
thanks
Ima

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 717
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 701
OP
OP
imafishingnutt

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats very intersting heres what I read.

Now ill try to see what rare E meens

yung Lo T'ung Pao (1408-1424)
Chu Ti (Ming Cheng Tsu), the fourth son of Emperor T'ai Tsu became the Emperor of Ming empire in 1402. He used Yung Lo as his reign and transferred the capital to Peking from Nanking.

Yung Lo Emperor revived the Ming navy by dispatching a great fleet to visit countries in South-East Asia and the Indian Ocean. A shipyard was built at the new capital of Nanking and also a school for training foreign languages was established by the Yung Lo Emperor.

In 1405, the Ming Emperor sent Cheng Ho (Zheng He) [1371-1435] as commander to started his first voyages with 62 large ships, 4 of them were approximately 138 meters long and 56 meters wide. They were the largest ships ever built in history. The Ming fleet was embarked with abount 28,000 men. The ships were filled with many Chinese goods for trading with other countries during the voyage. Cheng Ho, a Muslim from Yunnan province, who proved an excellent envoy with his great seaborne expeditions, he even reached as far as the east coast of Africa.

Emperor Yung Lo issued Yung Lo T'ung Pao in the sixth year of the Yung Lo reign (AD1408), but only limited numbers minted sporadically.
Together with the development of foreign trade, many of the Hung Wu and Yung Lo cash coins were transpored to Japan from China following the maritime trade of the three provinces of Kwangtung, Chekiang and Fukien.
On the other hand, at the end of the 10th century, the power of the Japanese government weakened, so the Japanese government suspended the mintage of coins. During the middle of the 12th century, the Japanese Heian government did not cast cash coins. The Japanese government officially allowed people to use Chinese coins for the local market in 1226, so that various kinds of Chinese coin (mainly including coins of Sung and Ming Dynasty) imported from China were used as money in Japan until the Edo Period (1636) [some of the Chinese scholars believe that the latter date is 1670]. The imported Chinese coins were known as "Toraisen" in Japan. Nowadays we still find Chinese coins easily in Japan.

Coin No.: 358
Diameter : 25.5mm
Weight : 4g
Rareness : E
Obverse: Legend in Chinese characters Yung Lo T'ung Pao.
Reverse: No mint mark on the reverse.

cindy1576

Greenie
Feb 5, 2008
I would really like to know as well! Just today I was going through my coin collection and saw that I have 3 of that very same coin. (square hole, smooth on back of coin) (none have numbers or dates) Now mind you none of my coins I found metal detecting, I started collecting unusual, old and foreign coins years before I ever got a metal detector. I will have to check back and see what you find out. Good luck!

OP
OP
imafishingnutt

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cindy1576 said:
I would really like to know as well! Just today I was going through my coin collection and saw that I have 3 of that very same coin. (square hole, smooth on back of coin) (none have numbers or dates) Now mind you none of my coins I found metal detecting, I started collecting unusual, old and foreign coins years before I ever got a metal detector. I will have to check back and see what you find out. Good luck!
can we see some pics of them it would help me know if mine is worn

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions