Whats the most valuable coin YOUVE ever discovered?

What was it's value? (in US dollars)

• Total voters

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im going to take a pic now but yes it looks exactly like the coin yiu are holding in the pic above

Then yes its a legitimate error then but given its current state worth only a small premium if any.

Partial collar: Often known as "railroad rim" errors, the edge, not the rim, is the portion of the coin affected. It occurs when the collar is pushed somewhat below the surface of the lower die, so that the upper portion of the coin is free to expand beyond the confines of the collar, while the lower portion is restrained. On coins struck from a reeded collar, partial reeding exists on the area restrained by the collar. The error gets the nickname "railroad rim" from its appearance - the coin, viewed edge-on, resembles the wheel from a railroad car.

Coin Errors and Goofs

here is a link to a pcgs certified coin similar to the one you have for cheap.

2000 P Massachusetts State Quarter Error Partial Collar Strike MS63 PCGS | eBay

Shines

Jul 25, 2012
Im going to take a pic now but yes it looks exactly like the coin yiu are holding in the pic above

ForumRunner_20130603_223702.png

ForumRunner_20130603_223728.png

Shines

Jul 25, 2012
[QUOTE="coinguy*matthew; Thank you for your helping me out im new to collecting coins and im willing to learn all that anyone is willing to teach,once again Thanks

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[QUOTE="coinguy*matthew; Thank you for your helping me out im new to collecting coins and im willing to learn all that anyone is willing to teach,once again Thanks

No problem any time......:icon_thumleft:

Keep hunting you never know what your gonna find I once found a broad struck tilted partial collar strike uncirculated eisenhower dollar.

1000_8fbb7ea3a5faf2bc146aa1b0be8d25bb67514bde948846b.jpg

Shines

Jul 25, 2012
No problem any time......:icon_thumleft:

Keep hunting you never know what your gonna find I once found a broad struck tilted partial collar strike uncirculated eisenhower dollar.

nice find you got lucky..I came across a walker half last week thing looked beat up but after looking closer last night it may be a possible error..obv looks to be off centered cant make out the date thats where it looks off center..the sun only has nine lines coming off the sun with one larger line twords the edge comparing my other walkers they have eleven lones off the sun....gonna post a picture tonight....

treasurechris

Tenderfoot
Sep 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a 1925 two and a half dollar gold coin at a church in nashville,tn. There is not one scratch it looks like it came straight from the mint. To top it off it was my first week ever detecting needless to say I had the fever and everyone else started buying detectors. I now realize how rare it is to find gold! It seems like it was yesterday.

holeDiver

Dec 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find all my coins to be my most valuable but if I was to come up with one it would be my flying eagle penny found it on my first day out with my grandfather's md. an haven't been able to find another one
nybuzydu.jpg

Sent from my LGMS769 using Tapatalk

CoinHuntingDrew

Dec 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro & Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1999 Wide am (corroded beyond belief lol)
1983 Double die
1984 double die
1972 ddo-03 i think.... i found it a few weeks/months ago. realized it was one a few days ago actually =P
and best of all, from what i believe is for sure, a 1992 D close am. i still have to get it looked at.

dandut46

Nov 21, 2013
ma
Detector(s) used
Atpro ,etrac,t2se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1802 bust large cent nice grade new to hobby so its good for me .l say its worth 200 or so

Stripeythecrab

Apr 4, 2013
WI, USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My most valuable coin is an 1875-S 20c piece I picked out of a dealer's bin. It has a full, raised LIBERTY (different from all the other seated liberty designs, which are incuse,) so I grade it around XF-40. But the only problem is that is has a small hole drilled at about 1 o'clock... :BangHead:

I don't really know how to accurately value it. Without that hole, it's a darn good looking coin. And the hole doesn't change the low mintage factor (1.1M) but it's a real wrench in the system... I also don't know if the dealer really knew what he had because his price was only $7. So no matter the real value, I think I got a great deal on this one! I'm just happy to now own the type!

CoinHuntingDrew

Dec 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro & Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 10 years of CRHing since '04, almost every week, i found a '83 double die. lol

JunkLover

Jan 29, 2014
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Haven't had the chance to do any actual detecting yet, but my current crown jewel is a 1943 war nickel that I found in my change jar a couple months ago. It's in good condition for being in circulation, but I have no idea what its actual grade would be. Perhaps not tremendously impressive as far as coins go, but just goes to show that sometimes you don't even need to leave the house to find treasure. :)

Frisian prospector

Jul 1, 2006
The Netherlands
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq
Must be this one i guess, dont know its value but for sure its a 5 digit number.

Its a rare carolingian coin, a die duplicat of this coin is in a collection in a museum in Paris.

Attachments

• DSCN2240.JPG
    DSCN2240.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 285
  • DSCN2241.JPG
    DSCN2241.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 282

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F75, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine is an 1870 10 Centimos Spanish coin! Found it a couple of weeks ago! Looks like it was used as a necklace. Not shure how much is it worth but I have seen a few at ebay and at some local online shops in Spain for $50-110$. So far that's the best!

Attachments

• image-2242341869.jpg
    image-2242341869.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 251
  • image-710300587.jpg
    image-710300587.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 249

AMorgan

Feb 22, 2008
Houston Texas
Detecting: 1851-O 3 cent silver... AU condition, minimal environmental damage.. Value? $180 ish...
Best purchase to value ratio: 1866 Hong Kong 1 mil MS 62 Purchased for $1.60 in UK camden locks market value around $140
Most valuable find, bronze pattern 1921 chinese 10c had it slabbed as NGC ms63, estimated value $1800

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread