Whats the most valuable coin YOUVE ever discovered?

What was it's value? (in US dollars)

• Total voters

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: What's the most valuable coin YOU'VE ever discovered?

WOODY50 said:
Well I don't really know about the value of my coins, I guess I have about 200+ old (040-1700) silver coin but only 9 gold ones. Some people, when they find a coin the first thing they do is look up to see how how much it is worth. I don't, that does not interest me. But they say it determins how rare it is, and I can understand that.

I do have quite a few valuable silver coins, I am sure of that. Most are english coins from the period from 1100-1500. From my gold coins these two are my favorites.

The first is a Tremissis, from Garoaldus Mainz from 440 AD, the left photo looks like the engraving is inside, actually it is sticking out of the coin (optical illusion)
The second is an Lucca, Italy.
Love that Lucca Woody :wink:

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

steelheadwill said:
WOODY50 said:
Well I don't really know about the value of my coins, I guess I have about 200+ old (040-1700) silver coin but only 9 gold ones. Some people, when they find a coin the first thing they do is look up to see how how much it is worth. I don't, that does not interest me. But they say it determins how rare it is, and I can understand that.

I do have quite a few valuable silver coins, I am sure of that. Most are english coins from the period from 1100-1500. From my gold coins these two are my favorites.

The first is a Tremissis, from Garoaldus Mainz from 440 AD, the left photo looks like the engraving is inside, actually it is sticking out of the coin (optical illusion)
The second is an Lucca, Italy.
Love that Lucca Woody :wink:
Hi SteelHeadWill... Yes it is nice, just what you would like to see for a King. I have never had the chance to look up this coin to see what it is precies, I only know it was minted in Lucca, Italy.
I found this one just about 4" from the Lucca. Pity it was not in such good shape. It is an Carolvs from 1532.

BTW Both of these coins were found in an area (dump) in Hoorn, The Netherlands, where many things were found. The dump was discovered by accident by two of us and was from the 14th century.

Attachments

• carolvs1532a.jpg
    carolvs1532a.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 853

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other

Two Golds in 4" at a dump :D
The bust on the Lucca is lovely and regal, I get my olive oil from Lucca!
HH to you! :thumbsup:

Frisian prospector

Jul 1, 2006
The Netherlands
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq

My most expensive coin has or had to be this gold dukat.
Sold this one for 18.000 usd.

Attachments

• foto album hobby 040.jpg
    foto album hobby 040.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 1,191
  • foto album hobby 039.jpg
    foto album hobby 039.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 1,610
  • foto album hobby 040.jpg
    foto album hobby 040.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 631

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Frisian prospector said:
My most expensive coin has or had to be this gold dukat.
Sold this one for 18.000 usd.
Well tell us what it is (was) Frisian. Also the weight and dimenstions. It is a great coin so to see, I am guessing that the sides were made by the mint? Sure made holes in your pockets though!

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other

My most valuable coin I have gotten for free is a Polish silver 10000 zlotych (hyperinflation period) commemorative 1987 that is UNC and is worth $40. I got it from my grandfather. My most valuable coin out of a coinstar reject tray is a 1936-D quarter in G-4. It is a semi- key date and worth $15.

Last edited:

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3

Over 3 score yrs ago, I went into a coin shop. On the counter was a bowl full of old quarters........"Take your pick...50 cents each." I looked at a few of the nicer ones and picked 2, not knowing what value they had. They were both Seated Liberty 25c and the dates were 1861 and 1883. The 1883 had a mintage of only 14,400 and is in VF condition.

999digger

Aug 31, 2010
Wisconsin

My most valuable coin is a 1908-O barber dime in really great shape. I sold it on ebay for $152. I was really surprised when i came home from school one day and it was up to $107 compared to being at $26 the night before!

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

In 2010 I found these 3 coins in the same hole. All three are in great shape, and the 1896 half has an 'S' mint mark making it a semi-key. Probably a $400 to $500 hole...

Attachments

• 321 008 - Copy (2).JPG
    321 008 - Copy (2).JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 752
  • 321 008 - Copy (2).JPG
    321 008 - Copy (2).JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 345

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I am guessing now that the most valuable coin now that I have would be the Tremissis that I found in October, which is also shown elsewhere on this site (Banner coin).
Along with this tremissis I found another tremissis but with a piece broken off. Also a Sceate, from the exact same periode (around 640 AD), along with a few other silver coins which are still being dertermined as to what exactly they are. They might later prove to be even more valuable than this Tremissis.

Attachments

• Tremissis B_resize.jpg
    Tremissis B_resize.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 633

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
1914 D Wheat Cent and a 1910 S found a month ago in Coin Roll Hunting. Both worn greatly, but sold.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I bought a 1783 Washington Token for $250. It was a brass die trial, one of two known to exist. Each die back then hand detailed. They would strike with soft medal (brass, lead, or the like) to see if the die worked. Mine was the better of the two. I held it for about 25 years and sold it for $15,000.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Mine has changed. I received a collection from my uncle's recently deceased mother ( I was the heir). In it was a 1915 Austrian ducat (they are struck as bullion like a MTT with a frozen date of 1915). It has about .11 troy oz. of gold.

Shines

Jul 25, 2012
Please respond to the poll above. Thanks.

You can also reply to this if you want, and tell us: What is it? Where'd you find it? Do you still have it? :D

I just recently found a 1935 s walking liberty stuck in a seat track of a chevy malibu my best find yet while detailing trade in's at the dealership.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1774 British Gold guinea, from a shipwreck. Melt value about $425. Because it's from that wreck, maybe more.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread