Whats a good coin book?

TXDIRTFISHER

Dec 11, 2007
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
F75LTD / Tejon
What's a good coin book?

I've got a lot of coins that I've found but I have no clue if any are worth anything. I always ready on t-net about someone being excited to find a "key date" dime, penny, quater, etc. I have no clue what years and or mint marks make a coin a great find. What is the name of the book everyone uses that lists coin values by grade?

Also...can someone tell me the "top 10" coins you could hope to find metal detecting (not impossible to find and rare)? I always hear about the 1909 S VBD penny but I have no clue what makes it worth so much. Maybe the book would help. Thanks.

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: What's a good coin book?

A good book to look into buying is the "Red Book" a Guide Book of US Coins. The reason the 1909 S VDB is because there was not many minted. Think it was only around 484,000 minted. Good luck and HH

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

The best most up to date publication for the collector is a publication called Coin values and is free with a subscription to Coin World. This is sent out monthly with coinwiold as a complimentary thing.
Coin World is a weekly publication.
Coin Values is updated monthly.

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300 Sunray DX-1 probe/ XLT Sunray XL-1 probe

I would go with the red book too.
This book has tons of info on coins, and its only $20. I use mine a lot.
The coin pics are color and the actual size of the coin.
Its got pre US colonial coins and commemorative coins and tokens too.
Take a look.
DSC00901.JPG
DSC00902.JPG
DSC00903.JPG
DSC00904.JPG
DSC00905.JPG
DSC00906.JPG
HH.
Donny

OP
OP
TXDIRTFISHER

TXDIRTFISHER

Dec 11, 2007
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
F75LTD / Tejon

Djabend,

Thanks for posting those pics of your red book. I'll pick one up this week. Thanks again.

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used

TXBLUZMAN said:
Djabend,

Thanks for posting those pics of your red book. I'll pick one up this week. Thanks again.
No problem, let me know what you think when you get it.
HH,
Donny

OP
OP
TXDIRTFISHER

TXDIRTFISHER

Dec 11, 2007
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
F75LTD / Tejon

Djabend,

I just noticed you live in upstate NY. I used to work in Plattsburgh, NY. One of my co-workers bought a 40 acre farm up there and when he was remodling his house he found some newspapers from the 1800's in the walls. Turns out his house used to be a general store and post office in the 1800's. He asked me if he should buy a detector. I couldn't tell him yes fast enough. Hopefully he gets one and takes advantage of what he has under and around his house. I can only imagine what is there.

I thought I'd share my NY story with you. I'm from Texas and I hate the cold so NY didn't work out very well for me. I'll take the 100 degree summers over the -10 winters.

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used

TXBLUZMAN said:
Djabend,

I just noticed you live in upstate NY. I used to work in Plattsburgh, NY. One of my co-workers bought a 40 acre farm up there and when he was remodling his house he found some newspapers from the 1800's in the walls. Turns out his house used to be a general store and post office in the 1800's. He asked me if he should buy a detector. I couldn't tell him yes fast enough. Hopefully he gets one and takes advantage of what he has under and around his house. I can only imagine what is there.

I thought I'd share my NY story with you. I'm from Texas and I hate the cold so NY didn't work out very well for me. I'll take the 100 degree summers over the -10 winters.
Yeah lots of history here. I don't think I will ever leave NY because of that, I even hunt in the cold when possible.
I wonder what he found. HURRY UP AND MELT SNOW! lol
Thanks for the story.
HH,
Donny

treasureace14

Dec 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
ace250

definatly red book.
but go to publix and theyll have a coin magazine in the magazine section.

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2

TXBLUZMAN,

I picked up a copy of the RedBook a few weeks ago,and i agree it has alot of info that is really helpful.
Another source that increased my knowledge of U.S. coins before i got the RedBook is the COIN PRICES magazine..(not as much in depth info as the RB but well worth the subscription price and a good addition to any book/mag. collection)...$18 for 1 year.(6 issues i believe)

Shawn

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You also need to purchase this..
The Official American Numismatic Association Grading Standards For United States Coins
Without knowing the grade, the red book is only partially usefull...

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

Cosmic,

I agree with you.
That is why I re comended the coin values as a source.
It has a new grading article in it every month.
as well as history and little known mint facts.
it deals with do's and don'ts as far as collecting ,
where to get the best prices for coins you want to sell.
and detecting counterfeits
and much more.
If you have a coin shop close the magazine can be purchased individually over the counter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread